Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 10 2013, 07:44 PM   #16
diankra
Commodore

Re: Bottom 5 Episodes/Serials

Sindatur wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
Honorable mention to the Hartnell Historicals (other than The Aztecs [which I thnk is awesome] and The Romans [which is hilarious])
Ah, what else survives? Oh, Gunfighters, of course. Pretty dreadful, but after that they're missing or incomplete...
Reign of Terror is now animated Ep 4 and 5
The Crusade has half it's episodes and the other two have been fan reconstructed
The Masacre and Marco Polo can also be found as Fan Reconstructions

Though I confess, I haven't bothered trying to watch the Marco Polo reconstruction yet because it's so long. I do not to watch the Fan Reconstructions of all of Hartnell at some point, I've tried the Historicals aside from Marco Polo, but, there are still many of the SciFi oriented Hartnell Reconstructions I need to watch, so, I'll probably give Marco Polo a shot when I go through Hartnell again
I know, but I always think that you can't really judge something by reconstructions, even the animations, as you can't see what directorial flourrshes - or slip-ups - there are (Galaxy 4, has been pretty universally thought to be more interesting than it sounded, for instance). Though obviously in the case of Reign and Cruade half the story is there, so that's enough.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Konata Izumi
Commander

I haven't seen anywhere near all of them. The idea of telling which one's the best, knowing it's not even half as good as the story next to it I haven't seen, feels like missing out in an idiotic manner, but a bad story is just something where there's not much to see, unless it causes some larger harm. I doubt there's any one Doctor Who story that hurts people more than the rest, as tastes vary, and if there was some harmful message stronger than what you receive every day in some way, it would have already come up in all this chatter about the show.

Maybe seasons 23 and 24 are the most damaging for driving away viewers that could have prevented the second impact. But that's whole seasons. Cold Blood's shock I got over with, and that's the only one that was in a different league from the others, but not any more. Arc of Infinity while okay on its own, is the worst anniversary season opener ever, as it remakes The Deadly Assassin with some even older villain, so it feels like there are no more ideas left in the show.

Last edited by Konata Izumi; April 10 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

The Twin Dilemma
The Gunfighters
Love and Monsters
Time and the Rani
Horror of Fang Rock

IMO, The Girl Who Waited is fantastic.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 09:20 PM   #19
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

What? The Girl Who Waited is appalling.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 11:22 PM   #20
knine
Commander

5 - Love and Monsters
4 - Love and Monsters
3 - Love and Monsters
2 - Love and Monsters
1 - Love and Monsters

I think The Christmas Carol is the best of all the Christmas Specials. And The Girl Who Waited was a great one too.

There have been a number of episodes where the build up was great and the ending was a major let down. Journey's End is the first one that pops into mind.
knine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 08:27 AM   #21
Starkers
Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
The Twin Dilemma
The Gunfighters
Love and Monsters
Time and the Rani
Horror of Fang Rock

I don't think I've seen anyone hate Fang Rock before, I love it, but that's what's so great about Who, there really is something for everyone.

I haven't seen every Who story ever made (still in existance anyway) and even those I have seen with some it's been a while (so while I have seen The Twin Dilemma it's probably a good 15 years (at least) since I have so I can't in all concience put it in a bottom 5.

Classic Who wise I'd say Claws of Axos, The Leisure Hive, The Two Doctors (such a waste) Dragonfire and Ghostlight.

Nu Who; Fear Her, New Earth (notwithstanding the phenomanal bit where Cassandra dies in her own arms which almost redeems it) 42 (yawn inducing) Curse of the Black Spot and maybe last week.

Trouble is, especially in Nu Who, there's usually something to redeem most episodes, take last weeks, overall a bit meh yet still had a lump in my throat near the end
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 10:47 AM   #22
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Starkers wrote: View Post
Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
The Twin Dilemma
The Gunfighters
Love and Monsters
Time and the Rani
Horror of Fang Rock

I don't think I've seen anyone hate Fang Rock before, I love it, but that's what's so great about Who, there really is something for everyone.

I haven't seen every Who story ever made (still in existance anyway) and even those I have seen with some it's been a while (so while I have seen The Twin Dilemma it's probably a good 15 years (at least) since I have so I can't in all concience put it in a bottom 5.

Classic Who wise I'd say Claws of Axos, The Leisure Hive, The Two Doctors (such a waste) Dragonfire and Ghostlight.

