RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,723
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 772
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 3 2013, 04:41 PM   #46
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The old Silurians were a million times better. The whole point of the original story is that they don't have human faces, but that doesn't mean we should treat them differently.

Giving them human faces ruins the point and just comes across as xenophobic. As if the audience shouldn't care about people who don't look like them.
Or, given the budget, being able to see the actors emote was the driving force behind the current makeup. It's hard to care about a rubber mask, no matter what it looks like.

So far as the special goes, I'm surprised at just how excited I am to see Ten again. Now if only Nine could make an appearance. He's still my Doctor.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 04:41 PM   #47
Konata Izumi
Commander

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The old Silurians were a million times better. The whole point of the original story is that they don't have human faces, but that doesn't mean we should treat them differently.

Giving them human faces ruins the point and just comes across as xenophobic. As if the audience shouldn't care about people who don't look like them.
I think it's meant to reflect how we see different races as less alien than many decades ago, but have random compulsions to kill them even with the slightest difference, so it expands the message closer to discrimination in general, and not only racial discrimination which is an old story, and they even look a bit like they have some skin disease.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2013, 07:41 PM   #48
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Zeppster wrote: View Post
Everytime they've shown the Silurians in the past they looked radically different. So why is it so bad that they get a more human look since they are Homo-Reptilius(sp?) as the doctor termed.
I have my own way of explaining it.

The warrior Silurians in New series who like to wear masks.

The Silurians in the classic series look like men in masks - so perhaps they were Silurians in masks too, be it for life support or what have you. The climate has changed after all.

Even allows an explanation why the third eye has different functions too - in their first appearance its a weapon so perhaps its just built in to the helmet like 70s Cybermen. In their second appearance its for communications with their sub.

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
I know many wouldn't like double emphasis on Ten but there is a certain appeal in seeing there needing to be two of them to compare to Eleven.
I suppose ideally Rose could be paired with her other Doctor, but I'd believe that when I'd see it.
Old April 3 2013, 11:01 PM   #49
Green Lantern
Captain

Zygons huh? Interesting choice, but I'm just so glad that they're going for a classic villain. I think this has the making of a great episode. If it's just Matt an Tennant with the Zygons, I have a nice little felling that this will resemble the Two Doctors more than the Three of Five Doctors which for me is great as the two doctors is my favourite cross-over ever, and one of my favourite episodes. Although, I still really want to see Paul come back. he needs a second time on screen. but at least my doctor is back for the big day!

Originally, I thought this 50th anniversary would be doomed from the start with Moffatt the helms, with him you'd have thought that it would just be Smith with some new villain and a complicated plot twist even Moffatt does not fully understand. If this 50th special is awesome, Moffatt may be redeemed in my eyes. Hopefully though at the end there won't be something that would really piss me off happening in it like the doctor regenerating into a woman or something.

Really for this one, I just want a good old doctor team up with a great villain and a great episode. No complicated plot twists that lead into something awful and confusing like series 6 or the doctor being a Dalek or something. Really, I'd rather not have the doctor regenerating in this one seeing that his last adventure would be with a past version of himself.

Also while we're on the topic of Tardis outsides, I prefer DT's Tardis, looks a bit more realistic compared to MS's. I don't like how bright his is.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 03:52 AM   #50
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^ Yes, it's very important to have a realistic TARDIS!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 06:41 AM   #51
I am not Spock
Commodore

It better be more than just DT and Rose. We only saw them a couple of years ago. I want Ecclestone, McGann, and McCoy, at least! :P
Old April 4 2013, 09:53 AM   #52
Green Lantern
Captain

Yeah, I'd like Eccleston, McGann, and McCoy back too. I wouldn't want Colin Baker, Peter Davidson, Tom Baker, or an imitation of the first three back though as they're too old for the role though.

However as much as I want to see McGann again, a Smith Tennant team up sounds good as well. But really right now, I'd just be thankful that we're getting more than one doctor back and a classic villain to go with it.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 02:28 PM   #53
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^ Nah, it would be cool to include the older Doctors as well. It's very easy to include a reason for the older appearance. And, it's a celebration of the 50 years, not just the last 8.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 03:00 PM   #54
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
It's very easy to include a reason for the older appearance.
As far as I'm concerned, Time Crash has the best explanation ("hair's a bit greyer, that's because of me though, two of us together has shorted out the time differential, should all snap back in place when we get you home"), and we don't need another.
Old April 4 2013, 03:13 PM   #55
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I wouldn't want Colin Baker, Peter Davidson, Tom Baker, or an imitation of the first three back though as they're too old for the role though.
The hell you say!
Old April 4 2013, 03:41 PM   #56
Tom
Rear Admiral

There is no respect for the classic series, I would be upset if there was no classic Doctor (this includes Mcgann) in this special.
Old April 4 2013, 03:43 PM   #57
The Stig
Rear Admiral

^^ Nah, it would be cool to include the older Doctors as well. It's very easy to include a reason for the older appearance. And, it's a celebration of the 50 years, not just the last 8.

Mr Awe
It's mostly a celebration of the last eight. I'm guessing that Eccleston would have been included if he wanted the job, but not any of the older Doctors.

Old April 4 2013, 03:45 PM   #58
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post

Mr Awe
It's mostly a celebration of the last eight. I'm guessing that Eccleston would have been included if he wanted the job, but not any of the older Doctors.
But McGann is the last 8

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 03:47 PM   #59
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Mr Awe
Which is fucking ridiculous. If they wanted to celebrate the 8th anniversary with a New Who, they should've release a special on the anniversary of Rose. They're not; they're releasing it on the 50th anniversary of An Unearthly Child. This should be a celebration of Who in all its forms from beginning to the present, not any particular era.

That said, I'm still not entirely convinced we WON'T in fact get any classic Doctors or companions, but a celebration of 50 years that "mostly" celebrates the latest eight is just insulting.
Old April 4 2013, 03:57 PM   #60
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post

Mr Awe
Which is fucking ridiculous. If they wanted to celebrate the 8th anniversary with a New Who, they should've release a special on the anniversary of Rose. They're not; they're releasing it on the 50th anniversary of An Unearthly Child. This should be a celebration of Who in all its forms from beginning to the present, not any particular era.

That said, I'm still not entirely convinced we WON'T in fact get any classic Doctors or companions, but a celebration of 50 years that "mostly" celebrates the latest eight is just insulting.
Look, a popular kids show is running an anniversary special featuring characters that the current fans of the show would conceivably remember. What, precisely, is insulting about that? More to the point, when did you develop the notion that you were owed anything by this television show?