RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 557
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 4 2013, 01:19 AM   #1
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler
Was anybody surprised by Dukat striking a deal with the Dominion?

Did anybody like that it seemed to come out of nowhere? I mean, in retrospect, it seems like something that an opportunist like Dukat would do under the right circumstances- and the events of S4, specifically, the overthrow of the Central Command, the Klingon invasion of Cardassia, his demotion to freighter captain, his disillusionment about his government's weakness against the Klingons certainly laid the groundwork for his desire for Cardassia to join with the Dominion to make it "strong" and "proud" again- but would it have been interesting in seeing Dukat meet with the Dominion or were we better off not knowing before it actually happened? It does make you wonder how he contacted the Dominion and began his "negotiations"?
Old April 4 2013, 01:26 AM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Was anybody surprised by Dukat striking a deal with the Dominion?

It surprised me at the time. Season 4 Dukat was pretty much one of the good guys for example. Sure in hindsight he was just serving his own interests that just happened to be aligned with the good guys, but... the knife in your back is always a surprise.

It wasn't out of character at all. Dukat always was one to land on his feet, regardless if it requires walking softly or stepping on others.
Old April 4 2013, 01:34 AM   #3
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

R. Star wrote: View Post
It surprised me at the time. Season 4 Dukat was pretty much one of the good guys for example. Sure in hindsight he was just serving his own interests that just happened to be aligned with the good guys, but... the knife in your back is always a surprise.

It wasn't out of character at all. Dukat always was one to land on his feet, regardless if it requires walking softly or stepping on others.
Yeah and he was even willing to see his daughter killed along with the others when the Bashir changeling was going to blow everybody in and around DS9 to pieces. I loved Sisko's confrontation with the Dukat at the end of BIL. He had Dukat pegged correctly......
Old April 4 2013, 02:10 AM   #4
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I was surprised at the time. That was one of those big "Wow that was an awesome episode!" moments. Deep Space Nine was full of those episodes far moreso than any other Trek series.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 02:30 AM   #5
indolover
Fleet Captain

To some extent, since in the early seasons he got on (for the most part) with Sisko and even considered him a friend (though of course the feeling was never mutual). It seemed odd that in Apocalypse Rising Sisko and Dukat were at least cordial, then when Cardassia joined the Dominion they became total enemies lol...

That said, Dukat was a complex character, and perhaps the opportunity of joining the Dominion gave him the chance to express his true nature.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

I was surprised - in that I didn't see it coming, but I don't think it was at all unbelievable given everything that had happened with the Dukat character up to that point. I definitely think hiding it from the audience until the moment it was dropped on our heroes was the way to go. It stands out as one of the great "holy &%#$!" moments, in a show that - as ryan123450 alludes to - was full of such moments.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 02:39 AM   #7
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

It was the great kind of shock wherein they don't telegraph it yet it seems entirely natural and makes perfect sense when you think about it. Far too many surprise moments in episodes of television in general use them at the expense of logic, but this was definitely one of the good ones.

Last edited by RyuRoots; April 4 2013 at 03:47 AM.
RyuRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 01:46 AM   #8
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
It was the great kind of shock wherein they don't telegraph it yet it seems entirely natural and makes perfect sense when you think about it. Far too many surprise moments in episodes of television in general use them at the expense of logic, but this was definitely one of the good ones.
100% Agreed!
Old April 5 2013, 02:20 AM   #9
Melakon
Vice Admiral

It wasn't that surprising for me, as it seemed inevitable given his ego. Dukat was obsessed with power, and always wanted to be number one, though he was really a number two.

Sorry, couldn't resist plumbing for bathroom humor.
Old April 5 2013, 03:00 AM   #10
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

No.
Old April 5 2013, 03:04 AM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

It was surprising at the time because up to that point it seemed like they were making him into a protagonist.

But out of character, no. Remember this man was a conquerer who never expressed an ounce of regret about the Occupation, unless of course you count the times he was trying to glorify himself as a reformer who had to fight Central Command not to make the Occupation even worse.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 10:25 PM   #12
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

It probably would have been surprising, if I had remembered that the Founders declared Cardassia dead at the end of S4. (And if I had watched the show in order.)
Old April 7 2013, 12:45 AM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Dukat is hands down one of the best villains ever written, not only in Trek, but in televion in general.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 02:02 AM   #14
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

TheRoyalFamily wrote: View Post
It probably would have been surprising, if I had remembered that the Founders declared Cardassia dead at the end of S4. (And if I had watched the show in order.)
That really ended up being quite prophetic but not in the way that Garak expected.
Old April 7 2013, 02:06 AM   #15
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Dukat is hands down one of the best villains ever written, not only in Trek, but in televion in general.
I agree that he was a very well-written villain, at least up through "Waltz", when he seemingly went insane and the writers made him more of a one-dimensional "evil" character. He was a swarmy b*****d and a meglomaniac and a tyrant but even I occasionally broke down and enjoyed his character. He was definitely a real "love to hate" character. Marc Alaimo did a great job with him IMHO!