Nu Who; Fear Her, New Earth (notwithstanding the phenomanal bit where Cassandra dies in her own arms which almost redeems it) 42 (yawn inducing) Curse of the Black Spot and maybe last week.

Trouble is, especially in Nu Who, there's usually something to redeem most episodes, take last weeks, overall a bit meh yet still had a lump in my throat near the end
i don't viciously hate Horror of Fang Rock or anything. i think more than anything it was just disappointing. most of the stories from Tom's last year were pretty meh, but its been so long since i've seen them i couldn't justify putting any in my bottom list.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 10:55 AM   #23
Starkers
Admiral

This is my trouble too, there are stories it's just been so long since I've seen, or I haven't seen at all (A lot of Hartnell)
Old April 12 2013, 08:36 AM   #24
Zeppster
Commodore

diankra wrote: View Post
Honorable mention to the Hartnell Historicals (other than The Aztecs [which I thnk is awesome] and The Romans [which is hilarious])
Ah, what else survives? Oh, Gunfighters, of course. Pretty dreadful, but after that they're missing or incomplete...
Reign of Terror is now animated Ep 4 and 5
The Crusade has half it's episodes and the other two have been fan reconstructed
The Masacre and Marco Polo can also be found as Fan Reconstructions

Though I confess, I haven't bothered trying to watch the Marco Polo reconstruction yet because it's so long. I do not to watch the Fan Reconstructions of all of Hartnell at some point, I've tried the Historicals aside from Marco Polo, but, there are still many of the SciFi oriented Hartnell Reconstructions I need to watch, so, I'll probably give Marco Polo a shot when I go through Hartnell again
Marco Polo is actually worth watching. Kinda drags near the end and is anticlimactic but it actually has some good conflict for the first half of that story. But then again the format for the show led a ton of the stories to drag with 10-12 parts sometimes. The modern era sometimes has the opposite problem though.
Old April 12 2013, 09:40 AM   #25
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Purely as an experiment, since I think there was nothing wrong with them in the first place, I think it would be interesting if someone took an old Doctor Who serial and edited it into one 45-minute show, trimming the fat and adding some Murray Gold music or a similarly contemporary soundtrack. I think it would be interesting.
Old April 12 2013, 01:52 PM   #26
Zeppster
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Purely as an experiment, since I think there was nothing wrong with them in the first place, I think it would be interesting if someone took an old Doctor Who serial and edited it into one 45-minute show, trimming the fat and adding some Murray Gold music or a similarly contemporary soundtrack. I think it would be interesting.
Just all comes down to how well written the stories are. There have been a fair share of badly written modern era stories in the 45 minute format.
Old April 12 2013, 02:58 PM   #27
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
That would work for many of the 4 episode stories, but, Pertwee and erlier are mostly stories with more than 4 episodes, so, although I think some of them could be shortened a bit, I think many of them if you crammed them into a single 45 minute episode, you would butcher than

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 04:20 PM   #28
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Zeppster wrote: View Post
Just all comes down to how well written the stories are. There have been a fair share of badly written modern era stories in the 45 minute format.
No doubt about that. And in fact, the reverse experiment would be interesting too, but it's easier to edit an episode than to expand it.

That would work for many of the 4 episode stories, but, Pertwee and erlier are mostly stories with more than 4 episodes, so, although I think some of them could be shortened a bit, I think many of them if you crammed them into a single 45 minute episode, you would butcher than
Of course, you'd have to select the right story for that. For most of them, it wouldn't work. But even a long Pertwee serial like, say, Frontier in Space, is basically made of the Doctor escaping from prison and being captured again (and again and again), so there may be a way to trim the whole thing down to the bare essentials. It wouldn't be the same, of course, but that's the point, isn't it?
Old April 12 2013, 06:37 PM   #29
Marsden
Captain

I don't really have 5 I don't like

My least favorite is "42" It's very contrived and I think it totally wastes a Hitchhiker's refrence.

The Waters of Mars is my very close second. It has some great moments, but it mostly reminded me of the vastly superior Silence in the Library just earlier in the year.
Various impossible things happen in Dr Who, but I just can't believe that woman just went home and nipped right off and shot herself in the lobby.

I'm not sure about 3 more. I really like Doctor Who.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 08:47 PM   #30
Starkers
Admiral

The worst thing about WoM is how much padding there is early on, and then how rushed it is at the end. Seriously if Time Lord Victorious lasts more than 30 seconds I'd be surprised!