RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,143
Posts: 5,401,976
Members: 24,748
Currently online: 438
Newest member: ChrisCrash

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 8 2013, 09:38 PM   #211
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Who else thought the Doctor might have stumbled away from his encounter with the celestial body partially amnesiac? When the Doctor hints about the terrible secrets he knows, he then challenges the entity to "take them all". I wondered if the being might have interpreted the Doctor's words a bit too literally and not simply "listened" but "drained" those memories. We could have ended up with a Doctor almost as clueless about his past as we, the audience" have been these nearly 50 years.

Obviously, a different path was taken, but I honsetly wondered for a few moments.

Oh, one more thing. Obviously, the "mummy" was not a Draconian as some fans had speculated upon seeing that brief glimpse in the highlight trailer.

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:44 PM   #212
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

^



It would have made for an interesting way for a regeneration process to start.

Doctor- TAKE IT ALL!

*Parasite takes his life energy too*

Doctor- Wait! What are you doing?!


We end up with a new doctor with missing memories since the parasite stole them. Cue the regeneration crazy's
__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 10:23 PM   #213
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: West Yorkshire, GOC, UK
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Redfern wrote: View Post
Who else thought the Doctor might have stumbled away from his encounter with the celestial body partially amnesiac? When the Doctor hints about the terrible secrets he knows, he then challenges the entity to "take them all". I wondered if the being might have interpreted the Doctor's words a bit too literally and not simply "listened" but "drained" those memories. We could have ended up with a Doctor almost as clueless about his past as we, the audience" have been these nearly 50 years.
i was really expecting that outcome actually...they've been building up the "silence will fall when the question is asked" thing over the last series. if the doctor doesn't know the answer to the question then silence would most certainly fall
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 10:28 PM   #214
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Starkers wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned (unless I missed it) the Blade Runner homages? "I've seen things you wouldn't believe" which I would have let pass if they hadn't followed it up with "Home again home again jiggedy jig."
...I feel ashamed that missed these quotes considering Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time. When were they spoken?
He says I've seen things you wouldn't believe (or possibly a slight varient of it) during his speech to the "God". home again home again he says as the Tardis touched down at the end.
Ah, okay, I think remember that now. I guess I didn't notice because Matt Smith says it with a completely different inflection from Rutger Hauer. Plus, Smith said the whole speech pretty damn quick.

Redfern wrote: View Post
Who else thought the Doctor might have stumbled away from his encounter with the celestial body partially amnesiac? When the Doctor hints about the terrible secrets he knows, he then challenges the entity to "take them all". I wondered if the being might have interpreted the Doctor's words a bit too literally and not simply "listened" but "drained" those memories. We could have ended up with a Doctor almost as clueless about his past as we, the audience" have been these nearly 50 years.
Yup, I definitely thought that was going to happen and I was ready to be all pissed off.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila

Last edited by Emh; April 8 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 11:14 PM   #215
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Wow another avg episode, verging on below avg. Started off ok, I liked the alien "gathering place", but it fell apart from there on. WHY are there so many aliens into this silly religion? How many of the 7 planets were inhabited? WHY would aliens from outside the system be interested in the silly religion? WHY could they all breathe in outer space (did I miss that?)? WHY would singing have anything to do with alien sun soul stealers? I think that probably scratches the surface issues. Some of the FX were breathtaking, some were barely better than the original Who.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

Last edited by RAMA; April 9 2013 at 01:27 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:02 AM   #216
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
^



It would have made for an interesting way for a regeneration process to start.

Doctor- TAKE IT ALL!

*Parasite takes his life energy too*

Doctor- Wait! What are you doing?!


We end up with a new doctor with missing memories since the parasite stole them. Cue the regeneration crazy's
Wold have been a terrible episode for Smith to come out in.

