Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 10 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Michael Okuda: Buy TNG Blu-ray sets to get DS9 on Blu-ray!

http://whatculture.com/film/star-tre...ce-nine-hd.php

Cool!
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 10:32 PM   #2
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Michael Okuda: Buy TNG Blu-ray sets to get DS9 on Blu-ray!

Now that's almost blackmail.
JarodRussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 11:09 PM   #3
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

I like TNG; I have all seven seasons on DVD. I don't think I would want it/need it on Blu-ray. However, if it gets a DS9 Blu-ray release, I might just consider it. I'm looking forward to seeing Deep Space 9 itself in "Birthright, Part I".
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:52 PM   #4
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

The special features on the Blu-ray releases are quite impressive; it would be really cool to get new interviews with the main, recurring and notable DS9 guest actors, the writers and directors.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 11:38 PM   #5
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

I think DS9's, a Voyager for that matter, release in HD is inevitable. Star Trek is too lucrative of franchise for Paramount not to upgrade DS9 and Voyager into HD. TV is nearly all HD and if Paramount what to continue to make syndication money it has to upgrade the shows. Whether or not the show gets the TNG treatment of special features we shall see. I would love to see a DS9 cast reunion!!!!

I would love, love, love to see DS9 get the same treatment as TNG. The fact that Enterprise was put onto bluray says something. Yes, ENT was shot in HD, but it was also the least popular of the Trek shows in terms of ratings and Paramount is pouring money into the special features.
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Getting TNG on blu-ray is on the list that I want. But DS9 shall be higher.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Leroy
Fleet Captain

TNG on BD even with all the problems they have had is still worth every penny. The releases certainly have not been a fly by night cash grab that the feature films have been. I'm hoping the work done on 'Birthright' in season 6 will drum up some interest for DS9 on BD.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 11:17 PM   #8
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Leroy wrote: View Post
TNG on BD even with all the problems they have had is still worth every penny. The releases certainly have not been a fly by night cash grab that the feature films have been. I'm hoping the work done on 'Birthright' in season 6 will drum up some interest for DS9 on BD.
I expect that will be the case. I think it will be similar to when we saw Trials and Tribble-ations for the first time on DVD and everyone was marveling on how amazing the Enterprise looked when it first appeared on the viewscreen. I've got a feeling DS9 (The space station that is) is going to look absolutely spectacular in HD, and it will whet the appetite to get the series on blu-ray.
Old April 14 2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Kira Nerys
Fleet Captain

I see no reason to buy a DVD set I already have .I like TNG but,not as much as DS9.
Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 02:30 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Leroy wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure the decision/announcement will come before we see TNG season six released. If they're planning on continuing to release a season set every four months.
Old April 14 2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Kira Nerys wrote:
I see no reason to buy a DVD set I already have .I like TNG but,not as much as DS9.
TNG on BD really is like night and day, they took away that cheap looking 80's style and gave it the timeless and cinematic style that it was always meant to have.
Old April 14 2013, 04:39 PM   #12
MacLeod
Admiral

I'm waiting for the complete box set to come out. Now if they had done something special with the packaging like steelbook or something similar it might be a different story.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 06:00 PM   #13
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Macod wrote:
I'm waiting for the complete box set to come out. Now if they had done something special with the packaging like steelbook or something similar it might be a different story.
They have gone through and re-dited the episodes from scratch, replaced and effects that weren't possible in HD, and gave it a remastering that normally only companies like Criterion do, not to mention the special features like the cast reunion. That blows anything special they can do with the packaging like steelbooks out of the water, this isn't an upconvert or a DVD rip we're talking about.
Old April 22 2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Gee... Wonder why!
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 12:23 AM   #15
davejames
Vice Admiral

I really, really hope this happens, but I still can't help but think it's a long shot. Yeah I know, nobody expected TNG in HD to ever happen either, but it was also a huge, mainstream hit and is still showing regularly in syndication and cable.

DS9, as awesome as it is, has been pretty much forgotten by all but the most diehard fans, and it doesn't show on TV hardly anywhere. And I can't imagine CBS would want to put in all that money just for blu-ray sales alone...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote