RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,555
Posts: 5,401,702
Members: 24,861
Currently online: 575
Newest member: bunty2

TrekToday headlines

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 21 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Astroboy
Ensign
 
View Astroboy's Twitter Profile
Writing my first little book

Hey so I am writing my first book and I am wondering if you think my concept is cool. So its about a experimental starship that is made to carry many starships inside of it. The idea is that this one ship is capable of transwarp speeds and can carry vessels that are not able to go transwarp to places far away. It is also to be the most heavly armed ship ever built by the federation.

So what do you think?
__________________
Astroboy is not scared of your threats of assimilation. Resistance is useful when I use my plasma weapons on you. You will find you can not adapt.
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
CeJay
Commodore
 
CeJay's Avatar
 
Re: Writing my first little book

I like the idea of a starship transporter. But it would have to make sense within the logic of your story. For example, why could you fit the transporter ship with transwarp but not the smaller ships?

I would stay away from the super-ship concept though. The idea of the best armed starship in the fleet is an old cliche and probably limits your story-telling opportunities. Cargo ships aren't usually heavily armed and it would be much more interesting to follow the story of a ship which may get outgunned instead of one that can easily best any enemy it encounters.
__________________
Visit StarEagleAdventures.com for original fan-fiction e-books for your preferred e-reader.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Astroboy
Ensign
 
View Astroboy's Twitter Profile
Re: Writing my first little book

CeJay wrote: View Post
I like the idea of a starship transporter. But it would have to make sense within the logic of your story. For example, why could you fit the transporter ship with transwarp but not the smaller ships?

I would stay away from the super-ship concept though. The idea of the best armed starship in the fleet is an old cliche and probably limits your story-telling opportunities. Cargo ships aren't usually heavily armed and it would be much more interesting to follow the story of a ship which may get outgunned instead of one that can easily best any enemy it encounters.
well thats part of the idea. I can spin off and follow any one of the ships it brings with it for up to 6 or 7 chapters, including a cargo ship. The other part (Your going to hate me) is I am going cross universe and Astroboy will make an appearance in the story at some point
__________________
Astroboy is not scared of your threats of assimilation. Resistance is useful when I use my plasma weapons on you. You will find you can not adapt.
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Sandoval
Fleet Captain
 
Sandoval's Avatar
 
Re: Writing my first little book

Astroboy?

So what's the deal here? You're twelve years old or something?

I'm asking as a courtesy because I don't like berating children (much).
__________________
Ⓢ Ⓐ Ⓝ Ⓓ Ⓞ Ⓥ Ⓐ Ⓛ
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Angry Fanboy
Lieutenant Commander
 
Angry Fanboy's Avatar
 
Angry Fanboy

Sandoval wrote: View Post
Astroboy?

So what's the deal here? You're twelve years old or something?

I'm asking as a courtesy because I don't like berating children (much).
I think I was about sixteen when I started.

Sixteen and sat in my bedroom writing Star Trek fan fiction...
__________________
Angry Fanboy
"Majestic"
"Home"
Angry Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: Writing my first little book

Astroboy wrote: View Post
Hey so I am writing my first book and I am wondering if you think my concept is cool. So its about a experimental starship that is made to carry many starships inside of it. The idea is that this one ship is capable of transwarp speeds and can carry vessels that are not able to go transwarp to places far away. It is also to be the most heavly armed ship ever built by the federation.

So what do you think?
I loved it when I thought of it five years ago...
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Sandoval
Fleet Captain
 
Sandoval's Avatar
 
Re: Writing my first little book

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I loved it when I thought of it five years ago...
I call bullshit on that.

Transplanting the aircraft-carrier concept into Star Trek? Like that hasn't been thought of a thousand times by a thousand different people.

As if 'a big fast ship carrying smaller ships' is some unique, ground-breaking concept and anyone with a similar idea could only have conceived it by plagiarising something you posted five years ago.

Get real.
__________________
Ⓢ Ⓐ Ⓝ Ⓓ Ⓞ Ⓥ Ⓐ Ⓛ
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Sandoval
Fleet Captain
 
Sandoval's Avatar
 
Re: Writing my first little book

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I loved it when I thought of it five years ago...
And while we're on the subject your concept is nothing but one massive fanboy cliché from beginning to end, what with all the mammoth ships crewed by thousands of 'sentients' fast enough to 'hop' between galaxies in search of the centre of the cosmos, so I wouldn't be quite so eager to lay claim to it if I were you.
__________________
Ⓢ Ⓐ Ⓝ Ⓓ Ⓞ Ⓥ Ⓐ Ⓛ
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 12:08 AM   #9
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: Writing my first little book

Sandoval wrote: View Post
I call bullshit on that.

Transplanting the aircraft-carrier concept into Star Trek? Like that hasn't been thought of a thousand times by a thousand different people.

As if 'a big fast ship carrying smaller ships' is some unique, ground-breaking concept and anyone with a similar idea could only have conceived it by plagiarising something you posted five years ago.

Get real.

And while we're on the subject your concept is nothing but one massive fanboy cliché from beginning to end, what with all the mammoth ships crewed by thousands of 'sentients' fast enough to 'hop' between galaxies in search of the centre of the cosmos, so I wouldn't be quite so eager to lay claim to it if I were you.

Did I piss on your fish or something in a past life there, Sandy? First you jump down Astroboy's throat for nothing more than his choice of user name, then you jump down my throat in his defense.

One might suspect your were some kind of troll.

You wouldn't be one of those, wouldja?
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 12:29 AM   #10
Count Zero
Decidedly something
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: Writing my first little book

Please don't accuse other posters of trolling, Admiral2. If you find a post objectionable hit the notify Mod button on it instead.
Sandoval, please try to be a bit less provocative in your wording when you offer critique to writers here. People usually invest plenty of time and passion into their writing without anything material in return and while a lot of fan fiction (overall, generally speaking) isn't very good it would be wise to keep that in mind when giving feedback.

Let's get back on topic.
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Last edited by Count Zero; May 7 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 08:54 AM   #11
Angry Fanboy
Lieutenant Commander
 
Angry Fanboy's Avatar
 
Angry Fanboy

It does seem a little deluded to imagine that a person posting a 'starship carrier' concept could only have stolen it from a story outline posted in another forum five years ago.

I've seen it multiple times in different Star Trek fan fictions, it's hardly unique.
__________________
Angry Fanboy
"Majestic"
"Home"
Angry Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Count Zero
Decidedly something
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: Writing my first little book

Then again, Admiral2 didn't accuse anyone of having stolen it. He just posted a link to a similar idea he had a while ago. He'd have to clarify what he meant by it.
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 04:32 PM   #13
Sandoval
Fleet Captain
 
Sandoval's Avatar
 
Re: Writing my first little book

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Then again, Admiral2 didn't accuse anyone of having stolen it. He just posted a link to a similar idea he had a while ago.
He didn't say "here's my link to a SIMILAR idea", he said "when I thought of it."

The intent was as clear as day to anyone with eyes, however much you may wish to deny it.

I simply called him on it, and subsequently called him on his staggeringly fanboyish concept.
__________________
Ⓢ Ⓐ Ⓝ Ⓓ Ⓞ Ⓥ Ⓐ Ⓛ
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.