Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 4 2013, 10:09 AM   #31
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Lets say it took 2 or 3 years to take the Intrepid Class from blue print to first launch... And they seating, placing the Captain and the First officer on an even standing is because of Robert Maxwell's coup.

but here's the problem.

In theory this means that a rational First officer will feel the gravitas to stand up his or her Captain because they are not on a fricking pedestal, yet in practice that just means that a psycho like Max Burke can talk a relatively decent bloke into becoming a mass murderer because his first officers seat doesn't look like it belongs to a 7 year old.

Hells.

On Kirk's Enterprise the XO didn't even get his or her own chair, the job just fell to next highest ranked officer who actually already had a full time job to get sorted as well, and how was the Chief Engineer supposed to do his job in engineering if his "hobby" forced him into a bridge posting that's only job is to hold the Captains hand and say "Shields Up!"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 11:08 AM   #32
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

sayonara maru wrote: View Post
Something that really bothered me about Voyager is how EXTREMELY CHEAP the interior of the ship looked. The enterprise D was very elegant. The bridge was distinct and all the primary stations were recognizable. The defiant was also very detailed and well designed.

BUT ON VOYAGER:

..Everything seems to be made of this icky fisher price looking gray plastic

..The helmsmen sits in an office depot desk chair

..The captains chair isnt even iconic like it is on the Enterprise A, B, C, D and E... or the Defiant.. That bothered the shit out of me.

..There seem to be at least 4 different "conference" rooms. They are so drab and spartan you dont care if they are deciding the fate of the galaxy or planning a tea party

..No Ten Forward or Bar.. instead the crew spend all their time in a holodeck???

..Engineering is only SLIGHTLY better but not by much. I hate to keep rehashing it but when you were in engineering on geordi's enterprise, you knew and felt it.

..Having the nacelles go into "flight mode" everytime you go to warp is ridiculous. How long does it take to angle the pylons 45 degrees before you engage? Just long enough for someone to take out the warp drive? (which seems to happen constantly)

I dont know why production values on voyager were so thrift shop but I think its one of the major reasons this iteration of star trek faired so poorly. Ive also seen some of the other posters comments about the characters and story writing and have to agree with many of them.
You really think TNG sets look better than Voyager's? You must love 80's hotels. TNG looks dated and pretty bad, especially the bridge. The Voyager sets could still pass for a show made today.

Although yes, the moving warp nacelles were pointless and goofy (and I believe added so the toys would have a cool moving feature) and externally, Voyager was no looker. This early prototype looked far better, IMO:
Old April 4 2013, 11:59 AM   #33
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

TNG through 80s eyes looked like a luxury 80s hotel.

Voyager through 90s eyes looked spartan...

Wow.

I just repeated the OP.

'Must be the truth then.

Old April 4 2013, 12:17 PM   #34
Melakon
Vice Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
This early prototype looked far better, IMO:
I first saw that model in Stephen Poe's book, and wished they had used it instead. I think it was Sternbach's original concept before Berman started fiddling with it and wanting changes.
Old April 4 2013, 12:25 PM   #35
sayonara maru
Lieutenant

I will partially agree with you. I can understand your point from a "Star Trek" / storyline reasoning. My point is more in the context of the viewer.

From the viewer's perspective, Voyager looks very very bland and cheap. Minimalist it may be but i dont remember data or geordi's consoles ever exploding in their faces..(God .. can you imagine the trauma poor wesley might have suffered if it happend to him?)

Tuvoks station and Harry's station are practically identical just on opposite ends of the bridge. The bridge also looks so... cramped.

And as soon as the inertial dampeners fail (which usually happend as soon as the warp drive stopped responding) poor tommy ends up ROLLING in any which direction because some slobbering idiot forgot to bolt his chair to the floor! He's the pilot!!! AUUURGH!!

Your comment about the comparison to yesterdays enterprise sort of proves my point. It was YESTERDAYS enterprise. As advanced as voyager is supposed to be with its living circuitry and whatnot, it still looks like it was built at the Sanford and Son shipyards... YESTERDAY

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So many new cadets in the recent week.

They're probably different people.

Picard's Enterprise was built in a time of peace.

Compare it to the Enterprise from Yesterdays Enterprise built after 15 years at war with the Klingons.

Same outer dimensions. More fire-power, 9 thousand soldiers.

Voyager was Built during a time of war.

The Brg were always coming and every one knew the Cardassians were on the verge of doing something stupid.

