Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 15 2013, 02:49 PM   #31
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Skippable episodes abound...

I honestly don't get how anyone can actually complain about there being too much "character stuff"!! To me that's the strong point of the entire series, that's what makes it stand above so much standard sci-fi fare. I love a bit of serious depth in my characters. I like a good battle as much as the next guy but I'm not five and I don't need stuff being blown up in space every ten minutes in order to find things interesting.
For my money, pretty much the outstanding episode of the entire run of the series (though there were a great number of excellent contenders) was the Season 1 episode "Duet". You could have taken the whole thing and minus the costumes and make-up it wouldn't have been out of place in a straight film dealing with the horrors of Nazism. It's the episode that convinced me that this was a cut above.

Throughout I found the most captivating episodes those that were built around two strong characters confronting one another in close-up. "Duet" as mentioned. Bashir and Garak in "The Wire". Dukat and Sisko in "Waltz". To me those were always the most powerful tales, and the most involving, and I can watch those any number of times. They fly on the strength of the writing and most of all, the acting.
It's unfortunately rare to see some real dialogue and "proper" acting in TV these days. They're too afraid people will get bored and switch channels if something doesn't go "bang!" every other second. I loved DS9 for bucking the trend.

The few "skippable" episodes for me were the ones like "Meridian" which just seemed contrived and pointless, or the likes of "Move Along Home" which seemed silly without being really amusing. But every show has a few glitches like that. I'd watch the vast majority over again.
Old April 15 2013, 04:08 PM   #32
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

A big chunk of the last season is skippable, sadly.
Old April 15 2013, 08:43 PM   #33
commanderkai
Lieutenant

Move Along Home, and If Wishes were Horses are instant skips for me for Season 1. Move Along Home is just...bad, and If Wishes Were Horses would have been much better if, say, Jennifer, and not some random ballplayer, came into existence for Sisko and Jake. For the most part, Season 1 isn't all that bad, although there are some that are certainly "Meh."
commanderkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 04:07 PM   #34
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I think DS9 would seem to have more "skippable" episodes than the other series because of the overarching story of the series. The other series, with the exceptions of the last couple of seasons of Enterprise, don't have a clear-cut long-form story being told, and thus, all episodes are equal in perceived importance.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 04:24 PM   #35
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Eh, the short version is... don't let people tell you what is and isn't good. Opinions vary and I'm sure you can form your own without someone feeding it to you. If it's your first time watching the series, watch it all. If it's a rewatch... then I'm sure you don't need anyone to tell you what you did and didn't like.