New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 18 2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Noddy
Captain

Jenny

Are there any theories as to why the character of Jenny, from The Doctor's Daughter, after setting off into the universe to have her own adventures, was seemingly just totally forgotten about after her one appearance? This is a character who is just crying out to return, IMO, but Moffat and co haven't done anything with her.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 07:22 PM   #2
MickJo1701
Commander

Re: Jenny

I doubt her character will return as RTD was the showrunner at the time, maybe the intention was to revisit her had RTD produced further series. In fairness to Moffat he didn't create the character and obviously doesn't feel obliged to write a follow up.
MickJo1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

^But it was reportedly Moffat's idea to bring Jenny back to life at the end of the story. Which suggests he wanted to do something more with the character.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 07:58 PM   #4
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I thought there was an unspoken agreement that we pretend that episode never happened?

DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Maybe Steven is afraid it will look like nepotism to idiots?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
^But it was reportedly Moffat's idea to bring Jenny back to life at the end of the story. Which suggests he wanted to do something more with the character.
Moffat has said when asked about it that his reported role in Jenny's survival was overblown. He read the script and said that he thought it was a waste that Jenny died at the end. RTD thought about it, agreed, and the ending was rewritten.

I suspect he has no interest in the character.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 09:13 PM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome

Jenny is River Song.
Old October 18 2013, 09:20 PM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

I don't think the character has been forgotten so much as it's a result of Georgia Moffett being a bit busy. Getting married, having two kids, plus raising a pre-teen. Looking over IMDB, she hasn't done that much acting the past few years, so I'm not surprised she hasn't returned to Doctor Who.
Old October 18 2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I don't think the character has been forgotten so much as it's a result of Georgia Moffett being a bit busy. Getting married, having two kids, plus raising a pre-teen. Looking over IMDB, she hasn't done that much acting the past few years, so I'm not surprised she hasn't returned to Doctor Who.
So, which of those children will carry on in Dad and Grandpa's shoes and become a future Doctor? (And of course, mom was a kinda-Doctor)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I thought at one point they planned a spin off for her.

But either way, she has been forgotten in the mists of time.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think they wanted to keep their options open, but that doesn't mean they're heavily motivated to exercise those options. My guess is, if a writer wants to use her character and she's not too busy, they'll do a story. An outside writer seems more likely to me.

Of course, once the Doctor sees her again, he'll know that he's not quite so alone when it comes to Timelords (sure, he's got River, but River is dead so that's different). That's not a problem, but it's something they need to keep in mind when it comes to a story.
Old October 19 2013, 06:25 AM   #12
Australis
Writer

A lot of things have been forgotten about in recent Who, one of the things that's starting to annoy me about it.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 07:22 AM   #13
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I'd love to see her come back as a villain personally. She doesn't understand why she is alive, and because she was created to fight she finds herself compelled towards conflict after conflict. She starts going through her regenerations so fast that her mind becomes permanently frazzled and she becomes a sort of crazy 'immortal' warlord. When the Doctor finds her (and defeats her) he has to break it to her that there is a limit (which parallels his own fast approaching mortality) which then drives her to a Master-like hunt to prolong her life.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 01:35 PM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

Of course, if you insist on having some sort of conclusion, that's relatively simple to think up. The shuttle she stole at the end of the episode didn't have FTL meaning her only real choices were to drift in space or return to the colony.
Old October 19 2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Australis wrote: View Post
A lot of things have been forgotten about in recent Who, one of the things that's starting to annoy me about it.
That's hardly recent. The original Who ignored its past all the time, since after all the makers never expected any of its serials to endure or be remembered. For instance, the first season repeatedly insisted (in "The Aztecs" and "The Reign of Terror") that history was immutable and impossible to change, but the second season blithely tossed that out the window in "The Time Meddler," a story that was entirely about preventing someone from changing history. Then there were the three different, incompatible explanations for the fall of Atlantis, and teleportation (T-mat) existing in the mid-21st century but then being unknown centuries later, and so forth.

Doctor Who has always been something of a tall tale, and part of the fun of tall tales is their cavalier approach to their own internal logic and consistency. It's the kind of show where one needs to turn off one's continuity-policing urges and just go with it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote