RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,403
Posts: 5,359,098
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 562
Newest member: space2050


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 5 2013, 01:53 AM   #91
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Tiberius wrote: View Post
sayonara maru wrote: View Post
..Engineering is only SLIGHTLY better but not by much. I hate to keep rehashing it but when you were in engineering on geordi's enterprise, you knew and felt it.
Voyager's engineering is pretty distinctive.
Yes. The Engineering set is in exactly the same place on the soundstage as Engineering in TNG, which was in exactly the same place on the soundstage as Engineering in the movies.

TNG got rid of TMP's forced perspective extension and turned it into more useful performing space, just reversing the camera angle so the warp core is at the rear of the set.

Both tv shows did cosmetic changes with walls and colors, but it's the same framework. Voyager opened the room up, removing the ceiling and adding another upper level.
__________________
Curly: Moe, Larry, the cheese! Moe, Larry, the cheese! (Horses Collars, 1935)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 04:00 AM   #92
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I love Voyager's set design. It's the best of modern Trek IMO. It's sleek, functional, and practical--the kind of things one would expect in a long-range research vessel and not, say, a luxury cruise liner.
I have no love for this series at all, but the production design was very nice; colors were well-chosen, and I'd have loved to see the ship gradually fall apart over the 7 yr run, if they'd been creative and 'daring' enough to go that route.
On the other hand I hate the -D.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 02:27 PM   #93
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

I loved the 2 levels of Voy's engineering, and the fact that they weren't shy about using both levels.

Funniest 2nd story scene.. Tom & B'Elanna making outwhen Tuvok caught them.

Most poignant... Seven and B'Elanna discussing Seven's impending death.
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 02:31 PM   #94
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

trevanian wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I love Voyager's set design. It's the best of modern Trek IMO. It's sleek, functional, and practical--the kind of things one would expect in a long-range research vessel and not, say, a luxury cruise liner.
I have no love for this series at all, but the production design was very nice; colors were well-chosen, and I'd have loved to see the ship gradually fall apart over the 7 yr run, if they'd been creative and 'daring' enough to go that route.
On the other hand I hate the -D.
Blame UPN for thinking continuity of any kind, visual or story, would be bad for second run syndication.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:02 PM   #95
sayonara maru
Lieutenant
 
Location: Davidson County
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Voyager was a total "beat the dead horse" series. It made its 7 year run on spit and duct tape...lets be honest.

The only reason it lasted was because there was enough momentum at its start. Ds9 was a resounding success so both the producers (and the fans) went into it with all hype..

Midway through its run they had to get rid of the cute pixie and replace her with the buxom blonde in order to continue the momentum.. Which was half hearted at best...

As much as I liked the Borg story arc (and it was probably Voyagers saving grace) ..Rehashing this storyline was an ABSOLUTE COP-OUT. .. You guys should read the Star Trek Destiny trilogy. A MUCH MUCH better closure to the origins of the Borg


Most everything in the "Voyager Weirdness" post has merit. Production values were poor, writing was poor. The lack of a lot of crucial details went into what one other poster called a "half arsed attempt"

Dont get me wrong.. I am a Star Trek purist too. But I also know how to look at art objectively whether or not I agree with it. Thats why Im going back through Voyager again.

(I've always believed that if Star Trek Enterprise directly followed DS9, it would have faired MUCH better than Voyager. Enterprise was focused on Star Trek mythos instead of trying to throw down a completely new adventure from scratch)..

I may be a fanboy.. but i have a few standards..


bullethead wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I love Voyager's set design. It's the best of modern Trek IMO. It's sleek, functional, and practical--the kind of things one would expect in a long-range research vessel and not, say, a luxury cruise liner.
I have no love for this series at all, but the production design was very nice; colors were well-chosen, and I'd have loved to see the ship gradually fall apart over the 7 yr run, if they'd been creative and 'daring' enough to go that route.
On the other hand I hate the -D.
Blame UPN for thinking continuity of any kind, visual or story, would be bad for second run syndication.
sayonara maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:06 PM   #96
Brit
Captain
 
Brit's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

sayonara maru wrote: View Post
As much as I liked the Borg story arc (and it was probably Voyagers saving grace) ..Rehashing this storyline was an ABSOLUTE COP-OUT. .. You guys should read the Star Trek Destiny trilogy. A MUCH MUCH better closure to the origins of the Borg
Only if you can get past the two huge plot holes. Or the third plot hole that involves that origin.
__________________
"My name is Matai Shang and I do not exist, indeed I work very hard at it."

Avatar by Me
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:08 PM   #97
sayonara maru
Lieutenant
 
Location: Davidson County
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Well for crying out loud.. if you want to split hairs, majority of star trek has plot holes... That isnt the point...

Brit wrote: View Post
sayonara maru wrote: View Post
As much as I liked the Borg story arc (and it was probably Voyagers saving grace) ..Rehashing this storyline was an ABSOLUTE COP-OUT. .. You guys should read the Star Trek Destiny trilogy. A MUCH MUCH better closure to the origins of the Borg
Only if you can get past the two huge plot holes. Or the third plot hole that involves that origin.
sayonara maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:16 PM   #98
Brit
Captain
 
Brit's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

No the point was you said it was a good set of books, I read them all and I disagree give the discontinuity and obvious ignorance about the Borg. (Not to mention Mack's inability to write a believable pregnancy situation). Which is the same argument you are using against Voyager.

So pot, are you enjoying calling the kettle black.
__________________
"My name is Matai Shang and I do not exist, indeed I work very hard at it."

