Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 20 2013, 06:33 PM   #16
JessDD
Lieutenant

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x11 "Contagion"

I really just noticed this was quite a dramatic episode, from the music to the dialogue.

It's almost corny looking back at it now.
Old April 21 2013, 02:15 AM   #17
t_smitts
Commander

Marsden wrote: View Post
The USS Yamato, the ultimate red shirt ship.

I really hated how what was left of the saucer seemed to head right for Enterprise and basically smushed against their shields. eww.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Yamato's saucer did NOT impact the Enterprise's shields. We saw how the bridge shook when a piece of debris hit them. I think it's safe to say that if the MUCH LARGER saucer had hit them, we would've noticed.

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
This episode also introduced us to the barely touched upon Iconian civilization. The idea of a very advanced race who could travel anywhere in the galaxy by merely stepping through a portal was quite interesting. Why did this advance civilization just die out when they had so much at their disposal to survive? Could an alien race we've seen in other series like DS9 and Voyager be descendants of the Iconians? I'll always miss that story potential.
The Iconians did pop up again (sort of) in the DS9 episode To The Death.

Well, at least their gateways did.

I agree, I'm suprised they never revisited them properly to find out who they were though.
IIRC, the episode states that the Iconian homeworld have been devastated millennia ago by orbit bombardment. (Wonder who did that, BTW? The Promelians? The Menthar? The Tkon?) However it's implied that at least some of them used their gateway to escape to other worlds where they integrated themselves into society.

We never got a clear indication of what that gateway can really do. If an enemy fleet attacked them, could they teleport a couple of grenades into the hostile ships' engine rooms?

Ultimately, though, it would open up too big a can of words for future episodes to give anyone that kind of power, so, as with "To the Death", the only way for it to end is with the gateway being destroyed.

As for why it was never followed up, well not to long after "To the Death", we had the premiere of another popular sci-fi series with a similar premise.

One last observation, I wonder if the destruction of the Yamato, plus the numerous civilians who surely died at Wolf 359, caused Starfleet to get it in its head that having a bunch of families and kids on starships is generally a bad idea.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 03:18 PM   #18
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

t_smitts wrote: View Post
One last observation, I wonder if the destruction of the Yamato, plus the numerous civilians who surely died at Wolf 359, caused Starfleet to get it in its head that having a bunch of families and kids on starships is generally a bad idea.
Given the events in some of the episode, perhaps Starfleet thought that having a bunch of families and kids on planets was generally a bad idea.

Spouses and children are likely safer on a ship, than in a city if there is shooting going on.

And there was no good reason for the families to be taken into combat at wolf359, they should have been loaded into lifeboats and ejected into space light years short of the combat area. The ships had to travel to the combat area, it wasn't some kind of surprise.

But for all we know, only the Saratoga's Captain was so stupid as to have not done this.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:44 AM   #19
MikeS
Fleet Captain

A couple of classic lines in this one;

Pulaski; "It's a time honored way of practicing medicine with your heart, and your head, and your hands."

Riker; "If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me some rocks to throw at them?"
"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise."

A couple of posts have made mention of the fact that the "reboot to factory settings" wasn't very accurate. This episode was made in 1989. As far as I can recall I was still using DOS in school at the time and there was no such thing as a "factory reset". I'm no technology expert, but shouldn't we be giving this episode credit for inventing, or at least inspiring, the factory reset?

Also, for people saying that they would like to explore more of the Iconion gateways, there was a seven book series about them; http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Gateways
Old April 22 2013, 12:44 PM   #20
Captrek
Rear Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
Also, for people saying that they would like to explore more of the Iconion gateways, there was a seven book series about them; http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Gateways
The Iconians and the Gateways, from what little we know of them, are basically the same as the Ancients and the Stargates. (TNG was first.) Now you have 350+ episodes to explore the gateways.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Forbin
Admiral

Riker; "If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me some rocks to throw at them?"
That reminds me - hottest tactical officer EVER.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 12:11 AM   #22
t_smitts
Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Given the events in some of the episode, perhaps Starfleet thought that having a bunch of families and kids on planets was generally a bad idea.