Would have been the worst regeneration episode ever.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:15 AM   #217
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

RAMA wrote: View Post
Wow another avg episode, verging on below avg. Started off ok, I liked the alien "gathering place", but it fell apart from there on. WHY are there so many aliens into this silly religion? How many of the 7 planets were inhabited? WHY would aliens from outside the system be interested in the silly religion? WHY could they all breathe in outer space (did I miss this that?)? WHY would singing have anything to do with alien sun soul stealers? I think that probably scratches the surface issues. Some of the FX were breathtaking, some were barely better than the original Who.
The Singing would be transferring the Soul/Memory/Currency stuff. Passion, emotion, etc makes up your soul or the currency version of it, I guess.

I thought someone said in an interview or writeup there was an atmosphere in the rings, it struck me immediately when Clara and the Doctor stepped out of the TARDIS, but, they were consistent with it, so, I figured we're supposed to assume it's dealt with

If the Aliens at the bazaar are locals, perhaps it's merely a local thing in that part of the Galaxy
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:36 AM   #218
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I thought someone said in an interview or writeup there was an atmosphere in the rings, it struck me immediately when Clara and the Doctor stepped out of the TARDIS, but, they were consistent with it, so, I figured we're supposed to assume it's dealt with
Maybe but initially I figured that was the TARDIS doing it's thing a la Amy and Brian hanging outside in space.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:47 AM   #219
Shawnster
Fleet Captain
 
Shawnster's Avatar
 
Location: Clinton, OH
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

I missed the Susan reference. What was it and when in the episode?
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:48 AM   #220
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I thought someone said in an interview or writeup there was an atmosphere in the rings, it struck me immediately when Clara and the Doctor stepped out of the TARDIS, but, they were consistent with it, so, I figured we're supposed to assume it's dealt with
Maybe but initially I figured that was the TARDIS doing it's thing a la Amy and Brian hanging outside in space.
Oh, yea, that was my initial rationalization, until it was consistent throughout the episode that there was no "Non-Oxygenated Space" around, apparently
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:49 AM   #221
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Shawnster wrote: View Post
I missed the Susan reference. What was it and when in the episode?
Shortly after they arrived the Doctor mentioned he was there before with his granddaughter...Right before he takes off and Clara bumps into the little girl for the first time.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:19 AM   #222
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Been thinking things over, got a nitpick. Clara's age. Last week, it's implied she's 24 (the most recent age printed in her book). This week it's implied she was 11 when her mother died (most recent age when standing in the cemetery).

So now we got a problem, when is Clara supposed to be from? Since her mother died in 2005, and assuming Clara is meant to be from 2013, that would mean she should have been 16 in 2005. Interestingly enough, 16 is one of the ages (along with 23) that have been skipped over in her book (which some are specualting could be significant). On the other hand, if she were indeed 11 in 2005, than in order to be 24 she would be from 2018 which is consistent with all the leapfrogging through the modern years done throughout the first half of the season. Indeed, by time of their departure, Amy and Rory should have been from 2016 or so, even though that episode has 2012 spoken many times.

Thoughts?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:24 AM   #223
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Well, Amy and Rory may have been in New York in 2012. That doesn't mean they left home in 2012. As of "The Power of Three," Amy said that she and Rory had been traveling with the Doctor for 10 years. But what is her reference point? In "The Eleventh Hour," wasn't there a two-year gap at the very end between the events with Prisoner Zero and the Doctor meeting up with Amy again? When does her "10 years with the Doctor" officially start?

I'm just going to assume that Clara is from the not-so-distant future and not worry too much about the dates.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:28 AM   #224
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

The ten years in the TARDIS thing was a matter of perspective. From Amy's persepctive, she's been travelling with the Doctor for ten years, even though from an outside perspective, it's only been six years.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:30 AM   #225
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The ten years in the TARDIS thing was a matter of perspective. From Amy's persepctive, she's been travelling with the Doctor for ten years, even though from an outside perspective, it's only been six years.
Perhaps, but when does it start? Does it start with Prisoner Zero? Does it start two years later when she actually starts traveling with him?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.