Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7 2013, 09:36 AM   #76
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Australis wrote: View Post
Very two minds about this, gave it a good.

The production values, except for the space scooter CGI, were pretty high, and I liked all the aliens (and a fair number had moving mouths).

But, I dunno. The Dr visiting the funeral? Clara in the past? Clara's magic leaf, with not just the past but all the days that never came? (ok, that wasn't a bad idea) Yet another "I'm the lonely doctor with a big past" speech? Almost touching but we've heard it all before.

And I know I'm in a party of one but Clara does not click with me, and I'd rate her, personally, worst companion evar. She's just a pretty face with not a lot going on behind it, while trying very, very hard to make her 'mysterious'. Yeah, hate me, just a personal opinion.

That's how I feel about pretty much everyone, though. I get following Clara's past, but why not check the pasts of the other two as well? I can do without another mysterious companion, as well, but heck I'm game for a pretty face. As others have mentioned, Victorian Clara would have been a bit more interesting as we've had all modern companions to date. I am interested to see how things go when we run into Vastra and Jenny again down the road. I hope the stories get more fun for you.

Cutter John wrote: View Post

And I know I'm in a party of one but Clara does not click with me, and I'd rate her, personally, worst companion evar. She's just a pretty face with not a lot going on behind it, while trying very, very hard to make her 'mysterious'. Yeah, hate me, just a personal opinion.

Two episodes in and shes already "worst companion evar"? Damn that must be some sort of record.
Maybe, gotta say Rose annoyed me from the first episode and never changed. Hopefully, Clara will improve on Austalis.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:39 AM   #77
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

The misnamed thread title gives a clue as to where the writer (Neil Cross) probably got his inspiration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhnaten_(opera)

If only the music had been anything like as good as that.

I voted average because there were compensating moments, but the "companion as mystery" reveal had better be good.
Old April 7 2013, 09:39 AM   #78
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Psion wrote: View Post
Aaaaand I want to point out that the big, red, glowy thing wasn't a sun. It was a planet.

True story. Was just about to post something similar. I'm pretty sure they specifically call it a planet early in the episode even.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:39 AM   #79
throwback
Captain

I haven't seen a Doctor Who in a long while where I am asking myself this question, Am I even able to comprehend fully what I have just seen? On this episode, I understand the theme of lost and being found again - it's emphasized repeatedly. And I understand the Doctor's desire to understand who Clara is, and how he went about investigating that question. However, that business on that "world", I don't get it. So, I have partial comprehension, and I hate how I feel.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:43 AM   #80
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
Aaaaand I want to point out that the big, red, glowy thing wasn't a sun. It was a planet.

True story. Was just about to post something similar. I'm pretty sure they specifically call it a planet early in the episode even.
The Doctor refers to it as a planet when he and Clara arrive. It's when he's telling her about the legend that all life began on 'that planet' in front of them.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:47 AM   #81
Candlelight
Admiral

First time in 50 years a New Zealander gets to write an episode and he balls it up...
Old April 7 2013, 09:49 AM   #82
throwback
Captain

The Doctor Who wiki identified that red whatever as a living star, and that red whatever had "eyes", a "nose", and a "mouth". This was not the first living star encountered by the Doctor; that honor would go to Torajii.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 10:25 AM   #83
Ghost Bones
Captain

Good Lord, what rubbish! Sub-Harry Potter nonsense, even down to the sonic wand doing all sorts. This really was RTD-level storytelling. The sun god thingy looked cool though.
Old April 7 2013, 10:25 AM   #84
Mitty
Vice Admiral

Hm, I really, really don't know. I gave it an average.

Visually, spectacular.

The Clara's parents teaser, the Doctor watching, etc was nice, and made sense considering how puzzled the Doctor is over "what" Clara is.

Of course we get a few clues: Clara's Mum telling her that she'll always be there, and then promptly dies. I'm wondering if Clara's Mum has something to do with what's going on.

I looked at the dates on Clara's Mums tombstone. she died on 5th March 2005. Which is about three weeks before the new series started, but only about three days before the leak of the episode "Rose". I doubt it's relevant, but I find it interesting.

Them mention of Susan was interesting, I thought we might get more about that.

Jump to the final speech given by the Doctor. I need to go back and watch that again, because I think we get some good stuff there that we haven't had before.

I didn't think the leaf would come into it again so soon. Bit of a shame but obviously we're going to get more.

Also, as much as I love the sonic, can he leave it behind next week? It's getting very, very annoying.
Old April 7 2013, 10:26 AM   #85
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I thought it was truly marvelous. Really worked for me.
Old April 7 2013, 11:39 AM   #86
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Nope. I don't know when I'll have time to rewatch it but my first impressions are pretty negative. The ridiculous scooter thing aside it looked spectacular but effects, snazzy or otherwise, are among the last reasons I watch anything. I prefer substance and this episode didn't have much.

The complaints (for lack of a better word) about the music are interesting. I can't say I noticed, but then again I've generally enjoyed Gold's contributions.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Loved the Susan shout-out.
This was one of the very few pluses for me. Nice touch on someone's part.

And I know I'm in a party of one but Clara does not click with me [...]
Or with me. She's not the worst companion ever but I don't get the fuss over her at all. I hope she becomes even slightly interesting very soon.

Two episodes in and shes already "worst companion evar"? Damn that must be some sort of record.
Hardly. I detested Martha from day one.
Old April 7 2013, 11:52 AM   #87
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I really, really like Clara but her status as a favourite depends almost entirely on how this mystery turns out.

Martha was actually very good and way better than Rose in her first episode. Then she became increasingly infatuated with The Doctor and it became tedious.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 12:04 PM   #88
Blamo
Fleet Captain

The biggest success and mistake with this story was Clara's backstory. It was wonderfully written and wonderfully thought out. The problem was it took up half the story, if not more, leaving the rest to be rushed.

This is basically Clara's 'End of the World', but with the plot being pushed aside for Clara exposition.

It's wonderfully acted, the music is beautiful, the visuals are fantastic, concepts were good and dialogue both funny and evocative. The dialogue was a triumph in my opinion.

It's just not much actually happened.

Oh and any scene with that scooter was just silly and not in a good way.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 12:37 PM   #89
RoJoHen
Awesome

No kidding. I didn't like Amy yet after two episodes either, but she and Rory grew to become my favorite companions. So who knows how Clara will turn out? I think she has potential.

As for the episode, I enjoyed it, though it was certainly flawed. I'm a huge sap for sentimentality, though, so even though I wasn't really sure what was going on, I was still crying when Clara had to give up her leaf!
Old April 7 2013, 12:50 PM   #90
Australis
Writer

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but to put it another way I liked all the other companions (even Donna and Martha) right from the start, whereas Clara... meh.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote