RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,569
Posts: 5,514,302
Members: 25,148
Currently online: 404
Newest member: Brian R.W.

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 5 2014, 02:51 AM   #1126
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

The Abortion argument comes up from time to time.

Women sometimes have to terminate their foetus to survive.

Neelix and Tuvok had to terminate their composite to survive.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 07:10 AM   #1127
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

You know what gets to me? EVERYONE talks as though Tuvix is now DEAD because he was terminated to give us back Neelix and Tuvok. And they like to say how Tuvok and Neelix LIVE ON in Tuvix.. well doesn't Tuvix live on in Tuvok and Neelix?

I know I would never get over such a mashup.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 07:40 AM   #1128
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

M wrote: View Post
Vandervecken wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
I disagree that not brining back Tuvok and Neelix would have been murder. Murder generally requires you do an act which results in the death of another person. If you do nothing (unless you had a duty of care i.e. a Doctor) than you can't be held liable for murder.


So, if two crewman were badly and mortally injured, it would NOT be murder to withhold medical attention from them? If Neelix and Tuvok were lying in a corridor with phaser burns that would be mortal without treatment, it'd be just fine, and not murder, for everyone to just walk by them? It certainly would be murder, in the Doctor's case at least, as you pointed out.

While most jurisdictions don't have "good Samaritan" laws that require people passing another who is harmed to, say, take him to the hospital, I'd say most of us would find someone who simply passed an injured person on the street, one unable to help himself, to be acting in a pretty morally objectionable fashion.

But these are crewmates on a ship, not simply stranger civilians passing each other by, and I'd guess that the Starfleet code of military justice would require them to help each other.

Anyway, this thread isn't about law, but in fact IS about ethics.
Aren't you overlooking one very important fact in your little scenario there? Helping those two crewmembers with Phaser wounds would obviously NOT kill another sentinent being! That's the key difference and it's beyond me how you can't see that. So yes, if you need it spelt out for you: If you had to end some innocent's life in order two save those two people, then yes, it WOULD be murder. I don't see what's so difficult about that.

MacLeod, I admire your continuing efforts in this thread. I think you should be commended. I honestly don't know how you can still have this discussion. It's like tilting at windmills. Frankly, I'm somewhat freaked out at the sheer number of people who consider the killing of an intelligent, feeling being to save two friends as the right thing. I don't see the grey area in this episode and the "there wasn't a right decision". Well, people, killing somebody ain't it.
Because Tuvix is the thing with two heads. Why can't the brain be unscrambled, but attached at the ass can be?
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 07:46 AM   #1129
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Tuvok already had two brains.

One was a three thousand year old strain of sentient syphilis, which probably means that it had a greater right to exist than Tuvok except for the fact that it was a strain of sentient syphilis.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:16 AM   #1130
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

NO. Old people and viruses have had their turn, they have to give way to the young.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:21 AM   #1131
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

You ever wonder what would happen if that Romulan inside Tuvok from Meld got free again?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:50 AM   #1132
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral
 
Ho Ho Homeier's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's place
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Ratings sweepweeks?
__________________
Curly: Oh, you hit Santa Claus. Just for that, no toys! --Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Ho Ho Homeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 08:56 AM   #1133
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

It would be just like ENT with secret Romulans.

I want to amend my previous post. When I am super old and someone comes to me and says TIMES UP make way for the young I will say, "just hold on dearie, let me get my slippers" and reach under the bed and whip out a big ass cannon phaser thingie and blow them away. Well, I'll give them the option to leave quickly, because I understand the rashness of youth that would request such a thing.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 09:03 AM   #1134
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

We're getting back into Fried Green Tomatoes territory.

Are any of us sure that we are still young?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 09:22 AM   #1135
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

I am, when I remember. And the Geritol and coffee kicks in
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 10:01 AM   #1136
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
M wrote: View Post
Vandervecken wrote: View Post

So, if two crewman were badly and mortally injured, it would NOT be murder to withhold medical attention from them? If Neelix and Tuvok were lying in a corridor with phaser burns that would be mortal without treatment, it'd be just fine, and not murder, for everyone to just walk by them? It certainly would be murder, in the Doctor's case at least, as you pointed out.