Spouses and children are likely safer on a ship, than in a city if there is shooting going on.

And there was no good reason for the families to be taken into combat at wolf359, they should have been loaded into lifeboats and ejected into space light years short of the combat area. The ships had to travel to the combat area, it wasn't some kind of surprise.

But for all we know, only the Saratoga's Captain was so stupid as to have not done this.

A planet isn't likely to be sent to the Neutral Zone or to fight the Borg.

It seems rather unlikely the Saratoga was the only ship with civilians on board (though perhpas a few docked at a starbase may have had time to offload some non-essential personnel). Why they didn't stick them on shuttlecraft and tell them to clear the battle zone before the shooting started (this would keep the escape pods free if they needed to abandon ship) is beyond me
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 04:22 AM   #23
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Why they didn't stick them on shuttlecraft and tell them to clear the battle zone before the shooting started (this would keep the escape pods free if they needed to abandon ship) is beyond me
Do they even have enough shuttlecraft to evacuate all the civs?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 12:58 PM   #24
Timo
Admiral

A planet isn't likely to be sent to the Neutral Zone or to fight the Borg.
Conversely, a planet near the Neutral Zone or under attack by the Borg can't easily be sent elsewhere...

Why they didn't stick them on shuttlecraft
While Admiral Hanson maintained a brave face, most of the crews and families probably understood that there was no point in surviving the battle of Wolf 359. That is, unless the battle went for the Federation, which didn't really look all that plausible at the time.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 02:10 AM   #25
horatio83
Commodore

It was one of those episodes that made space (and time) seem mysterious, unexplored and large. The kind of atmosphere which only existed in TOS and the first two seasons of TNG.
I like it when Geordi arrives in disarray on the bridge, tells Picard to destroy the probe and Picard doesn't hesitate to act. With Jellico in command the Enterprise wouldn't have survived.
Old May 2 2013, 05:55 AM   #26
Mr_Homn
Captain

horatio83 wrote: View Post
It was one of those episodes that made space (and time) seem mysterious, unexplored and large. The kind of atmosphere which only existed in TOS and the first two seasons of TNG.
I like it when Geordi arrives in disarray on the bridge, tells Picard to destroy the probe and Picard doesn't hesitate to act. With Jellico in command the Enterprise wouldn't have survived.

I agree that overall season 1 and 2 maintained that atmosphere and feeling on a more consistent basis, but I think some of the middle to late TNG episodes (the price, clues, cause and effect, the nth degree, night terrors, timescape, all good things, and a few others) still recreated that feeling from time to time, albeit sporadically..
Old May 3 2013, 01:10 AM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

With Jellico in command the Enterprise wouldn't have survived.
What in the world does Jellico have to do with this episode? Or did you figure it was a chance to get a random slam in on a character you dislike?
Old May 3 2013, 01:26 AM   #28
horatio83
Commodore

The episode showed that Picard totally trusts Geordi and thus provided a leadership lesson.
Old May 3 2013, 01:42 AM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The episode showed that Picard totally trusts Geordi and thus provided a leadership lesson.
He had also been serving with Geordi for anywhere from thirteen to fifteen months at that point and had appointed him Chief Engineer. A totally different situation than the one Jellico was in.

I'm sure Picard was a terrible commanding officer for all time because of this exchange with his new first officer...

Encounter at Farpoint wrote:
PICARD: Come.
RIKER: Not exactly a run of the mill happening, Captain.
PICARD: It seems we're alive only because we have been placed on probation. A very serious kind of probation. (answers comm.) Go.
DATA [OC]: The saucer module is now entering orbit with us, sir.
PICARD: Acknowledged. Commander Riker will conduct a manual docking. Picard out.
RIKER: Sir?
PICARD: You've reported in, haven't you? You are qualified?
RIKER: Yes, sir.
PICARD: Then I mean now, Commander.
Old May 3 2013, 02:23 PM   #30
Trek Survivor
Captain

Another fantastic season 2 entry. I was always get annoyed when people say TNG "wasn't good" (or variations thereof) until season 3. Season 2 is completely where it's at, before people in front of and behind the camera got too complacent.