Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 9 2013, 10:39 PM   #31
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Voyager and MBTI

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
You know I read all sorts of hate crap on this BBS about characters I adore and I just sit there like I'm zombied in front of trash television but when people dismiss 7 as nothing but a way of sexing up the show for ratings I am ENRAGED and I have to defend her. I feel very protective of the character.
SAME HERE. Even though Jeri Ryan admits that the purpose of her infamous silver catsuit was to gain more viewers, there was more to Seven than that. She was a genuinely complex, interesting character. That much SHOULD be obvious to anyone who watched the show.
And some of my protectiveness is because of what she's been through. I don't feel I have to protect Janeway. But 7 is vulnerable.
I get annoyed at character bashing in general. It's one thing to dislike a character, but to rant about them and use vulgar, hateful speech is just childish. Besides, I think every Trek character has at least some qualities to like, even if I'm not overly fond of them.
I've got my single pet hate, but I keep out of pet hates forum or even thread when I saw people in the past with the pet hate in their avatar. But yeah, I'm pretty hateful, petty and vulgar

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 11:54 PM   #32
Ryva Brall
Commander

"Pet hate". Are you referring to Data's cat, Spot?
Old April 10 2013, 12:13 AM   #33
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Data's transgendered cat? No I love him/her

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 10 2013, 02:01 AM   #34
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

I don't like character-bashing either, but sometimes it's fun to poke fun once in a while, but hateful speech against a fictional character is just ridiculous. I think all Trek characters, so far as from what I've watched, all have qualities that make them unique and important in some way.

And yes...the fact that Seven is a complex, strong, and genuine character SHOULD be obvious to anyone who watched the show. It's not her fault or anyone else's fault if someone can't bother to take their eyes off of her catsuit long enough to notice she is awesome...for reasons OTHER than her body. O_O

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:10 AM   #35
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Brit wrote: View Post
You know I read all sorts of hate crap on this BBS about characters I adore and I just sit there like I'm zombied in front of trash television but when people dismiss 7 as nothing but a way of sexing up the show for ratings I am ENRAGED and I have to defend her. I feel very protective of the character.
I agree with this too, IMHO Seven's character development, her personal journey to humanness, could have been one of the wonders of the series. We got to see tiny glimpses of it, but I for one feel shortchanged because there wasn't more.
Sexing up the show may have been the original motive for adding her to the show, but the writers did a better job with her than pretty much every other character in the show besides the Doctor.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:20 AM   #36
Ryva Brall
Commander

Agreed. Poor Harry. The writers just didn't know what to do with him, did they? There should be a thread called "Harry Kim - What Might Have Been", if there isn't one already.
Old April 10 2013, 07:28 AM   #37
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Agreed. Poor Harry. The writers just didn't know what to do with him, did they? There should be a thread called "Harry Kim - What Might Have Been", if there isn't one already.
People's plans for Harry frequently come up but I don't think he'd like any of them.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 10 2013, 08:36 AM   #38
Ryva Brall
Commander

You mean, like getting left behind on Deep Space 9 and being forced to work as a busboy at Quark's? He would have met more girls that way.
Old April 10 2013, 09:18 AM   #39
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I think he would make a lovey Dabo boy. I'd tip him to spin my wheel.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 10 2013, 01:32 PM   #40
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

If Harry was assigned to DS9 instead and didn't have that girlfriend Libby, he would have had a good time with those Dabo girls. Instead he was in the Delta Quadrant...and his sad love life consisted of dating an ex-dead girl who became an alien, getting attacked and almost killed by a group of alien women trying to mate with him who really just wanted him dead anyway, and lusting after a hologram who turned out to be an alien anyway who just wanted to jump Tuvok's bones. And then his crush on Seven...

Poor Harry...if only he had been assigned to DS9. D:
I would have liked to see Tom trying to persuade Harry into bringing Dabo girls up to their holosuite.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:51 PM   #41
teya
Vice Admiral

^ Plus, not one but two xenophobic terrorists!

OK, one was a terrorist against her xenophobic society, who made him glow in the dark.

The other was a real xenophobic terrorist who tried to kill him with an exploding console.

I gotta say, I enjoyed watching Harry with the ladies. His choices of women made my choices of men look absolutely inspired!
Old April 10 2013, 07:06 PM   #42
Ryva Brall
Commander

I don't care if he was boring, I always liked Harry. But then, I like my guys extra-nerdy.
I think he would make a lovey Dabo boy. I'd tip him to spin my wheel.
Dabo boys. Now THERE'S an idea with some merit. Quark would have drawn in a lot more female customers. Especially if he'd had a ladies' night. He would have made a fortune off of Jadzia alone.

And this has officially gone way off-topic. Quick, what type do you think Seska was?
Old April 10 2013, 10:23 PM   #43
teacake
Fleet Admiral

In the books Ro convinces Quark to have Dabo boys and it is a success.

Seska is an ESTP but hard to type as she seems to have some personality disorder going on above cultural differences.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 10 2013, 10:43 PM   #44
Ryva Brall
Commander

Yeah, being bat-crap crazy makes it hard to determine a person's type.

I am a spectacular failure when it comes to the Star Trek novels. I've only read one, and I don't remember which one it was, or even what it was about. I'd love to remedy that, though; I just don't want this to become a "Tell me your favorite Trek novels" thread.
Old April 10 2013, 11:06 PM   #45
teacake
Fleet Admiral

All the threads on this forum morph into one very loud conversation so I wouldn't worry too much. Or you can start talking about the novels in some other thread like the fanfic one or start VOY specific thread so it doesn't get moved to Treklit or..

KingDaniel has read everything except apparently Mosaic which is Janeway's life story and one of my top 10 Treklit books. A lot of Treklit is awful IMO but there are some real gems. I have far more than I've gotten around to reading, I'm currently reading Stargate Atlantis books.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne