Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 10 2013, 05:05 AM   #16
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: Who was the most hated character among fans while DS9 was airing?

Rom. Definitely Rom. He had his good moments, sure, but more often than not, if he was the focus of a story, few had positive things to say about it afterwards.
Old April 10 2013, 05:09 AM   #17
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

I agree with the general sentiment that there weren't any Wesley like characters on DS9, though to be honest I never hated Wesley either. I can understand it, but I just don't agree with the general dislike of his character, though that's a topic for another time.
I think on DS9, most of the characters, even the ones that were disliked or at least were not the stand out favorites, grew so much over time, that even if you started out not liking them, they at least developed some qualities that redeemed them.

It is interesting to note, that I've seen some ill words thrown toward lwaxana Troi and her appearances on DS9 over the years. Even though she only showed up two or three times, more than a few people never seemed to take to the idea of her interest in Odo.
Personally, while not my favorite guest star, I by no means hated her or her ongoing story line with Odo.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 05:29 AM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'd say early Bashir annoyed me a lot. But by season 3 or 4, they'd made an active effort to make him less insufferable and though that major plot twist concerning him is really out there, it suited him in the end. Though Ezri did annoy me too... but for spoilers I won't get into that. Let's just say she distracted from the main plot more often than contributing to it.

As for Nog, Captain Kathryn. I'd actually say he probably had the best character arc out of -everyone- on DS9. He's a petty Ferengi brat at first but he changes... a lot. If you watched the season 7 finale of DS9 you seriously wouldn't recognize him, but the slow changes over the years really do become him.
Old April 10 2013, 05:36 AM   #19
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Bashir annoyed me to no end, even after he and O'Brien became friends! (Although their friendship was one of my favourite relationships on the series).

This will be unpopular, but the character I resented the most was Ezri Dax. I felt they wasted too much time on a new character when they had really important plots to tie up by the end of the series. I won't say any more so as not to spoil Captain Kathryn!
Eh...I don't think Bashir is that bad. He has a cute affection for Jadzia and I like his love/hate relationship with O'Brien and Garak. It's not as funny or interesting as the Odo/Quark relationship, but is still funny to watch. Either way, I don't have any dislike for Bashir. He isn't my favorite character, but he's not too bad in my opinion.

I love Garak. He needed more episodes. Well since I am only approaching Season 3, maybe more will come. I think he is an awesome character.
Old April 10 2013, 05:39 AM   #20
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
I'd say early Bashir annoyed me a lot. But by season 3 or 4, they'd made an active effort to make him less insufferable and though that major plot twist concerning him is really out there, it suited him in the end. Though Ezri did annoy me too... but for spoilers I won't get into that. Let's just say she distracted from the main plot more often than contributing to it.

As for Nog, Captain Kathryn. I'd actually say he probably had the best character arc out of -everyone- on DS9. He's a petty Ferengi brat at first but he changes... a lot. If you watched the season 7 finale of DS9 you seriously wouldn't recognize him, but the slow changes over the years really do become him.
Dang...all these premonitions about Nog coming in. I might have to look up spoilers to satisfy my curiousity now... Or should I just wait and be surprised?
Old April 10 2013, 05:46 AM   #21
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Or should I just wait and be surprised?
I think you should wait.
Old April 10 2013, 05:46 AM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Dang...all these premonitions about Nog coming in. I might have to look up spoilers to satisfy my curiousity now... Or should I just wait and be surprised?
Up to you of course! You'd probably appreciate it more if you watched it develop over time.
Old April 10 2013, 05:49 AM   #23
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

Up to you of course! You'd probably appreciate it more if you watched it develop over time.
Yeah... I won't peek.

I was sad to read that Jadzia is replaced in Season 4. Did the actor quit or did the producers want a character swap?
Old April 10 2013, 06:27 AM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I was sad to read that Jadzia is replaced in Season 4. Did the actor quit or did the producers want a character swap?
Well since that one's spoiled for you already... It was at the end of season 6 actually. Terry Farrell had a six year contract and didn't renew.
Old April 10 2013, 12:49 PM   #25
BruntFCA
Commander

Bashir annoyed me to no end, even after he and O'Brien became friends! (Although their friendship was one of my favourite relationships on the series).

This will be unpopular, but the character I resented the most was Ezri Dax. I felt they wasted too much time on a new character when they had really important plots to tie up by the end of the series. I won't say any more so as not to spoil Captain Kathryn!
Eh...I don't think Bashir is that bad. He has a cute affection for Jadzia and I like his love/hate relationship with O'Brien and Garak. It's not as funny or interesting as the Odo/Quark relationship, but is still funny to watch. Either way, I don't have any dislike for Bashir. He isn't my favorite character, but he's not too bad in my opinion.

I love Garak. He needed more episodes. Well since I am only approaching Season 3, maybe more will come. I think he is an awesome character.
Bashir was annoying early on but that was kind of the point. Even the "everyman" O'Brian thought he was annoying at first.

Garak is my favorite character in all of Star Trek and don't worry he appears in over 30 episodes so you will be getting plenty more Garak. And when you are done with the show you could always checkout "A Stich in Time" it's a book all about Garaks life written by the actor himself and is considered one of the best Trek books ever written.
Old April 10 2013, 01:11 PM   #26
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

Well since that one's spoiled for you already... It was at the end of season 6 actually. Terry Farrell had a six year contract and didn't renew.
Ah...I had the seasons mixed up.

That's kind of sad...she only had one more season to go.
Old April 10 2013, 01:12 PM   #27
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

BruntFCA wrote: View Post

Bashir was annoying early on but that was kind of the point. Even the "everyman" O'Brian thought he was annoying at first.

Garak is my favorite character in all of Star Trek and don't worry he appears in over 30 episodes so you will be getting plenty more Garak. And when you are done with the show you could always checkout "A Stich in Time" it's a book all about Garaks life written by the actor himself and is considered one of the best Trek books ever written.
Yeah Garak is awesome. I get so happy whenever he shows up in an episode haha.
Old April 10 2013, 01:18 PM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

My least favorite was Kira. Whiniest terrorist around.
Old April 10 2013, 01:35 PM   #29
marksound
Fleet Captain

I'm not crazy about the Ferengi, except Quark. He's the only one that doesn't look like he's wearing a big rubber head.

Now that I think about it, they could have made Zek a lot funnier by casting Billy Crystal.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:54 PM   #30
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I wasn't a fan of Bashir to start with, but as previously stated, that was the point. It took time to warm up to him and find him a delight to watch, especially his friendships with O'Brien, Dax and Garak.