Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old April 10 2013, 02:27 PM   #1
starsailorjane
Ensign

Censorship and War

Since after the Vietnam War, the main stream media has shied away from showing graphic images of war. A lot of this has moved to the internet, where the option to view is available. However, most people tend to avoid this and they do not get exposed to the graphic images that those during the Vietnam era were exposed to. Even some of the so called liberal message boards ban graphic images of this kind.

Is this a positive?

I think so. I ultimately think war should be viewed from as aseptic a point of view as possible. Soldiers are ultimately pawns in the global chessboard of geopolitics. Sometimes the widespread deaths of soldiers is necessary for the greater good. The more suffering and death that can be desensitized with the general public, the the more a leader can maintain public support for a bloody war. The more abstract these concepts become to the general public, the better it is for national security and the human psyche. Otherwise, you increase the likelihood of public discontent with the war, like what happened with Vietnam. We could've still won that war.

Last edited by starsailorjane; April 10 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old April 10 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Censorship and War

Odd sub-forum for such a thread...
Old April 10 2013, 03:29 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

So you're saying Picard should've led us during the Vietnam war?
Old April 10 2013, 06:23 PM   #4
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Both LBJ and Nixon watched "A Private Little War" and quietly nodded their heads.

Old April 10 2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Odd sub-forum for such a thread...
Not to mention that it makes a pretty bizarre thread on itself...
Old April 10 2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Rhaven
Captain

starsailorjane wrote: View Post
Since after the Vietnam War, the main stream media has shied away from showing graphic images of war. A lot of this has moved to the internet, where the option to view is available. However, most people tend to avoid this and they do not get exposed to the graphic images that those during the Vietnam era were exposed to. Even some of the so called liberal message boards ban graphic images of this kind.

Is this a positive?

I think so. I ultimately think war should be viewed from as aseptic a point of view as possible. Soldiers are ultimately pawns in the global chessboard of geopolitics. Sometimes the widespread deaths of soldiers is necessary for the greater good. The more suffering and death that can be desensitized with the general public, the the more a leader can maintain public support for a bloody war. The more abstract these concepts become to the general public, the better it is for national security and the human psyche. Otherwise, you increase the likelihood of public discontent with the war, like what happened with Vietnam. We could've still won that war.
"Sometimes the widespread deaths of soldiers is necessary for the greater good"
Which side are you speaking of? Our soldiers? Theirs?
Speaking as the mother of a deployed soldier, one loss is one too many.
Old April 10 2013, 06:39 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Rhaven wrote: View Post
...one loss is one too many.
This.
Old April 10 2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Use of Time
Commodore

starsailorjane wrote: View Post

Is this a positive?

Saying phrases like "sometimes the widespread deaths of Soldiers is necessary for the greater good" and "we could have won the Vietnam War" in the same paragraph would be hilariously ironic if it weren't so God damned sad.
Old April 10 2013, 07:17 PM   #9
sonak
Vice Admiral

er, so you're saying that in the TNG era, Starfleet should censor images and reports of war?
Old April 10 2013, 07:26 PM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
er, so you're saying that in the TNG era, Starfleet should censor images and reports of war?
"What about freedom of the press?"
"Please tell me you're not that naive."
Old April 10 2013, 08:22 PM   #11
matthunter
Vice Admiral

The OP is a sockpuppet account that has been banned twice now from TNZ for starting political troll threads. I'm assuming from their level of cunning displayed thus far that they simply got the wrong subforum, along with forgetting to tie their shoelaces.
If you're frustrated with a smug, arrogant right-wing nutjob poster who never backs up their arguments and twists out of answering straight questions, try the Ignore feature! Now with raspberry filling.
Old April 10 2013, 08:24 PM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Considering the level of hateful posting as the norm in TNZ... I'm almost morbidly curious what you have to do there to get banned.
Old April 10 2013, 08:35 PM   #13
matthunter
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Considering the level of hateful posting as the norm in TNZ... I'm almost morbidly curious what you have to do there to get banned.
Be so blatantly trolling as to have posted the exact same topic, just phrased from different sides of political aisle, on multiple boards including one devoted to rape fetishism (known to us due to another poster's patronage of said site which has - quite aside from his utter lack of wit, charm or indeed evidence of basic synaptic function - earned him almost universal derision).
If you're frustrated with a smug, arrogant right-wing nutjob poster who never backs up their arguments and twists out of answering straight questions, try the Ignore feature! Now with raspberry filling.
Old April 10 2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Avon
Fleet Captain

well the OP started another Admiral Cain thread in BSG, agreeing with the last crazy thread, so i cant imagine they'll last long

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old April 10 2013, 08:39 PM   #15
Rhaven
Captain

matthunter wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Be so blatantly trolling as to have posted the exact same topic, just phrased from different sides of political aisle, on multiple boards including one devoted to rape fetishism (known to us due to another poster's patronage of said site which has - quite aside from his utter lack of wit, charm or indeed evidence of basic synaptic function - earned him almost universal derision).
Good to know. Thanks.