IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 3 2013, 08:19 PM   #31
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Re: New Possible Spoiler for Harrison and One Other Possible Big Spoil

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I'm sure that's totally wrong, but that's what I'm going for storywise for now.
No offense, but this sounds incredibly fan-wanky. While I agree that it's possible Marcus (and maybe April, if he actually has anything to do with this film) found the Botany Bay, I sincerely doubt Ceti Alpha will appear in this movie... unless you accept the idea that Marcus et al. banished Khan and his followers there, and Carol Marcus just happened to choose that planet to test a weapon, etc..., at which point movie goers will say "If they wanted to do STII, why not just show us the original??"
Unless the choice of planet for the test wasn't random, and her father specifically sent her there to unknowingly (on her part) deal with the potential threat of Khan and his followers.

The Ceti Alpha thing isn't really important to the overall idea, it was just a vibe I got from that shot in the trailer of Harrison looking over the desolate planet as he talks about the Starfleet leadership's crimes (at least, I think that was the sequence of events). Any planet would do the trick, though.
Old April 3 2013, 08:31 PM   #32
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I thought that desolate area was on Kronos. At least that's how it's captioned over at Trekmovie.com's shot-by-shot description of the trailer. Of course, they're probably guessing, too. The link is below, just scroll down to the picture in question.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/03/21/shot...ional-trailer/

I certainly hope Admiral Marcus isn't involved in this in some way as a bad guy. We've seen too many "bad officers" in Trek. Of course, he could be the person or one of the persons responsible for the "crime" Harrison says was committed (or course, the "crime" is probably a gray issue, too).
Old April 3 2013, 08:53 PM   #33
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Franklin wrote: View Post
I thought that desolate area was on Kronos. At least that's how it's captioned over at Trekmovie.com's shot-by-shot description of the trailer. Of course, they're probably guessing, too. The link is below, just scroll down to the picture in question.

http://trekmovie.com/2013/03/21/shot...ional-trailer/
Hmmm. I hadn't seen that shot-by-shot trailer breakdown before. That's certainly a new look for Qo'noS if they're correct. Thanks for the info.
Old April 3 2013, 09:00 PM   #34
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

I certainly hope Admiral Marcus isn't involved in this in some way as a bad guy. We've seen too many "bad officers" in Trek.
We haven't in nuTrek, which is all that really matters here.
Old April 3 2013, 09:05 PM   #35
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
I certainly hope Admiral Marcus isn't involved in this in some way as a bad guy. We've seen too many "bad officers" in Trek.
I'm hoping the brass are better behaved as a rule in this universe.
Old April 3 2013, 09:05 PM   #36
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
Meh - if I hve one criticism of Trek generally is that the Federation and its officers are always protrayed as the good guys - they are the proverbial "goodie two shoes," of the Alpha Quadrant whereas the non-human aliens are alway the bad guys.

Save section 31 and admiral what's his name in DS9 who tries to take control of earth, mostly Federaiton folks are always the one's that save the day and are always trying to do, "right," by everyone else whereas the Romulans, Caradassians, Klingons are the one's with utterly corrupt societies.

The Federation - like any large organization - like the US military would have good guys, bad guys, and middle of the ground guys.

A great historical example for the US military would be General Patton who is is widely regarded as a great general but one son of a bitch and could be downright evil at times - to even his own troops..
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 09:25 PM   #37
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ I have the opposite viewpoint, actually...that the Federation isn't good enough.

This is not intended as a criticism or slam of STID. If there are any 'evil admirals', then there's also good ones, like Pike. Which is fine. I just hope that the Federation doesn't turn into 'Section 31 writ large' or anything like that...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 09:40 PM   #38
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Whatever...not much longer now.
Old April 3 2013, 10:30 PM   #39
yenny
Captain

John Harrison might be a Khan, but not the same Khan that Kirk faces in the prime universe. If you look it up? If Khan is in front of a person name. It is a title, like high price, King, supreme general and lord of lord.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 10:32 PM   #40
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ I highly doubt that they would bother having Harrison call himself Khan unless he was THE Khan that we're all familiar with.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 10:43 PM   #41
yenny
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I highly doubt that they would bother having Harrison call himself Khan unless he was THE Khan that we're all familiar with.
Yes he probably won't call himself Khan. But he most likely or might be, one of the augments dna that the Klingons had stolen back in the mid 2150s.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 11:17 PM   #42
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

He's Khan.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 11:47 PM   #43
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
He's Khan.
Can I gloat yet??
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 01:41 AM   #44
The Wormhole
Admiral

The proper thing would have been to be upfront on the matter and reveal the true identity of the character as soon as Cumberbatch's casting was announced. This idiotic secrecy and mystery serves no purpose and ultimately won't amount to anything. Wehn future generations sit down to watch this movie, they'll know in advance who Harrison really is. Hell, as soon as advance pre-screenings begin the cat will be out of the bag and everyone will know. And even if somehow Abrams buys the secrecy of everyone there, the movie is set to be released on foreign markets before its American release. You can damn well bet Harrison's identity will be well known to every American as they walk in opening day.

So why stay silent about it now? Yeah, Abrams is a master manipulator who loves to jerk fans around and is probably laughing his ass off hearing about all the various fan theories. But from every rational and practical point of view there is no reason not to officially announce who the character really is.
Old April 4 2013, 01:50 AM   #45
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
This idiotic secrecy and mystery serves no purpose and ultimately won't amount to anything.

It's not amounting to anything other than making the opening weekend.

They've gotten more free press in the last year out of this mystery than any other thing they could have done. It's the opposite of idiotic.

From every rational and practical point of view there is no reason to officially announce who the character really is.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; April 4 2013 at 02:03 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote