TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7 2013, 05:57 AM   #61
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

I don't have the best ear for music.

Was that girl singing or humming?

Ditto with Blondie from the Christmas special.

(Yes, I know her name.)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:57 AM   #62
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Ok, I know this is a minority opinion, but I'll say it anyway.

The more I watch Doctor Who, the more I don't like Murray Gold's score. Granted, there's some good stuff there, but WHY DOES THE MUSIC HAVE TO BE SO LOUD. Maybe I am old (I'm 28 by the way), but I'm watching this episode and the story is fast paced and actually quite enjoyable, but I'm not understanding WHAT ANYONE IS SAYING BECAUSE THE MUSIC IS SO BLATANTLY LOUD. What I got out of this episode is there is a false belief that people have to be sacrificed for the civilization to survive yet the show decides to say that is poppycock and it's just an alien sun monster thing who looks like Zordon from Power Rangers who needs the souls of this civilization to survive. Did I get that right? Oh, and the faith is based on beautiful music.

I actually did like this episode quite a bit, probably more than last week's but the music almost killed it for me. The bits I did like the most though was learning about Clara as a little girl, and the theme of memories being the sum of all of us. That final scene where she gives up the leaf was quite emotional, and for a companion joining the Doctor for the first time and doing that and figuring it all out, I think this is my favorite type of that episode, better than End of the World or Beast Below or whatever the one that featured Martha. I just wish the music was quieter, because there are some good scores, but I don't like how Gold just overshadows everything.

Yes it's been mentioned before that his music has overwhelmed some scenes

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=97917

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:02 AM   #63
Aldo
Admiral

Do often with nuWho we get stories that are Earth-centric and to me that's really tiring. Especially considering some of the greatest stories of the old series took place completely in alien settings. So it was with great interest that tonight's episode did just that.

Having said all that, I did really enjoy this episode, I know I'm in the minority here, but that's OK. This one really felt like it could have came from the classic series, just condensed a bit. I would have really liked a bit more story, but what was there was pretty good. When Clara separated from the Doctor near the beginning of the episode, I was worried it would be a Doctor-lite episode so I was thankful that that was not the case.

I was hoping this whole "otherworldly" aspect of Doctor Who would carry over to the next episode or so as well, but judging by the previews...that sadly does not seem to be the case.
Old April 7 2013, 06:24 AM   #64
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Oh dear.

Not much of this made sense, and even the bits that made sense didn't particulary interest.

Smith acted his socks off at the end to try and save it, but I'm not sure how the monster-thats-actually-a-sun was defeated by a leaf.

So the seven planets now have no sun?

I love Doctor Who but this was right down there with the worst.
I'm not quite remembering it all, so here goes:

The sun god creature was a parasitic lifeform that every thousand years wakes up and needs feeding with psychic energy. In particular that generated by negative emotions and memories; the aliens use a girl and implant all of the stories of their culture, which I then presume causes the appropriate mental conditions required to make this tasty sacrifice work, and offer her up to it so that their god will be sent back to sleep.

However thanks to his interference in this process, the Doctor himself instead offered it his thousand or so years of pent up negative psychic energy to feed on, and tried to gorge it to sleep again, if not, to death. The Doctor almost got it all the way there, but it needed just an extra push past the post, which Clara provided by offering up her family's life story, embodied by the leaf that allowed her parents to first meet.

I've probably got some of this horribly wrong.
No, you got it mostly right but left out a part: The reason why the leaf was so important it is because the leaf represents an infinite amount of potential stories and memories that could have happened.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 06:53 AM   #65
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

I didn't have a problem with the music. But then I usually listen through headphones. Maybe that makes a difference.

Only gave it an Average. The alien culture was wonderful, and Matt and Jenna were great. I just found the main plot overly confusing and lacking any emotional attachment.
In other words, I really didn't care what happened.

Even the singing was a let down. C'mon, is this the same guy who composed Vale Decem and Abigail's Song?

I do hope things pick up next week, even though the trailer makes it feel like a remake of Warrior of the Deep.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; April 7 2013 at 07:21 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 07:09 AM   #66
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Also, I feel compelled to point out that music drowning out the dialogue isn't Murray Gold's fault. That would be the sound editor's responsibility. A person who obviously really likes Murray's work.
Old April 7 2013, 07:30 AM   #67
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Psion wrote: View Post
Also, I feel compelled to point out that music drowning out the dialogue isn't Murray Gold's fault. That would be the sound editor's responsibility. A person who obviously really likes Murray's work.
Fine, it's time to get a new sound editor then.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 07:51 AM   #68
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Oh dear.

