Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 14 2013, 10:30 PM   #31
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: Bottom 5 Episodes/Serials

1. Dimensions in Time - I know its canon/contiuity status is debatable, but it is easily the worst thing ever to bear the name Doctor Who.
  2. Time and the Rani - Worst introduction story ever (and I like the 7th Doctor quite a bit, but his first season was horrid)
  3. Dragonfire - Another horrible story that introduced one of my favorite characters.
  4. Snakedance - Awful sequel to a great story.
  5. Timelash - I haven't seen it in 20 years, but I remember hating it,
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 10:41 PM   #32
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

1) Dude I don't even count tht one! But why they chose the Rani as the villain god knows. Never seen it though, I don't think they released it in a special features on one of the serials.
2) You do hate the Rani don't you! (Relax, I hate her too!). Not seen it, but all I've heard is bas bad things about it.
3) Meh, I can give or take it. But yeah, shame they didn't introduce Ace better.
4) Never even heard of it. Which Doctor was it?
5) Saw that one, didn't mind it. I remember giving it average reviews.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:57 AM   #33
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Gonna have to limit this one to the New Series, as I've not yet seen most of what folks consider the dreck of the Classic Series. (Mostly because it's hard to bring myself to buy something considered dreck.)

5. Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks
4. The Vampires of Venice
3. 42
2. Love and Monsters
1. Fear Her
Old April 16 2013, 02:06 AM   #34
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
1) Dude I don't even count tht one! But why they chose the Rani as the villain god knows. Never seen it though, I don't think they released it in a special features on one of the serials.
2) You do hate the Rani don't you! (Relax, I hate her too!). Not seen it, but all I've heard is bas bad things about it.
3) Meh, I can give or take it. But yeah, shame they didn't introduce Ace better.
4) Never even heard of it. Which Doctor was it?
5) Saw that one, didn't mind it. I remember giving it average reviews.
  1. You're not missing anything. I saw it years ago on a bootleg video and haven't felt the urge to rewatch it since.
  2. Sadly, I actually like the Rani, but I don't think she's had a decent story since her first.
  3. I just have the image of the Doctor randomly hanging by his umbrella off a (short) cliff in my mind.. bleh
  4. Fifth. Its a sequel to Kinda, which is excellent
  5. It may not be as bad as I remember, its just one that sprang to mind. Though I remember hating that they made the Doctor the inspiration for HG Wells' Time Traveller, as I would love for the Time Traveller and the Doctor to meet.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 02:12 AM   #35
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Dimensions in Time can't be released on DVD without getting new clearances from all involved. The actors did it for free since it was a charity production. And it's not just the Doctor Who actors - it's those from EastEnders, too. And there might be copyright issues with the crossover, at least here in the US.
Old April 16 2013, 05:42 PM   #36
Zeppster
Commodore

I can't do an exact order but here goes.

Daleks in Manhattan/Revolution of the Daleks-Just a complete mess all around. The Dalek/Human hybrids, the Pig humans, the horrible 30s dialogue and characters, a complete and total failure on many levels. I do kinda like the end scene when the Doctor faces off with the Daleks but the rest of this one is just a total mess.

Green Death the only strong point is Jo's departure. The rest of the story is weak with it's heavyhanded liberal message that is pretty much anti capitalist, even trying to say meat is bad for you, and that wind and solar energy are easy to convert, but then you have the poor storyand poor effects. Saying "science" was the only way when the solution ended up being Jo knocking something over to figure out the solution. I'm not completely against political messages in episodes but this was so one sided and so poorly done that it's hard to like. Same can be said for a lot of the 7th Doctor also.

Twin Delima. Colin Baker has redeemed himself as a solid Doctor, mostly because the writing for the audio dramas he has done have been a ton better than his short run as the Doctor in the 80s. Much of it isn't his fault. But one of the first things he did when he started his regeneration was assault his companion and then talk about going to some asteroid for hundreds of years to be a hermit then bitch about other things most of the rest of this episode. And Colin Baker hamming up some god awful writing doesn't help it. I was too young to really be a Who fan at that time, being born in 84. But I would imagine a die hard fan at that time thinking WHAT THE FUCK!

The Happiness Patrol
Really there were a lot of 7th doctor episodes that were poorly written but this one just sticks with me the most. They face a world where being sad is a crime.

The Beast Below the 2nd outing of the 11th doctor was to me still his weakest episode. Basically the future humans believe the only way to fix their ship is to torture a space whale. And the doctor's solution was to basically make that whale a vegetable.