RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 435
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 5 2013, 06:46 AM   #16
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: VOY The Second Time Around

It was a big mistake putting those two episodes back to back. I actually liked the present-to-past lighting trick. It didn't require expensive effects, just make sure everyone hits their cues for lighting and crowd extras. I found myself wondering how many takes it took to go smoothly. I love simple technical stuff like that.
Old April 6 2013, 01:02 AM   #17
dub
Fleet Captain

"Phage"
Season 1, Episode 5

"Any sign of Neelix's lungs?" Now there's a sentence you don't hear everyday. That's right, folks, we're on a mission to find Neelix's missing lungs. As the episode begins, Janeway is having a discussion with her "Number One" when she says to him, "Are you sure you won't join me for breakfast [in my private dining room]?" Come on, Chakotay, ask yourself WWTD (What Would Tom Do), then SAY YES!

Ah well. I guess it doesn't really matter because Neelix, now a chef, has apparently turned Janeway's GIGANTIC private dining room into a galley.

This is a much better place for his character than to have him constantly popping up on the bridge as if he was--

--oh. Hehe...nevermind. So what -- Neelix is allowed to go on away missions now because he read "Tricorders for Dummies?"

I guess I shouldn't say that since Neelix can easily define a Type 4 Quantum Singularity at the drop of a hat as we learned a couple of episodes ago. He's a brilliant buzzard. So anyway, he goes down with the away team to find some dilithium.

(oops...boom mic in the shot).

And then he's zapped by an unknown alien. When he's returned to the Voyager, we learn that these aliens have somehow removed his lungs in a split second. So Voyager goes off to hunt down the aliens. Meanwhile, the doctor cooks up this plan to put some holographic lungs in Neelix and at least keep him alive until they get his actual lungs back. By the way, we get some more great moments from the doctor in this episode. In an obvious nod to Bones, we get this quote from the EMH: "I'm a doctor, Mr. Neelix, not a decorator." Loved it! And then in a surprise moment, he slaps Tom, which is now easily my favorite moment of season 1 so far!

Oh, and while we're talking about the doctor...what is the purpose of the water bubble wall? I always thought it looked cool, but in this shot the doctor is using it as some sort of monitor...although I can't think what he could possibly be looking at. Anybody have the answer to that one?

And it looks like Neelix is showing some signs of jealousy. A lot of clean cut guys are on this ship that look a lot more like Kes than Neelix does. I can understand his concern and I can relate. "I'll be on the bridge if you need me -- If you need me." Those were good scenes for Neelix, Kes, the doctor and Tom.

So Voyager follows the alien ship into a manmade asteroid which has a cave that's basically a giant funhouse. They end up finding the ship and capturing the hideous aliens who suggest a lung transplant for Neelix. After scanning the doctor, one of the aliens says, "According to this, you're not here," to which the doctor quips, "Believe me, I wish I wasn't." Ha! So they end up transplanting one of Kes' lungs into Neelix. There you go, Neelix. She loves you. A nice way to cap off this episode.

I make fun of it here, but believe it or not I quite enjoyed this episode! There were some great one-liners. And the interaction between the characters was pretty good. I like that they're putting Neelix in the galley and Kes as an assistant for the doctor. It gives them a place on the ship that actually makes sense instead of having them awkwardly and randomly showing up in a staff meeting. Kes' pep talk to the doc was good. And the doctor showed some ingenuity by coming up with the idea for holographic lungs. Pretty good for a hologram! They could have made the organ harvesting more dramatic, but since these Vidians ended up having a bit of a conscience (or so it appears) I guess the writers didn't want to go over-the-top with it.

So, I'll give this episode three thumbs up and two Phaged-up Vidians (believe it or not, they're smiling, too).

dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:15 AM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I would've found the Doctor's point more valid when Paris tried slapping him about him able to be non-substantive if he didn't physically touch a panel to bring himself back to normal after that.

Also Voyager probably went on the top of their harvesting priority list when those two found out all they have to worry about is a harsh lecture on why it's bad to steal people organ's from these people. Even the look on their face is incredulous about how dumb that is.
Old April 6 2013, 03:26 AM   #19
Melakon
Vice Admiral

If you liked "Any sign of Neelix's lungs?" you'll love Learning Curve's "Get the cheese to sickbay."
Old April 6 2013, 03:49 AM   #20
dub
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
If you liked "Any sign of Neelix's lungs?" you'll love Learning Curve's "Get the cheese to sickbay."
Oh boy...did someone cut the cheese and cause a fracture in time?
Old April 6 2013, 04:03 AM   #21
Melakon
Vice Admiral

You'll probably hit it next week, I think it's about 12 episodes away.
Old April 6 2013, 04:46 AM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The cheese line is from the finale of season 1, Learning Curve. I have a lot to say about that one.... but for the sake of spoilers, I'll refrain until you get there.
Old April 6 2013, 06:59 AM   #23
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Maybe I should have Spoilerized that line.
Old April 6 2013, 09:35 AM   #24
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

It has more impact if you haven't heard it before, yeah.

But don't mind me, I'm either shrieking about spoilers when people hiccup or stupidly posting them myself.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 01:48 PM   #25
dub
Fleet Captain

No worries here. Though I'm sure I made a bigger blunder by starting a review thread while someone else had one going...I hadn't spent much time in the VOY forum and didn't notice NightJim's thread until yesterday. I'm sure that must be some sort of netiquette no-no on my part.
Old April 6 2013, 09:21 PM   #26
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I don't think it's a big sin, each review thread offers a viewpoint from a different perspective, and possibly an observation on something rarely considered.
Old April 6 2013, 11:00 PM   #27
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Review threads are great, it causes the forum to actually focus on the topic.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote