Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 10 2013, 09:11 PM   #16
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Admiral Cain in BSG - A Different Tact

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Though you're right about the refusing to except the president's authority.
Not to defend Cain, but I don't recall her usurping the President's authority any more than Adama did, i.e. sticking to the policy that military decisions rest with the military. Cain basically gave no shits about the civilians in the fleet, and wasn't around long enough to stage her own coup against Roslin. I suspect she would have, eventually, but at least what we got of her didn't show her outright refusing to do what the President told her.
Old April 10 2013, 09:24 PM   #17
lurok
Commodore

That's very true (from memory). I vaguely recall though that Forbes/Cain gave a priceless look when introduced to Roslin as president. Like "are you shitting me?".
Old April 11 2013, 03:04 AM   #18
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

To the OP and future duals of the OP. I'm glad Cain was killed. She's a monster and deserved to die like a monster. Torture is never justified, end of story.
Old April 11 2013, 03:08 AM   #19
iheartjpicard
Cadet

BillJ wrote: View Post
starsailorjane wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Cain was a psycho-bitch and pretty much every action she took was morally/ethically wrong.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely...
Been lurking for a bit...weren't you one of the ones all for genocide with Section 31?
Define "all for"?

As a last resort to protect my way of life, I have no problem wiping out those who threaten it. Torturing someone for the hell of it when it provides little to no useful information, not so much.

But I also have no problem taking survivors of a holocaust and going on the run when staying and fighting serves no useful purpose beyond petty revenge.
Lets be real here, it is implied Section 31 has tortured people (and are you honestly going to try to argue that they haven't). Cain killed a few people? Section 31 has shown entire planets of people are astropolitical pawns worthy of sacrifice as long as they see it as benefiting the Federation. To ardently defend section 31 as you have consistently (I've been a lurker for awhile) and then to condemn Cain's actions seems somewhat contradictory.

And lets be fair to the OP he stipulates that for the purposes of a more constructive debate, we put Cain in the situation where she is fighting a guerrilla war she has a chance of winning.