RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,579
Posts: 5,403,240
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 467
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 20 2013, 11:57 PM   #61
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Picard didn't know where the weak section was until after the Enterprise arrived, and only then through his tenuous connection to the Borg.
How does that even work, anyway ? They removed all the borg implants... and if they didn't, well that's very worrying.

Lance wrote: View Post
The fleet had probably been fighting the Borg for days before the Enterprise arrives.
Considering the way the movie tells it, and Wolf 359, I find that very unlikely. But then Trek always plays with the passage of time a bit.

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Why did the borg send 1 cube when it has millions? Because assimilating the distant federation is very low on its list of priorities - as is obvious despite the federation's and some fans' preconceptions. 1 cube every few years is the limit of the resources it's willing to commit to federation assimilation.
That's speculation. They were pretty quick to send one once they became aware that the Federation existed. And there's an entire quadrant full of species that are technologically incapable of resisting a full invasion. Why give them more time to develop defenses ?

And I'm watching that movie in 2 minutes !
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:33 AM   #62
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Belz... wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Picard didn't know where the weak section was until after the Enterprise arrived, and only then through his tenuous connection to the Borg.
How does that even work, anyway ? They removed all the borg implants... and if they didn't, well that's very worrying.
I think it's implied that it's through a telepathic link (forged during his time with the Collective) that becomes active whenever the Borg are in the neighborhood.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:45 AM   #63
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Gaith wrote: View Post
Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
In any case, he had to get close enough to go from spooky flashback dreams to actual contact. This continued through the rest of the movie as he was able to hear snippets of what the queen was up to in the basement.
Which was an ass pull ability for the movie, wasn't it? I don't recall him being able to "hear" Borg in "Descent" or "I, Borg", but I could be wrong.
You mean the two episodes where he was mostly dealing with Borg that were disconnected from the collective?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 02:05 AM   #64
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I think it's implied that it's through a telepathic link (forged during his time with the Collective) that becomes active whenever the Borg are in the neighborhood.
Right, it doesn't make sense. Picard isn't a Betazoid. It works, plot-wise, but they should have established it in "I, Borg".

Anyway, it's a minor point. There are far worse things in this movie, plot-wise, and we tend to give those a pass anyway.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:44 PM   #65
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Belz... wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Why did the borg send 1 cube when it has millions? Because assimilating the distant federation is very low on its list of priorities - as is obvious despite the federation's and some fans' preconceptions. 1 cube every few years is the limit of the resources it's willing to commit to federation assimilation.
That's speculation. They were pretty quick to send one once they became aware that the Federation existed. And there's an entire quadrant full of species that are technologically incapable of resisting a full invasion. Why give them more time to develop defenses ?

And I'm watching that movie in 2 minutes !

Quick?
Not even close.
It took the borg a year to send a single cube, when it could send thousands in days.

"Why give them more time to develop defenses ?"
Because the borg does not care about all these species enough to actually make a serious attempt at assimilating them.

1 cube out of millions - every few years? That is a joke - not even on the level of a skirmish for the borg.
As said, despite the delusions of grandeur of the federation starfleet - and some trek fans - have, the borg could care less about it.

And, seeing that the borg has MILLIONS of cubes, tech FAR more advanced that the federation and is assimilating new species, technology and territory/resources at an impressive rate, the borg can not only crush the federation at any time it feels like it, it can do the same thing in the future (even if, by some miracle, the federation manages to close the technology gap, the numerical gap remains overwhelming).


Your turn, Belz - let us see your arguments for your position. Unless, of course, you can only write unsupported dictums.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:09 PM   #66
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Quick?
Not even close.
It took the borg a year to send a single cube, when it could send thousands in days.
Correction: it took it a year to get there. The transwarp hub thing was invented at the end of Voyager. And if they could do that, why not send a thousand, destroy the federation, and get back in time for dinner ? That way they _also_ get to keep their cubes back home.

"Why give them more time to develop defenses ?"
Because the borg does not care about all these species enough to actually make a serious attempt at assimilating them.
Again, speculation.

And, seeing that the borg has MILLIONS of cubes, tech FAR more advanced that the federation and is assimilating new species, technology and territory/resources at an impressive rate, the borg can not only crush the federation at any time it feels like it, it can do the same thing in the future (even if, by some miracle, the federation manages to close the technology gap, the numerical gap remains overwhelming).
That's not helping your argument. If they can do so at any time, and have demonstrated the intention of doing so, why don't they ?

Your turn, Belz - let us see your arguments for your position. Unless, of course, you can only write unsupported dictums.
Ironic, since you now several times have stated your opinion about what the Borg think.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:27 PM   #67
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Belz... wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Quick?
Not even close.
It took the borg a year to send a single cube, when it could send thousands in days.
Correction: it took it a year to get there. The transwarp hub thing was invented at the end of Voyager.
"Descent" (before Voyager) is when we knew the borg have transwarp. But the borg had it the whole time.
And transwarp can get cubes to the federation in hours.

And if they could do that, why not send a thousand, destroy the federation, and get back in time for dinner ? That way they _also_ get to keep their cubes back home.
Back home doing nothing as opposed to assimilating a target. Unconvincing:
Why would the borg do this - if it actually cares about assimilating said target, that is?

And, seeing that the borg has MILLIONS of cubes, tech FAR more advanced that the federation and is assimilating new species, technology and territory/resources at an impressive rate, the borg can not only crush the federation at any time it feels like it, it can do the same thing in the future (even if, by some miracle, the federation manages to close the technology gap, the numerical gap remains overwhelming).
That's not helping your argument. If they can do so at any time, and have demonstrated the intention of doing so, why don't they ?
Actually, it is helping my argument by making obvious that the "the borg do not care enough" is the justification that makes the most sense.

"Why give them more time to develop defenses ?"
Because the borg does not care about all these species enough to actually make a serious attempt at assimilating them.
Again, speculation.
Highly probable AKA supported by arguments speculation.
"If they can do so at any time, and have demonstrated the intention of doing so, why don't they ?"
Because they just do not care enough (AKA that intention is not all you think it is).


My "speculation" is based on arguments and highly probable.
You do not even have an argument beyond repeating speculation here, speculation there.
Well, Belz, I will repeat something myself: can you actually come up with arguments to build an even marginally probable speculation yourself? Until now, you have not proven this.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; May 21 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:35 PM   #68
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
That is when we knew the borg have transwarp. But the borg had it the whole time.
So what they had in Endgame they had all along ? Boy, the Borg are really stupid.

Back home doing nothing. Unconvincing.
I don't understand what you're saying, here.

Highly probable AKA supported by arguments speculation.
How do you determine what's probable without references to the show ? You say they don't care, but that's not what we see on the show.

Actually, it is helping my argument by making obvious that the "the borg do not care enough" is the justification that makes the most sense.
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense. I'm saying it's contradicted by the show. As for making sense, it does, but then we have seen zero space-faring states in Star Trek, in any region of the galaxy, that can be a threat to the Borg, so if the Federation is not a priority, what is (prior to species 8472, that is) ?

As such, my "speculation" is based on arguments and highly probable.
I'm not sure you're entirely clear on what's "probable" or what evidence is. But I'll agree that it's probable if only because it makes sense.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 01:51 PM   #69
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

So what they had in Endgame they had all along
That would be TNG "Descent".

You say they don't care, but that's not what we see on the show.
The borg actions - presented on screen (and easily pointed to), that is - speak louder than words. Not that the shows give even much lip service to the notion that the borg have as a priority the assimilation of the federation.

Of course, as always, feel free to point out the relevant on-screen evidence that the borg care so much about the federation.

we have seen zero space-faring states in Star Trek, in any region of the galaxy, that can be a threat to the Borg, so if the Federation is not a priority, what is (prior to species 8472, that is) ?
Not quite.
Voy "Hope and fear" - we saw a species that survived the borg for centuries before being defeated. And not the borg as in a cube every now and then, but as in thousands of cubes exerting constant pressure.
Such resistance is FAR beyond anything the federation can achieve - as proven by its pathetic performances against single borg cubes.

And as for what are priorities to the borg - as Voy showed, species in the delta quadrant, near borg territory.
The federation is, most likely, simply too distant for the borg to concern itself with. And it has no unusual technology that the borg particularly wants.

I'm not sure you're entirely clear on what's "probable" or what evidence is.
You will have the right to say this when you will actually present evidence of your own; and when you will define the meaning you just used for the words "probable" and "evidence" in such a way so as not to embarass yourself.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; May 21 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 02:18 PM   #70
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
That would be TNG "Descent".
I stand corrected. However, wasn't that not a Borg ship ?

The borg actions - presented on screen (and easily pointed to), that is - speak louder than words. Not that the shows give even much lip service to the notion that the borg have as a priority the assimilation of the federation.
Well, here's the way I see it: they attack Earth twice, and in Endgame stand poised to do it a third time. To me, that's not "not caring". It seems like they very much want to assimilate Earth. Now, perhaps you can point to something that instead indicates that they don't.

Voy "Hope and fear" - we saw a species that survived the borg for centuries before being defeated.
I stand corrected again. My knowledge of Voyager is a bit limited, and I didn't see all of the Borg episodes.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 02:45 PM   #71
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

To nitpick, we don't know that anything shown in "Descent" would be available to the Collective. It could all have been the doing of the separated group of Borg - the ones who adopted fast Drone movement, ranged personal combat weapons and freedom of emotions, among other atypical features.

When we do see Borg transwarp in action, much later, the VFX is somewhat different, supporting the idea that Lore's Borg used something unique. Merely a development of standard Borg transwarp, or something else altogether, dug from deep in the Collective memory or adopted from Lore's infinite resources of wisdom? Hard to tell.

It's a more general point that the Borg don't seem to evolve on timescales as short as centuries or millennia. If they have transwarp today, they probably had it three thousand years ago already. If they weren't stable like that, how come they have existed for hundreds of millennia yet not skyrocketed to some sort of a more prominent existence, through a dozen "singularities"?

Voy "Hope and fear" - we saw a species that survived the borg for centuries before being defeated.
And we never learned they would have been any more powerful than the UFP, in absolute terms.

It instead rather seems that the Borg don't care all that much about anybody, not in the sense of seeing them as threats needing to be eliminated. The Borg are invulnerable to counterattacks, and have no pressing need to cause devastation. They can assimilate on a very prolonged schedule - the slower, the better, because that gives the opponent more time to invent cool countermeasures that then fall in Borg hands.

We see how "underwhelming" attacks are deliberately used to promote development in victims in "Child's Play". Sending individual Cubes against the UFP is quite probably just the same thing on an ever-so-slightly larger scale.

It's probably noteworthy that "Best of Both Worlds" is the only time the Borg claim they have come to assimilate Earth, or the UFP, or whatever. Also interestingly, they do so through Locutus, not through their Collective voice. It's as if they needed the services of a dedicated liar to get their act going...

You will have the right to say this when you will actually present evidence of your own
Naah. You better just learn some manners, then learn the meaning of those words, and then return to the conversation. No action is required from the part of anybody else.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 03:49 PM   #72
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Belz... wrote: View Post
The borg actions - presented on screen (and easily pointed to), that is - speak louder than words. Not that the shows give even much lip service to the notion that the borg have as a priority the assimilation of the federation.
Well, here's the way I see it: they attack Earth twice, and in Endgame stand poised to do it a third time. To me, that's not "not caring". It seems like they very much want to assimilate Earth. Now, perhaps you can point to something that instead indicates that they don't.
The borg sent a cube for the federation a year after encountering it, then another after a few more years.
That, when the borg could easily have sent thousands of cubes.

You don't send so little resources if you actually care about conquering the opponent.

Timo wrote: View Post
To nitpick, we don't know that anything shown in "Descent" would be available to the Collective. It could all have been the doing of the separated group of Borg - the ones who adopted fast Drone movement, ranged personal combat weapons and freedom of emotions, among other atypical features.
Really, Timo?
So - either this group of drones were super geniuses (nothing showed or implied they were) or the collective at large already had transwarp (as it's established in Voy).

You could stand to look up "probable" speculation in the dictionary, as well.

It's a more general point that the Borg don't seem to evolve on timescales as short as centuries or millennia. If they have transwarp today, they probably had it three thousand years ago already. If they weren't stable like that, how come they have existed for hundreds of millennia yet not skyrocketed to some sort of a more prominent existence, through a dozen "singularities"?
The borg evolve - technologically - quite rapidly, as long a there's someone more advanced to assimilate.
Singularity? In trek you only have turning into a lightbulb via spirituality hand-waving.

Voy "Hope and fear" - we saw a species that survived the borg for centuries before being defeated.
And we never learned they would have been any more powerful than the UFP, in absolute terms.
The only thing that could make it clearer that they were stronger than the federation would have been to be told directly they were stronger than the federation.
They had more advanced tech, were far more successful against far more borg than the federation, etc.

It instead rather seems that the Borg don't care all that much about anybody, not in the sense of seeing them as threats needing to be eliminated. The Borg are invulnerable to counterattacks, and have no pressing need to cause devastation. They can assimilate on a very prolonged schedule - the slower, the better, because that gives the opponent more time to invent cool countermeasures that then fall in Borg hands.
And then there are the one planet species in the delta quadrant the borg assimilated completely and abruptly - by sending a few cubes. As opposed to sending a cube to assimilate an entire quadrant.

There are species the borg really want to assimilate and species that don't have this "honor". The federation is among the latter.
For this latter, one could make the argument regarding borg using them to harvest new technologies.

It's probably noteworthy that "Best of Both Worlds" is the only time the Borg claim they have come to assimilate Earth, or the UFP, or whatever. Also interestingly, they do so through Locutus, not through their Collective voice. It's as if they needed the services of a dedicated liar to get their act going...
The borg said they'll assimilate their targets in First Contact (while heading straight for earth) and pretty much every time they were encountered afterwards.

You will have the right to say this when you will actually present evidence of your own
Naah. You better just learn some manners, then learn the meaning of those words, and then return to the conversation. No action is required from the part of anybody else.
An arguments-free dictum. How very not convincing.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; May 21 2013 at 04:07 PM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 04:12 PM   #73
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
The borg sent a cube for the federation a year after encountering it, then another after a few more years.
That, when the borg could easily have sent thousands of cubes.

You don't send so little resources if you actually care about conquering the opponent.
Well you're the one who said they had millions of cubes. Would it kill them to send 15 and be done with it ?

An arguments-free dictum. How very not convincing.
Again, would you mind being more civil ? I don't see anything else than argument by fiat from you either. Chill a bit.
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 04:13 PM   #74
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Belz... wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I think it's implied that it's through a telepathic link (forged during his time with the Collective) that becomes active whenever the Borg are in the neighborhood.
Right, it doesn't make sense. Picard isn't a Betazoid.
Which is irrelevant because we have seen Humans experience telepathic links before in which they are the receiver rather than the sender (one example is in TOS with Miranda Jones). Some telepathic races like Vulcans require physical contact to establish a link while others like Betazoids do not. Some telepathic races are so powerful that they can transmit thoughts over vast distances in space. With the Borg comprised of many races assimilated from all over known space, it's not implausible all that a telepathic race (or several) are among them and that biological distinctiveness was added to the Collective.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 04:29 PM   #75
Belz...
Fleet Captain
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Location: In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

Ok, but why would Picard receive the information necessary to defeat the Cube ? Was it by accident ?
__________________
And that's my opinion.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.