While most jurisdictions don't have "good Samaritan" laws that require people passing another who is harmed to, say, take him to the hospital, I'd say most of us would find someone who simply passed an injured person on the street, one unable to help himself, to be acting in a pretty morally objectionable fashion.

But these are crewmates on a ship, not simply stranger civilians passing each other by, and I'd guess that the Starfleet code of military justice would require them to help each other.

Anyway, this thread isn't about law, but in fact IS about ethics.
Aren't you overlooking one very important fact in your little scenario there? Helping those two crewmembers with Phaser wounds would obviously NOT kill another sentinent being! That's the key difference and it's beyond me how you can't see that.
No, I didn't overlook that. But I'm afraid you seem to have (at least partially) overlooked my first post in this thread. I wrote that BOTH acts--dismantling Tuvix, or leaving Tuvok and Neelix forever in an oblivion of nonselfhood--are murder.

Here's what I wrote (a few posts above):

I'm not saying that what was done to Tuvix wasn't murder, but I AM saying that not bringing back Tuvok and Neelix would ALSO have been murder. There really is no good moral/ethical equation to work this out. The moral, of course, is to never get in the fershlugginer transporter! Ever!
So - a doctor commits murder by NOT hitting a passer-by with a crow bar, taking him to the hospital and cutting him up in spare parts - because these spare organs could save the lives of 2 (or more) terminally ill patients.
And, as such, the actions of the doctor that killed a person for spare organs are not creepily evil, but in a moral 'gray' area'.

Really?
Let's euphemistically call the moral values wanna-be you expoused here, 'interesting', Vandervecken.
You're not even the first one to come up with such concepts; J Mengele - and others - thought along the same lines.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 11:09 AM   #1137
hux
Lieutenant Commander
 
hux's Avatar
 
Location: With your mum
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Really?
Let's euphemistically call the moral values wanna-be you expoused here, 'interesting', Vandervecken.
You're not even the first one to come up with such concepts; J Mengele - and others - thought along the same lines.
Awww dude, just when you were doing so well, you had to go there

Is this thread still going....didin't i win it about 5 pages back....could've sworn i totally won it
__________________
_________________________________

hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 01:27 PM   #1138
Vandervecken
Commander
 
Vandervecken's Avatar
 
Location: Kobold
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Vandervecken wrote: View Post
M wrote: View Post
Aren't you overlooking one very important fact in your little scenario there? Helping those two crewmembers with Phaser wounds would obviously NOT kill another sentinent being! That's the key difference and it's beyond me how you can't see that.
No, I didn't overlook that. But I'm afraid you seem to have (at least partially) overlooked my first post in this thread. I wrote that BOTH acts--dismantling Tuvix, or leaving Tuvok and Neelix forever in an oblivion of nonselfhood--are murder.

Here's what I wrote (a few posts above):

I'm not saying that what was done to Tuvix wasn't murder, but I AM saying that not bringing back Tuvok and Neelix would ALSO have been murder. There really is no good moral/ethical equation to work this out. The moral, of course, is to never get in the fershlugginer transporter! Ever!
So - a doctor commits murder by NOT hitting a passer-by with a crow bar, taking him to the hospital and cutting him up in spare parts - because these spare organs could save the lives of 2 (or more) terminally ill patients.
And, as such, the actions of the doctor that killed a person for spare organs are not creepily evil, but in a moral 'gray' area'.

Really?
Let's euphemistically call the moral values wanna-be you expoused here, 'interesting', Vandervecken.
You're not even the first one to come up with such concepts; J Mengele - and others - thought along the same lines.
...and we have a winner of the Godwin's law-first contest!


LMAO! Look bra, I can't help it if you miss something right under your nose--ie, a post 2 posts above the one in which you completely misstate what I wrote. I know you feel a need now to try to attack what I've written from some other angle--that of non-originality now--because it seems you've invested a great deal of your self-esteem in a posting board, but at least try to keep it on an adult track, ok?

Ok, so you're comparing not actively murdering someone to walking by mortally injured crewmates and granting no succor? And you ARE saying Tuvok and Neelix are less important than Tuvix in this scenario, right? Because leaving them without necessary medical/technological attention in this case works out to that, and I think you don't much like the corner you've painted yourself into. Bear in mind I was writing that both acts are murder.

Nope, didn't think I was the first to come up with this conclusion. Somehow I don't think Mengele did either.

Oh, MAN, this is too rich!
__________________
"Mu hah hah ha! And when they give me Battlestar Galactica that'll be the trifecta! My red matter and action movie scripts are unstoppable!"--JJ "Destroyer of Worlds" Abrams
Vandervecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 01:29 PM   #1139
Vandervecken
Commander
 
Vandervecken's Avatar
 
Location: Kobold
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

teacake wrote: View Post
You know what gets to me? EVERYONE talks as though Tuvix is now DEAD because he was terminated to give us back Neelix and Tuvok. And they like to say how Tuvok and Neelix LIVE ON in Tuvix.. well doesn't Tuvix live on in Tuvok and Neelix?

I know I would never get over such a mashup.
A marvelous point.
__________________
"Mu hah hah ha! And when they give me Battlestar Galactica that'll be the trifecta! My red matter and action movie scripts are unstoppable!"--JJ "Destroyer of Worlds" Abrams
Vandervecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2014, 02:36 PM   #1140
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Vandervecken wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Vandervecken wrote: View Post

No, I didn't overlook that. But I'm afraid you seem to have (at least partially) overlooked my first post in this thread. I wrote that BOTH acts--dismantling Tuvix, or leaving Tuvok and Neelix forever in an oblivion of nonselfhood--are murder.

Here's what I wrote (a few posts above):
So - a doctor commits murder by NOT hitting a passer-by with a crow bar, taking him to the hospital and cutting him up in spare parts - because these spare organs could save the lives of 2 (or more) terminally ill patients.
And, as such, the actions of the doctor that killed a person for spare organs are not creepily evil, but in a moral 'gray' area'.

Really?
Let's euphemistically call the moral values wanna-be you expoused here, 'interesting', Vandervecken.
You're not even the first one to come up with such concepts; J Mengele - and others - thought along the same lines.
Ok, so you're comparing not actively murdering someone to walking by mortally injured crewmates and granting no succor? And you ARE saying Tuvok and Neelix are less important than Tuvix in this scenario, right? Because leaving them without necessary medical/technological attention in this case works out to that, and I think you don't much like the corner you've painted yourself into. Bear in mind I was writing that both acts are murder.
I'm comparing - legitimately - your absurd qualification as murder of the act of refusing to kill a person to save 2* with the qualification as murder of the act made by a doctor of refusing to kill a person to save 2.

As for where you advocated just this qualification - apparently, you think posters here can't read your previous posts. lol.

*how did you put it?: "leaving Tuvok and Neelix forever in an oblivion of nonselfhood [by not killing Tuvix] --are murder"

...and we have a winner of the Godwin's law-first contest!

LMAO! Look bra, I can't help it if you miss something right under your nose--ie, a post 2 posts above the one in which you completely misstate what I wrote. I know you feel a need now to try to attack what I've written from some other angle--that of non-originality now--because it seems you've invested a great deal of your self-esteem in a posting board, but at least try to keep it on an adult track, ok?

Nope, didn't think I was the first to come up with this conclusion. Somehow I don't think Mengele did either.

Oh, MAN, this is too rich!
Originality? You actually post this to be the substance of my last post? Talk about grasping at straws.
The substance of my post was your lack of coherent moral thinking as evidenced by your advocacy of obscene "morals".

About the posting of 'Godwin's law': You actually think the naming of the troupe obfuscates the fact that you are the "moral" succesor of Mengele and its ilk? Good luck with this one.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
janeway

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.