Not much of this made sense, and even the bits that made sense didn't particulary interest.

Smith acted his socks off at the end to try and save it, but I'm not sure how the monster-thats-actually-a-sun was defeated by a leaf.

So the seven planets now have no sun?

I love Doctor Who but this was right down there with the worst.
I'm not quite remembering it all, so here goes:

The sun god creature was a parasitic lifeform that every thousand years wakes up and needs feeding with psychic energy. In particular that generated by negative emotions and memories; the aliens use a girl and implant all of the stories of their culture, which I then presume causes the appropriate mental conditions required to make this tasty sacrifice work, and offer her up to it so that their god will be sent back to sleep.

However thanks to his interference in this process, the Doctor himself instead offered it his thousand or so years of pent up negative psychic energy to feed on, and tried to gorge it to sleep again, if not, to death. The Doctor almost got it all the way there, but it needed just an extra push past the post, which Clara provided by offering up her family's life story, embodied by the leaf that allowed her parents to first meet.

I've probably got some of this horribly wrong.
Fair enough.

I still cant work out how the seven planets survived without Sunface Angrygod though. Also, was it really necessary to interfere? The doctor took a massive chance here I thought. The only person that really seemed in trouble was the little girl. Everyone else on the seven planets had been getting along just nicely the last few millennia - they didnt seem particularly enslaved or anything. They just sacrified a little girl every thousand years or so to keep the peace.

I mean, it all turned out alright in the end but it could have ended up wiping out SEVEN PLANETS. Im not saying its right but I doubt Picard would have intervened...
Old April 7 2013, 07:53 AM   #69
Aldo
Admiral

Janeway might have though. No, Janeway definitely would have interfered.
Old April 7 2013, 08:06 AM   #70
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And it would have been her first officers duty to stun her unconscious for ignoring the prime directive, lock her up and take over the command.

Did you wonder if the Mummy was an alternate version of the Doctor put there by Susan,who then fed herself to grandfather to stop the god from destroying the universe... I mean when we saw him finally, it was unlikely, but there was a point before that where grandfather was referenced as a Mummy.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 08:47 AM   #71
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Aaaaand I want to point out that the big, red, glowy thing wasn't a sun. It was a planet.

Old April 7 2013, 08:51 AM   #72
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I thought that was fairly dull - a few tidbits for the hardcore nerds and the people trying to work out the series arc but as an actual story? Dull.

Last edited by JoeZhang; April 7 2013 at 09:21 AM.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 08:54 AM   #73
O'Dib
Commodore

I loved this, but just wanted to muse on how unlikely an economy based on tech that assigns numeric value to sentimental trinkets would be. 'Cause.. if all your money is tied up in stupid worthless shit, you'd expect gifts from friends and family constantly just to maintain a lifestyle. Your work wouldn't matter as much as being close with folks so that crap would have meaning. But then if you're used to giving things away constantly, what's around long enough to truly accrue emotional value? Hoarders would be the only billionaires in that society.'

ETA: Now, if that translated to all people having to produce art that's deeply meaningful to trade for food, we might have the makings of a beautiful society.

Last edited by O'Dib; April 7 2013 at 09:05 AM.
O'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:21 AM   #74
Australis
Writer

Very two minds about this, gave it a good.

The production values, except for the space scooter CGI, were pretty high, and I liked all the aliens (and a fair number had moving mouths).

But, I dunno. The Dr visiting the funeral? Clara in the past? Clara's magic leaf, with not just the past but all the days that never came? (ok, that wasn't a bad idea) Yet another "I'm the lonely doctor with a big past" speech? Almost touching but we've heard it all before.

And I know I'm in a party of one but Clara does not click with me, and I'd rate her, personally, worst companion evar. She's just a pretty face with not a lot going on behind it, while trying very, very hard to make her 'mysterious'. Yeah, hate me, just a personal opinion.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:32 AM   #75
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Australis wrote: View Post

And I know I'm in a party of one but Clara does not click with me, and I'd rate her, personally, worst companion evar. She's just a pretty face with not a lot going on behind it, while trying very, very hard to make her 'mysterious'. Yeah, hate me, just a personal opinion.

Two episodes in and shes already "worst companion evar"? Damn that must be some sort of record.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote