Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 15 2013, 02:23 PM   #136
Christopher
Writer

Re: Blake's 7 given the go ahead by Syfy

Starkers wrote: View Post
I think what Gan proves is that having an actual Seven might be a step too far, and I hope we don't end up with a situation where Gan/Villa/Cally end up with Reed/Mayweather/Hoshi levels of nothing to do!
There are plenty of TV series that have casts larger than seven members and manage to develop them all well -- DS9, The West Wing, Firefly, the first season of Heroes, etc. It's certainly possible to do it. It's just that some shows choose to be more ensemble-oriented while others choose to keep a tighter focus on just a few characters.

And I feel ENT did balance its whole cast pretty well in the first season, but over time they tightened the focus to the core cast for some reason, perhaps at the network's insistence (since the network seems to have been responsible for most of the poor decisions behind VGR and ENT).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 02:28 PM   #137
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Off topic, but I always assumed that with ENT the network wanted to have more of a TOS feel and concentrate on a 'big three' of captain, Vulcan first officer and crusty Southern officer, here a chief engineer, rather than country doctor. Phlox was arguably the Scotty role, the just-outside-big-three character.
Old April 15 2013, 02:54 PM   #138
Christopher
Writer

^That might've been it. In the first season, the producers were going for more of an intimate, character-driven, ensemble feel -- somewhat inspired by M*A*S*H, I think, given the use of tropes like Movie Night and the letter-to-a-friend episode. But from season 2 onward, they were pushed more and more into doing high-concept sci-fi gimmickry and big action, so there was less space for character development. (And not just of the supporting characters. Archer, for instance, had several romantic subplots in season 1, but then virtually nothing until season 4.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:00 PM   #139
Blamo
Fleet Captain

I really hope this is done well.

Blake's 7's original failings was it could be a very campy at times, with consistently bad special effects that made contemporary Doctor Who look good. Fix those and improve on the characters and it'll be a sure winner.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 02:46 AM   #140
diankra
Commodore

I wish I could work out why I can't get multi-quote to work, but as I can't... I just hope you'll all work out which comments I'm following up!

Dayna's tutor/boyfriend in Animals: in the original script, he was Cally's crush, and she was going to stay with him to write Jan Chappell out after the half season she'd agreed to do for season four. When she changed her mind and didn't come back at all, the script got rewritten to give her role to Dayna.

Gan's Limiter: That's an interesting one... the only first season episodes where it really gets a role are eps 4: Time Squad, and 10: Breakdown (there's a small mention in Duel as well, but it's passing). And guess what? Time Squad was a replacement for the original episode four, written alongside episode 10. As can be spotted from the way Gan doesn't have limiter problems when he should do in some of the earlier episodes (most notably, eps 2&3).

And Blake's background: he was an engineer. But I think that's only mentioned in Cygnus Alpha, when he and Avon both spot that what Liberator's teleport system is, because they both worked on Project Aquator, the Federation's failed (but obviously not entirely wrong-headed) attempt to build a teleport ("Small world..." "No, big project").
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 05:42 AM   #141
Candlelight
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
Dayna's tutor/boyfriend in Animals: in the original script, he was Cally's crush, and she was going to stay with him to write Jan Chappell out after the half season she'd agreed to do for season four. When she changed her mind and didn't come back at all, the script got rewritten to give her role to Dayna.
From memory Jan was first offered five episodes (leaves with Justin in Animals), then three (killed by Servalan in Traitor) then one (killed by Dorian in Rescue). In the end we got a couple of words.

diankra wrote: View Post
Gan's Limiter: That's an interesting one... the only first season episodes where it really gets a role are eps 4: Time Squad, and 10: Breakdown (there's a small mention in Duel as well, but it's passing). And guess what? Time Squad was a replacement for the original episode four, written alongside episode 10. As can be spotted from the way Gan doesn't have limiter problems when he should do in some of the earlier episodes (most notably, eps 2&3).
Providing Gan 'told himself' he wouldn't kill them he was ok. He was able to strong arm the monks in Cygnus Alpha but when it came to the cryo psychos he knew he had to kill them to protect Jenna, hence the pain.
Old April 20 2013, 08:26 AM   #142
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Yes, yes and yes!
Its about time!

The second best scifi series of all time after Star Trek of course

I hope they get the casting right. It was all about the interaction between the characters. Don't cast any young hunks as the leads. If its being done by the nuBSG guys then I have some hope.

And as for the retro-clothing. For the most part it was one of the best things about the show.

Zen, zen, zen - they've got to keep zen.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote