RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 399
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old June 1 2013, 07:22 PM   #46
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Re: April 2013 challenge - Obsessions and Addictions

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Well, I couldn't get the rest of the story out...
Thus rendering the rest of your post completely irrelevant since you didn't...

"Sorry sir, but this is what I WOULD HAVE written if I'd turned up to the final exam."
Old June 1 2013, 07:48 PM   #47
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Sandoval wrote: View Post
Well, I couldn't get the rest of the story out...
Thus rendering the rest of your post completely irrelevant since you didn't...

"Sorry sir, but this is what I WOULD HAVE written if I'd turned up to the final exam."
I'm sorry. I'm still new, is that a problem? I have no intention of writing the story now.
Old June 8 2013, 10:08 PM   #48
Count Zero
Decidedly something

No, it's not a problem.
Old June 9 2013, 07:30 PM   #49
Angry Fanboy
Lieutenant Commander

Angry Fanboy

Congratulations!

Well, I couldn't get the rest of the story out. I wanted to put Sisko in danger of losing Jake and dealing with the repercussions from that. The story was that Jake was taken hostage by one of the colonists on Solosos III, since it's stated that no evacuation had taken place before Sisko made the planet uninhabitable for humans (For the Uniform). Sisko is accountable for killing the man's wife by launching the torpedoes at the planet. Consequences for that decision. To be honest, I want consequences for him to just go back to being hero the next week. The story is that the man had farmed the land for 50 years as a part of a colony separate from the Maquis and wasn't even involved in the politics. This story takes place during the 5th season of DS9 (before Blaze of Glory). He sees his wife every night when he sleeps and it drives him insane with anger.

This is supposed to mirror Ben's struggle with Jennifer's death as well. I had some flashbacks planned to see when Jake was born and and when Ben was assigned to the Saratoga and asks Jennifer to come along. This would've been the tug-at-your-heartstrings over the fact that Ben feels, in losing Jake, he has lost all of what's left of Jennifer. That his decisions in the uniform--to take the posting on the Saratoga, launching the torpedoes at Solosos III--had taken what was left of his family. He confesses, and this is the razor's edge, that he knew he could and wanted to kill this man for taking Jake, something he could never do the borg, but there's some transference there. He could've, but Jake stops him, as Ben had successfully rescued him. Instead he takes him into custody as the man is a Federation citizen.

But my eyes outpaced my stomach on this story. I couldn't get it right.
I wonder if you couldn't rework your story idea to fit with this month's challenge? Perhaps work some sort of "blaze of glory" style ending where a character must sacrifice themselves?
Angry Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2013, 07:15 PM   #50
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Count Zero wrote: View Post
No, it's not a problem.
Seven days. Prompt moderating there...
Old June 11 2013, 11:29 PM   #51
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Surprisingly, I do have a life apart from this board.

If you have issues with the way the forum is moderated take it to PM.