TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7 2013, 03:38 AM   #46
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Fabulous. My wife and I were both in tears, we both loved the association of souls and stories and memories... It was so much more literary and mythical than we expected.

Doubtless the majority will have hated it, but it was a favourite for us.
Hear hear. This was a fantastic episode, much better than Bells of St. John. I preferred Victorian Clara or Oswin Oswald after last week, but now I like Modern Clara.

Some Beast Below to it, but that's certainly no bad thing. The singing, the visuals, all the talk of memory and civilization and souls, just brilliant. I assume from the tone of the ending that Grandfather winking out didn't destroy the system and would have liked that to be more clear, but that's the only quibble.

As to Clara being locked out of the TARDIS? Well, she doesn't have a key. Also, I assume Sexy preferred Amy since Clara's referred to her as a Snog Box and seems like she might mean it.
Old April 7 2013, 03:44 AM   #47
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Very enjoyable episode. I loved the sentimental gift economy and how it played a part at the end (which, in itself, made up for the prologue which I wasn't initially keen on). Visually it was gorgeous with its wide variety of aliens (but would it have killed them to have a familiar face or two?). Also loved the Susan reference even if it took them nearly 8 years to do it! Hell, I'm still bummed out Gaiman didn't do it in "The Doctor's Wife."

My only two complaints about this episode were the guardsmen being mostly useless for the story (and a waste for the production) and the face on the sun's surface to personalize it. I loved the idea of sentient sun but the face was over the top.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 03:44 AM   #48
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Oh dear.

Not much of this made sense, and even the bits that made sense didn't particulary interest.

Smith acted his socks off at the end to try and save it, but I'm not sure how the monster-thats-actually-a-sun was defeated by a leaf.

So the seven planets now have no sun?

I love Doctor Who but this was right down there with the worst.
I'm not quite remembering it all, so here goes:

The sun god creature was a parasitic lifeform that every thousand years wakes up and needs feeding with psychic energy. In particular that generated by negative emotions and memories; the aliens use a girl and implant all of the stories of their culture, which I then presume causes the appropriate mental conditions required to make this tasty sacrifice work, and offer her up to it so that their god will be sent back to sleep.

However thanks to his interference in this process, the Doctor himself instead offered it his thousand or so years of pent up negative psychic energy to feed on, and tried to gorge it to sleep again, if not, to death. The Doctor almost got it all the way there, but it needed just an extra push past the post, which Clara provided by offering up her family's life story, embodied by the leaf that allowed her parents to first meet.

I've probably got some of this horribly wrong.

Last edited by Captain_Amasov; April 7 2013 at 03:56 AM.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 03:47 AM   #49
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
My only two complaints about this episode were the guardsmen being mostly useless for the story (and a waste for the production)
Figure fodder?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 03:53 AM   #50
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
What episode was the Doctor referencing when he said he's seen a universe created at the whims of a madman? The only thing I can think of is "Castrovalva", something about the Master creating a new reality and trapping the Doctor in it, something like that?
How about the Master of the Land of Fiction, seen in The Mind Robber? Or perhaps the Celestial Toymaker?
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:09 AM   #51
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

It was decent. Seems to be mainly there to set up stuff for later though, mainly through Clara's backstory.
Old April 7 2013, 04:12 AM   #52
Tom
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
Why didn't the Doctor just take the Tardis to the temple and get the girl when she got there instead of buying the Moped etc..?
"I don't take the TARDIS into battle."
"Because it's made of wood?"
"Because it's the most powerful ship in the universe and I don't want it falling into the wrong hands."

Moffat's explained it.
That's a bunch of Moffett bull, he has used the Tardis countless times in perilous situations. Has he become that insecure about it.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:22 AM   #53
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
Jon1701 wrote: View Post
Oh dear.

Not much of this made sense, and even the bits that made sense didn't particulary interest.

Smith acted his socks off at the end to try and save it, but I'm not sure how the monster-thats-actually-a-sun was defeated by a leaf.

So the seven planets now have no sun?

I love Doctor Who but this was right down there with the worst.
I'm not quite remembering it all, so here goes:

The sun god creature was a parasitic lifeform that every thousand years wakes up and needs feeding with psychic energy. In particular that generated by negative emotions and memories; the aliens use a girl and implant all of the stories of their culture, which I then presume causes the appropriate mental conditions required to make this tasty sacrifice work, and offer her up to it so that their god will be sent back to sleep.

However thanks to his interference in this process, the Doctor himself instead offered it his thousand or so years of pent up negative psychic energy to feed on, and tried to gorge it to sleep again, if not, to death. The Doctor almost got it all the way there, but it needed just an extra push past the post, which Clara provided by offering up her family's life story, embodied by the leaf that allowed her parents to first meet.

I've probably got some of this horribly wrong.
This episode definitely could've been clearer about some things. A lot of stuff was sketchily explained if at all. Things like the memory consumption, what it did to the Doctor, what went wrong with the song, breathing in space, what the space mummy did, planet or sun and so on.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:38 AM   #54
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
"I don't take the TARDIS into battle."
"Because it's made of wood?"
"Because it's the most powerful ship in the universe and I don't want it falling into the wrong hands."

Moffat's explained it.
That's a bunch of Moffett bull, he has used the Tardis countless times in perilous situations. Has he become that insecure about it.
Even if we ignore that he has taken her into battle many times, how does parking the TARDIS in a random spot and driving a few miles stop it from potentially falling into the wrong hands? This so-called explanation really makes no sense.

I still don't see the point of modern Clara, wasn't her dying in the future and showing up in the past mysterious enough. I really would have preferred a victorian companion to another present day chick.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 04:45 AM   #55
timelord1010
Captain

Gave it a average. Not the worst and not the best.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:01 AM   #56
Gov Kodos
Admiral

It was very entertaining. I liked the Doctor able to open up a little more easily about his past by referring to Susan. The angry, lonely, last of the Timelords is tiresome. Clara also seems to be growing aware that the Doctor has more going on than he is telling her. Her comment about everyone having a plan last episode, and recalling the Doctor at her mother's funeral, shows her sharpness and awareness that the Doctor has found fascinating in Clara's other encounters with him. So far, this season with Clara is very satisfying. Also, Jenna and Matt are making a great pair in the Tardis.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:04 AM   #57
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Awful.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:08 AM   #58
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

He never had a prolonged two-way, emotionally-charged conversation with it before, either.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:31 AM   #59
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
You have to forgive the singing. They have to have something for the Doctor Who at the Proms for this year.

I'm still waiting for Katherine Jenkins to sing at the proms!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:42 AM   #60
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Ok, I know this is a minority opinion, but I'll say it anyway.

The more I watch Doctor Who, the more I don't like Murray Gold's score. Granted, there's some good stuff there, but WHY DOES THE MUSIC HAVE TO BE SO LOUD. Maybe I am old (I'm 28 by the way), but I'm watching this episode and the story is fast paced and actually quite enjoyable, but I'm not understanding WHAT ANYONE IS SAYING BECAUSE THE MUSIC IS SO BLATANTLY LOUD. What I got out of this episode is there is a false belief that people have to be sacrificed for the civilization to survive yet the show decides to say that is poppycock and it's just an alien sun monster thing who looks like Zordon from Power Rangers who needs the souls of this civilization to survive. Did I get that right? Oh, and the faith is based on beautiful music.

I actually did like this episode quite a bit, probably more than last week's but the music almost killed it for me. The bits I did like the most though was learning about Clara as a little girl, and the theme of memories being the sum of all of us. That final scene where she gives up the leaf was quite emotional, and for a companion joining the Doctor for the first time and doing that and figuring it all out, I think this is my favorite type of that episode, better than End of the World or Beast Below or whatever the one that featured Martha. I just wish the music was quieter, because there are some good scores, but I don't like how Gold just overshadows everything.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote