Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 15 2013, 03:45 AM   #46
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Now if the Ent-E is considered the flagship vessel, that might mean other Captain's might consider Picard as the most senior Captain, which is why they allowed him to take command of the fleet.
Works for me.
Old April 16 2013, 06:12 PM   #47
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Now if the Ent-E is considered the flagship vessel, that might mean other Captain's might consider Picard as the most senior Captain, which is why they allowed him to take command of the fleet.
Like I said, the other captains allowed Picard to take command because they recognized his experience - both with the Borg and with pretty much everything else. Picard's record of service in Starfleet is well known. Everybody knows he's a good captain. So given that Starfleet was getting its ass kicked left and right, they were almost out of options. And then along comes Picard, who has years of experience with the Borg - something none of them have? Of course they're going to let him.
not to mention Picard also had a fully intact starship at his command.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 06:06 AM   #48
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Starfleet Regulation 191 (Article 14): In a combat situation involving more than one ship, command falls to the vessel with tactical superiority, should there not be a higher ranking officer present.

I'd say of all the ships in the fleet engaging the Cube, the E-E has tactical superiority, giving Picard more than enough justification to assume command. Add to that he was the previous CO of the Federation Flagship, I'd think most Captain's would line up behind him, regardless of how he came to be involved.
I agree. Additionally, his crew was almost the exact crew that beat the Borg the last time. Not only is his ship more tactically advanced, but his crew had greater experience fighting the Borg. Plus, the fleet was loosing badly. What Picard did could be the equivalent to a Hail Marry Pass.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 09:54 AM   #49
Timo
Admiral

not to mention Picard also had a fully intact starship at his command.
Then again, some of the other ships in the fight did not appear all that beaten up. Indeed, most of them, in the long shots, were rendered without damage to their hulls.

The fight had just moments ago reached the Sol system; it would stand to reason that some ships had only joined the fight at this point, taking over from the bunch that had last been involved in the running battle (which itself was probably conducted in relays, even if the Defiant was present at both the beginning and the end). Such ships would be even "fresher" than the E-E, as they'd be both undamaged and unfatigued from a long RNZ-Earth run...

Of course, the E-E did appear to be the biggest and baddest ship remaining, even if there were fresher ones out there. Although that's a matter of interpretation, as there was at least one intact-looking Nebula there, and those are bigger at least.

Also, Earth should be teeming with competent Admirals to send into the fray. Loss of "the Admiral" should be a temporary setback only: Picard must have ended up exploiting a very brief window of opportunity here.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 05:59 PM   #50
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Timo wrote: View Post
Also, Earth should be teeming with competent Admirals to send into the fray. Loss of "the Admiral" should be a temporary setback only: Picard must have ended up exploiting a very brief window of opportunity here.
The problem with that argument is those Admirals are on Earth, not on the battlefront. The data they get will be delayed. Earth has scanners, but they're likely satellite or relayed information from ships on the line. Other than standing orders to targeting weapons systems, they will drastically be at a disadvantage.

We have NORAD and we have the Pentagon, but they don't deal with coordinating battle plans on the front. Afghanistan has it's own central command to deal with that.

What's surprising though was the lack of any defensive satellite or the lack of a starbase over Earth to defend it against attacks.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 07:02 PM   #51
Captrek
Rear Admiral

The defensive satellites are cloaked. Or they're small dark objects floating in the blackness of space. Or they're just off camera. Or they've been taken out by the Borg.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 03:36 PM   #52
Marsden
Captain

I find it incredible they can find that many ships to fight an invader when usually there is only one ship in range to save Earth.

Otherwise, Picard should have been promoted to fleet captain or commodore for the movies. Maybe then Riker could have been a captain and still his XO. I don't think Picard would have gone insane from being promoted.
Old May 1 2013, 09:19 PM   #53
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post
I find it incredible they can find that many ships to fight an invader when usually there is only one ship in range to save Earth.
I think during the TOS era, they were going with the idea that the Starfleet was fairly small and generally thinly stretched out, with starships being deployed more like today's aircraft carriers.
Old May 1 2013, 09:25 PM   #54
R. Star
Rear Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Marsden wrote: View Post
I think during the TOS era, they were going with the idea that the Starfleet was fairly small and generally thinly stretched out, with starships being deployed more like today's aircraft carriers.
Heck, I think it was that way until Wolf 359. Even there they could only scrape together 42 ships. I always just got the impression that most of Starfleet was deployed in unexplored space on mapping/survey missions and what not.

It wasn't until after Wolf 359 and tensions with they seemed to keep a larger fleet presence inside Federation territory. After the Dominion War I can't see them going back to having so much of the fleet away from the Federation.
Old May 2 2013, 10:23 AM   #55
Timo
Admiral

The data they get will be delayed.
Not in Star Trek. With the technology of the show, the communications lag across ten lightyears is a millisecond!

In "Best of Both Worlds", Earth got a warning about five-six days in advance, and managed to summon about 40 ships. Also, that was in peacetime.

In ST:FC, we don't know the length of the advance warning, but once again the Borg fly in from the outer fringes of the UFP - so an advance warning of about a week is quite possible here as well. Also, war with the Dominion is imminent. Earth could have prepared a defensive fleet. Or, perhaps more probably, Earth would be amassing an offensive fleet, to be deployed at Bajor later on.

The latter idea would also allow us to assume that the ships being gathered were not particularly good at defense. Many (say, the odd-looking and nearly unarmed Steamrunners) might have been dedicated to planetary assault and for that reason would contribute little to the battle but the pretty visuals of their destruction. Hence, the arrival of the E-E would make all the difference, in a way the arrival of the E-D would not have affected the earlier Wolf 359 battle in any way since there were already plenty of Nebula caliber ships there.

Timo Saloniemi
Old May 16 2013, 11:49 PM   #56
xvicente
Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
The data they get will be delayed.
Not in Star Trek. With the technology of the show, the communications lag across ten lightyears is a millisecond!
"Captain's log. Stardate: The Year of the Tiger. The battle has been bravely fought, and the suffering of our troops, beyond measure. But the alien is invulnerable, and our defeat: inevitable. That much is certain, even from my remote command post here at the Times Square Applebee's."

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 07:47 PM   #57
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
In any case, he had to get close enough to go from spooky flashback dreams to actual contact. This continued through the rest of the movie as he was able to hear snippets of what the queen was up to in the basement.
Which was an ass pull ability for the movie, wasn't it? I don't recall him being able to "hear" Borg in "Descent" or "I, Borg", but I could be wrong.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:03 PM   #58
USS Firefly
Commander

It was only in the movie that he was hearing the borg
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 03:37 PM   #59
Timo
Admiral

And that was probably only because the Borg wanted to be heard.

Sure, it cost them one Cube, but it did get Picard lured into the past and into tampering the history of the first Earthling warp flight - and apparently the Borg were very satisfied with that result, because they let it stand. With the ability to travel in time and retry and retry again, they would have no reason to stop before they were fully satisfied, after all...

Timo Saloniemi
Old May 20 2013, 11:44 PM   #60
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Captrek wrote: View Post
How come the Borg come to Earth and fight through 24th century Starfleet defenses before going back in time, instead of going back in time first and then going to Earth with nobody but 21st century defenses in their way?
And why pick a date back in time with such a short window of opportunity for success ? And why didn't they just go back in time, tell past Borg about the federation and let that be the end of it ? And why not send 15 cubes to Earth ? And how did Geordi re-create the temporal anomaly ? Can Starfleet go back and forth into time at will ? Why didn't they just slingshot around the sun ?

This movie makes my head hurt. At least it's entertaining.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote