Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7 2013, 12:55 PM   #91
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

She's not as obnoxiously unfunny as Tate and she's less forgettable than Agyeman so I prefer her already.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 01:00 PM   #92
RoJoHen
Awesome

I just don't feel like we know enough about her to form any kind of opinion. At this point she's basically a plot device to get the Doctor active again. We haven't done much to actually explore who Clara is and what makes her tick.
Old April 7 2013, 01:03 PM   #93
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

That's hardly abnormal though. Sarah-Jane hadn't made much impact by her second story either.
Old April 7 2013, 01:05 PM   #94
Avon
Fleet Captain

the problems is, they killed off the smart, interesting victorian clara and replaced her with a boring amy-clone

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 01:08 PM   #95
RoJoHen
Awesome

DalekJim wrote: View Post
That's hardly abnormal though. Sarah-Jane hadn't made much impact by her second story either.
Fair enough. Certain companions will simply click faster than others. I know you're not a huge fan, but absolutely loved Donna right out of the gate. "The Runway Bride" Christmas Special is one of my all-time favorite episodes of the entire show, mostly because of Catherine Tate.
Old April 7 2013, 01:11 PM   #96
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I liked Lance in Runaway Bride. An anti-reality television and celebrity gossip man that gleefully plots to murder Catherine Tate for her obnoxious behaviour.

I found him utterly relatable in a way no other RTD characters are.
Old April 7 2013, 01:11 PM   #97
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

junxon wrote: View Post
the problems is, they killed off the smart, interesting victorian clara and replaced her with a boring amy-clone
Actually they killed off the smart, interesting future Clara, replaced her with the smart, interesting victorian Clara, which they also killed off, and replaced her with the smart, interesting modern-day Clara. It's basically the exact same character.
Old April 7 2013, 01:16 PM   #98
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Actually they killed off the smart, interesting future Clara, replaced her with the smart, interesting victorian Clara, which they also killed off, and replaced her with the smart, interesting modern-day Clara. It's basically the exact same character.

I would have much prefered that Victorian Clara be the companion but I still like the current one. I just dislike modern day London so it's irritating we always keep going back there. It's patronising to the audience.
Old April 7 2013, 01:20 PM   #99
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

It's patronising to the audience.
In what way?
Old April 7 2013, 01:22 PM   #100
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

It's patronising to the audience.
In what way?
It seems like they don't think the audience can relate to, or find interesting, anything historical or alien so we just get characters from modern day London over and over. It's the same reason I hate JJ Abrams narrowing Star Trek's focus to being Earth. It's dumbing the premise down severely.
Old April 7 2013, 01:29 PM   #101
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

It seems like they don't think the audience can relate to, or find interesting, anything historical or alien so we just get characters from modern day London over and over.
They're right. You need a point-of-view character. It's the oldest trick in the book: the double act. If you want your funny guy to be funny, you need to pair him with a straight guy. You can't have two funny guys. For the same reason, pairing the weird eccentric alien Doctor with another alien or a girl from the 13th Century wouldn't work.

Me, I like people, I know people, I relate to people. Show me a police procedural where one cop is a ghost and the other cop is a martian and I'm out.
Old April 7 2013, 01:29 PM   #102
Konata Izumi
Commander

^You know Being Human? It has a ghost, a vampire and a werewolf as the main characters. It's in the name.
Psion wrote: View Post
Aaaaand I want to point out that the big, red, glowy thing wasn't a sun. It was a planet.
It seemed to function as a secondary sun though. It got a bit darker than before, maybe it was night, but it sends a messed up message. Maybe it was supposed to mean they can embrace negativity now but they forgot to allude to it properly.

The rest of the episode has such a meaningful story in the paradoxical society where good meanings count more than what would be valuable for any contrived bureaucratic mechanisms, and then they spend so much on making an unnecessary god happy, so they can escape doing something of actual worth.

The singing conveys meanings so well and the sonic wand battle sequence was a great battle of wills, but there were parts left obviously distractingly vague, but that's just a delay, not an obstacle, if there's such an expression in english.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 01:35 PM   #103
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

It looked like absolute crap, photoshopped people standing on photoshopped floating rocks they got to riding on a wooden box.

A bunch of gobbledegook with lashings of sentiment that failed since it was impossible to care. Terrible.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 01:37 PM   #104
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

You need a point-of-view character.
The point of view character does not need to be from this Earth though. Luke Skywalker is the point of view character in Star Wars and he's from a desert planet. It's assuming the audience are utterly thick to think that they won't be able to relate to anybody not local.

Romana is one of the most popular companions and she's from Gallifrey. Leela is another popular companion from another world!
Old April 7 2013, 01:49 PM   #105
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

And yet the most popular classic companion who came back and got her own spinoff was... Sarah Jane Smith, regular human gal.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
Aaaaand I want to point out that the big, red, glowy thing wasn't a sun. It was a planet.
True story. Was just about to post something similar. I'm pretty sure they specifically call it a planet early in the episode even.
The Doctor refers to it as a planet when he and Clara arrive. It's when he's telling her about the legend that all life began on 'that planet' in front of them.
Well then, there's that sorted with those reminders. Quibble dealt with, this episode is pretty much flawless.

You could do a whole lot worse than to clone Karen Gillan.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Fair enough. Certain companions will simply click faster than others. I know you're not a huge fan, but absolutely loved Donna right out of the gate. "The Runway Bride" Christmas Special is one of my all-time favorite episodes of the entire show, mostly because of Catherine Tate.
Runaway Bride's Donna was... ok. Terrible in the first half, pretty good by the end. But her second time round in Series 4 was absolutely fantastic right from the start.