Avatar by Me
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 03:50 PM   #99
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Here's an alternative to BOTH "Endgame" & "Destiny's Trilogy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjbIUHBz1LY

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjbIUHBz1LY[/yt}

I just don't get the knocks about "production values".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wUJCwXeW6c

I love them... from engineering to astrometrics to the space battles to the 1001 different Janeway hairstyles.



Well, except the bald one, I could have lived without seeing her bald!
__________________
"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!" Charlotte Bronte
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:14 PM   #100
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

What are the three alleged plot holes?
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:18 PM   #101
The Librarian
Commodore
 
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

I think Voyager's engineering was my favorite out of all of them, it felt much more like a practical workspace with all the consoles along the sides for people to actually do stuff at, the open design of the core area, and the two-level set. I also love the core itself - maybe it doesn't make quite as much sense as the TNG design, but the it definitely conveys that there's some kind of intense energy swirling around in there, and the way it could both vary the intensity of the glow and the swirls, including a 'dead' state, made it much more effective at conveying the 'mood' of what was happening.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:21 PM   #102
sayonara maru
Lieutenant
 
Location: Davidson County
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

You had me until you went down the "Macks Inability" yarn. David is arguably the most prominent catalyst for making the star trek extended universe a success (along with Peter David and John Vornholt)..

So i gotta say any negative context against them does show your narrow mindedness.

You're free to disagree with the Destiny story arc but you can by no means consider it a superior story arc to the one portrayed in voyager... (or any of voyagers story lines for that matter).. Just cant do it matey..Its nature vs nurture... and David's very well nurtured..


Brit wrote: View Post
No the point was you said it was a good set of books, I read them all and I disagree give the discontinuity and obvious ignorance about the Borg. (Not to mention Mack's inability to write a believable pregnancy situation). Which is the same argument you are using against Voyager.

So pot, are you enjoying calling the kettle black.
sayonara maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:28 PM   #103
sayonara maru
Lieutenant
 
Location: Davidson County
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Good point about the warp core' effect used in voyager! I never really thought about it to be honest. But i gotta say the layout of engineering on voyager while it may be practical... it was just BLAND and not memorable.

TNG had the center console where we've seen geordi, sonya gomez and even picard and riker working over it. It adds to the decor. .. Same with Geordi's office and the small cutaway area (with the console that faced the warp core.. and also where Geordi constructed the ship he gave to captain zimbata.)

(TNG had a split level engineering as well but to your point, the second level was rarely used and not remembered for anything other than worf flinging a rogue klingon to his doom. )

Between the lighting and the contiguous non-descript layout of Voyager engineering, i just cant say I felt "at home" there. It was functional...served its purpose.. but thats about it. Same with Janeways ready room, the conference rooms and the mess hall.. I think a lot of the sets were recycled from the Defiant in fact..



The Librarian wrote: View Post
I think Voyager's engineering was my favorite out of all of them, it felt much more like a practical workspace with all the consoles along the sides for people to actually do stuff at, the open design of the core area, and the two-level set. I also love the core itself - maybe it doesn't make quite as much sense as the TNG design, but the it definitely conveys that there's some kind of intense energy swirling around in there, and the way it could both vary the intensity of the glow and the swirls, including a 'dead' state, made it much more effective at conveying the 'mood' of what was happening.
sayonara maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:40 PM   #104
lennier1
Commodore
 
lennier1's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

The TMP-like energy flux inside the core seemed nice, but it kinda felt like a step back into the days before TNG.
In the end, that's kinda funny from an in-universe standpoint, because Voyager's cutting edge technology was supposed to be more advanced than the older Galaxy class. Caretaker is set 7 years after Farpoint (2364 vs. 2371), which means the Intrepid class was at best a twinkle in some engineer's eyes when the 1701-D went on her first mission.
__________________
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:06 PM   #105
sayonara maru
Lieutenant
 
Location: Davidson County
Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

My point EXACTLY my friend. I dig the warp core effect but overall voyager (while meant to be a more streamlined vessel) fails in its impression of advanced star ship design.

-The neuro circuitry, in example, while a neat idea, still didnt have the same cool factor as watching data or o'brien playing around with 30 isolinear rods.

-The press and flip tactical console chakotay used looked like the cheap center console in my nissan. The swivel one Riker used was WAY more impressive

- No Stellar Cartography lab.. (vis a vis, Star Trek Generations which I believe came out long before Voyager started) .. Not having one on a space exploration vessel is asinine...."You left spacedock without a tractor beam?!?!"... you know they were going "Doh" when they got flung into the delta quadrant

- Kes's hydroponics bay. Think back to when keiko o'brien was running the arboreatum back on the enterprise.. it was MAJESTIC.. Kes' bay looked like a 9th grade home-ec classroom

(Stuff like the newer transporter effect and the concept of the doctor however is really cool. I do wish they went into more detail of the doctors sentience tho.. I always felt it was disrespectful to the concept of Data by making the AI doctor seem to just "wake up sentient" as opposed to the actual development and life experiences that Data had to go through to get to that point..)

Like I mentioned in another post, voyager was plagued from jumpstreet and it was compounded by the persistant corner cutting.

lennier1 wrote: View Post
The TMP-like energy flux inside the core seemed nice, but it kinda felt like a step back into the days before TNG.
In the end, that's kinda funny from an in-universe standpoint, because Voyager's cutting edge technology was supposed to be more advanced than the older Galaxy class. Caretaker is set 7 years after Farpoint (2364 vs. 2371), which means the Intrepid class was at best a twinkle in some engineer's eyes when the 1701-D went on her first mission.
sayonara maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.