Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 7 2013, 07:29 PM   #136
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

well you've made guy gardner look sane and coherent, so probably

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 07:39 PM   #137
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

The pregnancy was definitely the weakest part of the storyline, and I'll admit I find Troi's decisions inexplicable...but I'm so far removed from that type of scenario (among other things, I'm a guy), that I tried (not entirely successfully) to give it the benefit of the doubt. To be fair, it wasn't the first time we'd seen Troi act a bit crazy.

As for Ree biting her, I just thought that was amusing and, under the circumstances, rather sensible once we were given an explanation.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 09:03 PM   #138
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Brit wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
I'd totally forgotten about the Caeliar's refusal to use time travel. It's been years since I read it, my apologies. And I don't remember much about Troi's pregnancy, other than it being my least favourite part of the trilogy.

But Picard breaking down at the end? I can buy that. The Borg had hung over him like a spectre for 15 or so years, and he'd been forced to face them in several situations just prior to Destiny, and confront his own past with them directly in Resistance. Plus, he felt the tendrils of the Caeliar gestalt as they dissolved the last of his implants, which seemed to have a similar mushy effect on Seven. I found the scene quite profound.
See and I didn't care much for what happened to Seven either. Thanks for discussing this with me, I truly appreciate it. I kind of got into Destiny because being a Janeway fan fic writer, I wanted to build a plausible Janeway returns and have it fit into the parameters established by Trek Lit. I got about half way through and then early last May a Ford R150 pickup truck not only failed to see a red light, she also failed to see my orange car. I got broadsided by a pickup doing over 40 MPH.

I spent the rest of May in the hospital, with broken bones, a collapsed lung, and a dislocated elbow. My muse took a hike. In August Pocket Books published Kirsten Beyer's The Eternal Tide with Janeway's return, so the urgency to "fix" Janeway's fate was no longer a problem.
I'm glad you made it through all that! I can't imagine how unpleasent it must have been.
Now I hope to finish the story, but as often happens when one has experienced near death, goals change and I find myself thinking more about original characters and original situations.

Discussions like this help to clarify thought and like I said I do appreciate it and your opinion.
If you do finish it, I'd be interested to read it. Alternate versions and interpretations of events can be fascinating reads.

If I've been of help, I'm glad
Now if I could find some place that would discuss extra dimensions, and jump gates with me, I would be in heaven.
That sounds a bit Babylon 5-ish to me. We have quite a few B5 fans here, in the Science Fiction & Fantasy subforum.
Old April 7 2013, 10:17 PM   #139
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

DonIago wrote: View Post
The pregnancy was definitely the weakest part of the storyline, and I'll admit I find Troi's decisions inexplicable...but I'm so far removed from that type of scenario (among other things, I'm a guy), that I tried (not entirely successfully) to give it the benefit of the doubt. To be fair, it wasn't the first time we'd seen Troi act a bit crazy.
Treklit needs to just sterilize everybody and stop inflicting their horrible soap opera pregnancies on readers. Awful stuff.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 03:21 AM   #140
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I thought Torres's pregnancy was handled reasonably well, at least during the series.
Old April 8 2013, 03:47 AM   #141
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What about the episode when she decided to mutilate the kid?

Did they harvest how much genetic material from the baby to cure those klingons?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 03:47 AM   #142
teacake
Admiral

Yes it was lovely.

If she'd been pregnant in Treklit the angst over how her baby would look would have lasted one and half books and she and Tom would have been tragically separated by hurt feelings and miscommunication. And it looks like they will get the chance to rival Troi in the my-baby-makes-me-a-drama-queen stakes in coming books!

I really didn't like this part of Relaunch. In case you didn't notice.

If Janeway has a baby I will DIE.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 8 2013, 03:55 AM   #143
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

When Dean came back form hell in supernatural with a new body the Angels made for him... "I'm a damn virgin again, and I have got to do something about that as quickly as possible!"

Did Janeway come back from the dead with factory specifications?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; April 8 2013 at 04:16 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 04:06 AM   #144
teacake
Admiral

She came back fully clothed which was the very specific choice of Q who felt she would be more comfortable that way rather than having all her molecules reassemble from the cosmos into fine fine nakedness. Idiot.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 8 2013, 01:12 PM   #145
Brit
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
Yes it was lovely.

If she'd been pregnant in Treklit the angst over how her baby would look would have lasted one and half books and she and Tom would have been tragically separated by hurt feelings and miscommunication. And it looks like they will get the chance to rival Troi in the my-baby-makes-me-a-drama-queen stakes in coming books!

I really didn't like this part of Relaunch. In case you didn't notice.

If Janeway has a baby I will DIE.
Within the Janeway/Chakotay fandom there are two groups, those that hate the idea of offspring (generally called baby fic), and those that want offspring. Usually the former group consists of the older more experienced fans, but this is only in general because many older fans love baby fic. My self included "if it is done right."

What I do know is that given my experience (one child), and after reading what Trek Lit has produced in the past, I have to agree with Teacake here. I also hope that they refrain from having Janeway produce a baby. Trek Lit has many strengths, producing readable baby fic is not one of them.

I do have to note the passing into limbo (meaning it's available on the Wayback Machine), of one of J/C's greats when it came to producing baby fic. Although she and her partner only wrote baby fic as the precursor to what they were really good at, Voyager full of Teenagers. They produced four different scenarios calling them "Alternate Universes." Then as a crowning fic, they got those four alternate universes together.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 01:21 PM   #146
teacake
Admiral

As I said in one of the Eternal Tide threads in the Treklit forum I love babies. But babies are boring to read about. Treklit babies are both boring and deeply embarrassing to read about. I really do want Janeway to do whatever she wants to, and if she wants to have a child I will be happy for her but I just don't trust "them". Just like no one ever had a pregnancy without there being a crisis involved on soap operas I can't see them just letting this epic character have a few backpains now and then while Chak brings her a heat pack and rubs her feet. No, there would be drama, huge stupid ass drama and Chak would probably have another emo breakdown just for the heck of it. The baby would have super Q powers or be someone's messiah just when we got rid of the last messiah story line or be abducted so that both Chak and Janeway can have breakdowns. And ON AND ON..

I would rather they went back and got the lizards.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 8 2013, 06:39 PM   #147
DonIago
Rear Admiral

As far as I know Picard and Crusher's child experience has been pretty uneventful thus far?
Old April 8 2013, 10:47 PM   #148
teacake
Admiral

No, the pregnancy was full of angst. Awful page skipping angst from two people far too old for it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 8 2013, 11:13 PM   #149
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Too old for babies, or for angst?
Old April 8 2013, 11:16 PM   #150
teacake
Admiral

Angst!

It's Star Trek, you can have babies into your 50's I believe. Well, the women.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne