Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 4 14.81%
Above average 16 59.26%
Average 7 25.93%
Below average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 9 2013, 04:02 AM   #16
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Game of Thrones 3.2 - "Dark Wings, Dark Words" - Rate and discuss

I liked it a lot, nice to see the Reeds and Thoros... hopefully we'll get the flaming sword yet.

Dame Diana was awesome, of course.
Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:40 PM   #17
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Poor Bran will be about six foot tall next year. Might be time to recast.
We won't be seeing him standing very often, so I don't imagine that this is going to be a big problem. Anyway, as he was standing in a dream to begin with, perhaps this is simply how he sees himself.

I voted Above Average but all in all, I enjoyed this more than last week. The Cat scene was certainly...well, not in keeping with how I've always viewed her thinking and actions. It was hard to reconcile with the 'it should have been you' comment to Jon when she last saw him at Bran's bedside - though one could perhaps rationalise it as her wishing that her prayers for baby Jon were instead proving effective for Bran.

What made the ep for me was seeing that little shit Theon getting tortured, even if he wasn't being flayed. Was that a sort of bamboo-under-the-fingernails torture at first ('I want to do this')? His fingers looked in good enough shape when we next saw him. And presumably they were squeezing/crushing his feet in that box?

Those who have read the fifth book will have an idea how his escape is going to go and who his rescuer is.

Loved also the Jamie/Brienne scenes and those with Arya and the Brotherhood, not to mention the Hound. Paul Kaye is a lot of fun, even if he's radically different from how I imagined the character on the page. I'm sure those who know where those storylines are going are looking forward to the next few episodes.
Old April 9 2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Kelthaz
Commodore

^ Dude, spoilers! Don't mention anything about Theon in the future.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 05:23 PM   #19
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^That wasn't really a spoiler, was it? The character with him promised to help him escape. All I said is we know how it will go. I didn't say if it would go well, badly or indifferent!
Old April 9 2013, 06:32 PM   #20
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I think it's best to err on the side of caution and not mention any future events, even obliquely. That's especially true this season. There's always the spoiler thread for further discussion.

This episode was just average by Game of Thrones standards in my opinion. I enjoyed the introduction of the new characters, but this was another table-setting episode and one that moved a bit slower than the season premiere and didn't have the wow factor of some of the premiere's scenes. It was still an enjoyable episode, though.
Old April 9 2013, 08:11 PM   #21
Kelthaz
Commodore

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^That wasn't really a spoiler, was it? The character with him promised to help him escape. All I said is we know how it will go. I didn't say if it would go well, badly or indifferent!

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 11:00 PM   #22
Lonemagpie
Writer

Klaus wrote: View Post
I liked it a lot, nice to see the Reeds and Thoros... hopefully we'll get the flaming sword yet.

Well, it was in the trailer, so...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 12:26 AM   #23
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

One of the problems with not establishing Thoros early on is we don't get to see how he has changed from being a drunken charlatan of a red priest (supposedly a missionary of same god as Melisandre) into who he became during his year or so 'off screen' with the brotherhood. This version seems to be neither, which makes me wonder about how they're going to handle that whole story thread.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 12:37 AM   #24
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Show-Thoros seems to be a combination of Thoros and Tom O'Sevens, who after all was the minstrel of the group.
Old April 10 2013, 03:27 PM   #25
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Venardhi wrote: View Post
One of the problems with not establishing Thoros early on is we don't get to see how he has changed from being a drunken charlatan of a red priest (supposedly a missionary of same god as Melisandre) into who he became during his year or so 'off screen' with the brotherhood. This version seems to be neither, which makes me wonder about how they're going to handle that whole story thread.
He's still a red priest. So far, the only indication is his slightly reddish chainmail, but some of the season three trailers showed him sharing a scene with Mellisandre.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 03:52 PM   #26
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

He also seems to have reddish hair, although not the deep, dark red of Mellisandre. Definitely not what I would have expected for a Red Priest of Myr.
Old April 10 2013, 03:57 PM   #27
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Another solid-to-strong episode. The Catelyn scene was terrible and embarrassing (though well-performed by Fairley given what it was), but I was prepared for it from the early reviews, and I've pretty much given up on the King in the North storyline ever being appropriate to the setting, free of cliches, or remotely interesting. Otherwise, I thought everything worked. I'd been concerned about the Queen of Thorns from early reviews-- it sounded like they might have watered her down-- but even though Rigg's version is more cynical and less exuberant in her sharpness than the book character, I think it works. And the Margaery/Joffrey scene made me think for the first time that the increased emphasis on her character might actually work.
Old April 10 2013, 05:09 PM   #28
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
No I didn't. I merely stated that what happens next to is alluded to in the 5th book. Could be from any number of people's perspectives, hindsight or flashback. But with hindsight, I agree it was a bit too much info so I'll be more careful from now on. Sorry if anyone was spoiled for later reading.
Old April 11 2013, 03:53 AM   #29
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I somehow envisioned Jojan Reed to have been a lot younger and his sister to be a lot older and more in charge.
Old April 11 2013, 04:39 AM   #30
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I'm probably a little off in my remembering, but I think Jojen was 12 and Meera 16.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote