RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,841
Posts: 5,327,550
Members: 24,551
Currently online: 605
Newest member: Vargr1

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 16 2013, 12:41 AM   #286
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Deckerd wrote: View Post
The Enterprise crew were only truly interesting when they took their clothes off.
Actually that was one of the biggest flaws of ENT. I felt so embarrassed to be a Trek fans while watching that series because of how many near naked bodies and decon scenes thrown at our faces.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:01 AM   #287
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Dream wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
The Enterprise crew were only truly interesting when they took their clothes off.
Actually that was one of the biggest flaws of ENT. I felt so embarrassed to be a Trek fans while watching that series because of how many near naked bodies and decon scenes thrown at our faces.
Agreed. All that random nudity just seemed as artificial as... well dare I say it, T'Pol's boobs. If I wanted random nudity and sexiness I'd just go for the real thing instead of a sci-fi show.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:14 AM   #288
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Dream wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
The Enterprise crew were only truly interesting when they took their clothes off.
Actually that was one of the biggest flaws of ENT. I felt so embarrassed to be a Trek fans while watching that series because of how many near naked bodies and decon scenes thrown at our faces.
Well we all know Trekkies are scared of nudity and sex.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:16 AM   #289
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

I always thought that Trekkies were scarred by nudity and sex.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:18 AM   #290
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

R. Star wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
The Enterprise crew were only truly interesting when they took their clothes off.
Actually that was one of the biggest flaws of ENT. I felt so embarrassed to be a Trek fans while watching that series because of how many near naked bodies and decon scenes thrown at our faces.
Agreed. All that random nudity just seemed as artificial as... well dare I say it, T'Pol's boobs. If I wanted random nudity and sexiness I'd just go for the real thing instead of a sci-fi show.
Several of the classic Sci-fi novels feature random sex scenes.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:20 AM   #291
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Defiant Obrien wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Given a long speech about how noble it would be to sacrifice yourself to save two others that Tuvix would have no choice but to fall on his sword.
I disagree! I think picard would have advocated tuvix as his own being and capable of making his own choice. Im actually surprised Janeway went so hitler on him.

Shows the difference in maturity between her and picard (and even Sisko).. Her pompousness is one of the reasons I was never a big fan of voyager.

There were several episodes when I was like "Who does this !@#!@# think she is???"
Pilot ep: "She's the Captain."
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:24 AM   #292
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post

Actually that was one of the biggest flaws of ENT. I felt so embarrassed to be a Trek fans while watching that series because of how many near naked bodies and decon scenes thrown at our faces.
Agreed. All that random nudity just seemed as artificial as... well dare I say it, T'Pol's boobs. If I wanted random nudity and sexiness I'd just go for the real thing instead of a sci-fi show.
Several of the classic Sci-fi novels feature random sex scenes.
Another era, where random sex scenes made you cutting edge.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:38 AM   #293
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

BillJ wrote: View Post
Well we all know Trekkies are scared of nudity and sex.
There was nothing sexy about those scenes. They were all embarrassingly juvenile. It felt like they were written by 15 year old.

Trek has never handled sex well, mostly it always comes off as a joke.
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:50 AM   #294
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Dream wrote: View Post
Trek has never handled sex well, mostly it always comes off as a joke.
Yep. That's why subtext is better. Though I didn't exactly mind NuKirk in bed with Gaila, that was fun and normal.

This is the sexiest scene Trek ever did IMO, or rather the only sexy scene Trek ever did.


__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:59 AM   #295
Brit
Captain
 
Brit's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Dream wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Well we all know Trekkies are scared of nudity and sex.
There was nothing sexy about those scenes. They were all embarrassingly juvenile. It felt like they were written by 15 year old.

Trek has never handled sex well, mostly it always comes off as a joke.
The fifteen year old male was the target demographic of the Trek producers.

"Of course, the young male demographic has always been the target demographic for Star Trek, the men ageing fifteen to about twenty-five or thirty, a very tough market to appeal to." - Kate Mulgrew
__________________
"My name is Matai Shang and I do not exist, indeed I work very hard at it."

Avatar by Me
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 02:01 AM   #296
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Brit wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Well we all know Trekkies are scared of nudity and sex.
There was nothing sexy about those scenes. They were all embarrassingly juvenile. It felt like they were written by 15 year old.

Trek has never handled sex well, mostly it always comes off as a joke.
The fifteen year old male was the target demographic of the Trek producers.

"Of course, the young male demographic has always been the target demographic for Star Trek, the men ageing fifteen to about twenty-five or thirty, a very tough market to appeal to." - Kate Mulgrew
I don't know what the heck is wrong with Trek writers that they found it completely impossible to write "smart and sexy".

Someone will now remind me that Star Trek is "a family show".
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 02:09 AM   #297
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Brit wrote: View Post
The fifteen year old male was the target demographic of the Trek producers.

"Of course, the young male demographic has always been the target demographic for Star Trek, the men ageing fifteen to about twenty-five or thirty, a very tough market to appeal to." - Kate Mulgrew
Except in 1966, when I was a fifteen year old male.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 02:13 PM   #298
Brit
Captain
 
Brit's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Melakon wrote: View Post
Brit wrote: View Post
The fifteen year old male was the target demographic of the Trek producers.

"Of course, the young male demographic has always been the target demographic for Star Trek, the men ageing fifteen to about twenty-five or thirty, a very tough market to appeal to." - Kate Mulgrew
Except in 1966, when I was a fifteen year old male.
And yep you are right, TOS was hitting all the "right" demographics and was canceled because at that time the networks were only looking at total numbers. When they finally switched over to "demographics" they discovered that they had canceled the wrong show. This was about the same time that CBS discovered all their widely watched shows were appealing to older people and they canceled really popular TV shows because the "demographic" that advertisers wanted were young people not the older ones that watched CBS.

In 1966, when you were fifteen and I was nineteen, the viewers of TOS were the "perfect" demographic and the networks didn't know it.
__________________
"My name is Matai Shang and I do not exist, indeed I work very hard at it."

Avatar by Me
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 02:39 PM   #299
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

In 1966 my mother was 11.

A couple years later, and I do mean a couple, by the time she discovered beer, I think that she forgot that television existed.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 03:15 PM   #300
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander
 
Sadara's Avatar
 
Location: Washington State
View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
SO much pin-head dancing. I'll say it again: If two of your kids were fused into one being and started crowing about his rights...you wouldn't hesitate for one second to pull the plug and get your kids back.
This. I understand the moral and ethical issue with the whole Tuvix thing, but I don't think I'd be able to write Tuvok and Neelix off as dead if there was a way to get them back. They have the right to have their lives back.
__________________
Avatar by Nightwing1975
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
janeway

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.