When did they start building the intrepid class? When did they lay the keel for Voyager? How different would the same ship be if it was built during a time of peace and a time of war?
sayonara maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 12:27 PM   #36
sayonara maru
Lieutenant

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Quite a bit (if not most) of the look of the Voyager was determined by the show's producers. During its design, the ship went from being something of a rugged "super runabout" to a mini Galaxy-class ship.
If i am not mistaken, The defiant class was the one built to be a mini Galaxy class ship. And the defiant was in a word... "dope"
Old April 4 2013, 12:28 PM   #37
sayonara maru
Lieutenant

DonIago wrote: View Post
This logic seems similar to suggesting that Picard was almost always on duty because we almost always saw him on the bridge.
The captain technically is always on duty. I read somewhere that the captain therefore doesn't have a full duty shift like other officers.
Old April 4 2013, 12:30 PM   #38
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I have only ever seen one other person ever on this board do that ever.

EVER.

Put the Quote AFTER the text block talking about the Quote.

Just once.

Last week.

Old April 4 2013, 12:31 PM   #39
sayonara maru
Lieutenant

Takeru wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
I didn't like the switch to a single pilot position, but i know it was just to save money from hiring somebody with no lines to play navigator.
But that was already done on TNG, it has nothing to do with Voyager specifically.
Tom is the navigator. If you recall, data was the ships operations officer (that was what his station was devoted to. A position which worf held briefly)

They just moved the operations position to the rear of the bridge.
Old April 4 2013, 12:32 PM   #40
sayonara maru
Lieutenant

It means that Paris, or whichever of his minions is at the helm, was doing the job of two people.
Mentioned this already but no, tom was just doing the same job that wesley/geordi and ensign ro performed. The second position that data held was the operations console. I also believe this was the position that ensign Chekov held on the Enterprise A
Old April 4 2013, 12:33 PM   #41
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Harry was at the rear of Voyagers bridge?

Old April 4 2013, 12:39 PM   #42
sayonara maru
Lieutenant

NCC-1701-B wrote: View Post
Well we've seen that starships seem to be pretty modular, and I bet under the floor there are plenty of plug sockets for consoles. So if a starship needs to be upgraded, they could easily bring in the new console and plug it in.

Or hire an extra betazoid so we have 2 people stating the obvious every time we meet someone!
You know that isnt a bad idea. I would have liked to see major changes to the ship that had to do with their being trapped in the delta quadrant and wanting to make the ship more liveable..

Hell, Chakotay went to town when he and Janeway were trapped on "New Earth" with that disease sillyness..

OMG, that Chakotay was such a pimp.. building headboards for Janie's bed because she liked to "sit up in bed".. I noticed the very well placed grip handles...I gotta use that line next time i get a girl over..

Anyone notice how Adam and Eve that episode was?
Old April 4 2013, 12:39 PM   #43
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

sayonara maru wrote: View Post
From the viewer's perspective, Voyager looks very very bland and cheap. Minimalist it may be but i dont remember data or geordi's consoles ever exploding in their faces..(God .. can you imagine the trauma poor wesley might have suffered if it happend to him?)
Wesley's console exploded in "Disaster" - he wasn't in it at the time. Some hapless nobody died.

For better or worse, exploding control panels were established in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. It wasn't until Voyager that it became practical to do repeatedly on a TV budget.
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Quite a bit (if not most) of the look of the Voyager was determined by the show's producers. During its design, the ship went from being something of a rugged "super runabout" to a mini Galaxy-class ship.
If i am not mistaken, The defiant class was the one built to be a mini Galaxy class ship. And the defiant was in a word... "dope"
Voyager was the mini Galaxy class, with all the creature comforts (holodecks, replicators etc). Defiant was a stripped-down warship, the complete opposite of the Galaxy-class.
Old April 4 2013, 12:41 PM   #44
sayonara maru
Lieutenant

R. Star wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post

It's because our Captain is so humble, she doesn't need an iconic chair.
Pft, if you notice, Janeway will take -every- opportunity to stand at a higher elevation than the person she's talking with.
Amen to that. And she always had this Don King like swagger whenever she gave an order... Or maybe its just the hairdo..
Old April 4 2013, 12:44 PM   #45
sayonara maru
Lieutenant

Lets say it took 2 or 3 years to take the Intrepid Class from blue print to first launch... And they seating, placing the Captain and the First officer on an even standing is because of Robert Maxwell's coup.

but here's the problem.

In theory this means that a rational First officer will feel the gravitas to stand up his or her Captain because they are not on a fricking pedestal, yet in practice that just means that a psycho like Max Burke can talk a relatively decent bloke into becoming a mass murderer because his first officers seat doesn't look like it belongs to a 7 year old.

Hells.

On Kirk's Enterprise the XO didn't even get his or her own chair, the job just fell to next highest ranked officer who actually already had a full time job to get sorted as well, and how was the Chief Engineer supposed to do his job in engineering if his "hobby" forced him into a bridge posting that's only job is to hold the Captains hand and say "Shields Up!"
I dont think the XO position was really that defined during Kirks era. From what I remember, Kirk often did a lot of the crew disciplining himself.. regulations didnt mean a whole lot back then and he was more in touch with the crew...

[waits for the obvious, yeoman blake/rand remark]