Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 1 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Say goodbye to the police box...

Moffat has decided to drastically alter the classic look of the TARDIS.

In a surprising development, it has been announced that the TARDIS exterior as we know it will be dramatically changed in time for the 50th anniversary.

And the reason for the change? The production team claim that the classic blue box just isn’t “street enough” any more, with audiences finding it old fashioned.

Steven Moffat said: “My goal for the 50th anniversary is to attract a whole new generation of fans. It’s time to look forward, not back. The old look just doesn’t cut it any more, quite frankly. Who uses police boxes now anyway! It’s something that has been a part of the show for far too long and it’s time to shake things up.

“Many casual viewers have been put off the show and want to see something hipper, cooler and sexier. That’s what we’ll deliver and what better time than the 50th year!”
Doctor Who TV

Moffat has gone too far this time!
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 03:52 PM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Say goodbye to the police box...

April 1st is the worst day to use the internet.
Old April 1 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Ya know, I wouldn't want to lose the Police Box altogether, but, it would be cool, if sometimes, it did actually work properly and do something to blend in at crucial times.

Like maybe a couple times a Series the Chameleon circuit actually worked properly when landing somewhere he definitely didn't want to be recognized, or maybe someplace where seeing the Phone Box would be detrimental to a Society's development

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 04:15 PM   #4
ITL
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
It even thanked Ali Forlop...
Old April 1 2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Ya know, I wouldn't want to lose the Police Box altogether, but, it would be cool, if sometimes, it did actually work properly and do something to blend in at crucial times.

Like maybe a couple times a Series the Chameleon circuit actually worked properly when landing somewhere he definitely didn't want to be recognized, or maybe someplace where seeing the Phone Box would be detrimental to a Society's development
The Sixth Doctor actually managed to temporarily repair the Chameleon Circuit in "Attack of the Cybermen", and we saw the TARDIS as both an ornate piece of furniture and an organ.

As for the Chameleon Circuit not currently working, I give you Eleven's own words on that:

It’s camouflaged. It’s disguised as a police telephone box from 1963. Every time the TARDIS materialises in a new location, within the first nanosecond of landing, it analyses its surroundings, calculates a twelve-dimensional data map of everything within a thousand-mile radius and then determines which outer shell would best blend in with the environment.... and then it disguises itself as a police telephone box from 1963.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Neroon
Mod of balance

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Relayer1
Commodore

April fools notwithstanding, I'd like to see the chameleon circuit repaired. The Doctor would still use the blue box most of the time.

It would also be good to see the swimming pool, Zeppelin hangar, old control rooms...
Old April 1 2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
The Sixth Doctor actually managed to temporarily repair the Chameleon Circuit in "Attack of the Cybermen", and we saw the TARDIS as both an ornate piece of furniture and an organ.
Not sure repair the word I'd use, as ornate furniture and an organ still weren't exactly blending in, even in a junkyard.

Of course now not just the doors, but the box shape part of the new console room, they'd find it more tricky to change even if they wanted to
Old April 1 2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

LOL, yea, hence why I specified "working", she may have changed, but, I wouldn't classify that change as working properly, if the goal is to blend in

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

The new TARDIS.

Old April 1 2013, 08:53 PM   #11
beneldon
Lieutenant Commander

badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger oh no a snake! a snake! a snake! badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger...

repeat as necessary.
beneldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 03:11 AM   #12
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

There was an otherwise rubbish fanfiction series I once read where the chameleon circuit was fixed, except that no matter what it was, it was always that same shade of bright blue. I liked that idea.
Old April 2 2013, 08:59 AM   #13
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
The new TARDIS.

Excellent!
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 01:14 PM   #14
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Excellent indeed! To bad George Carlin is no longer with us, as Doctor Rufus would be most excellent.
Old April 3 2013, 10:41 PM   #15
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Please no no no no no no!

MOFFAT YOU CUNT, YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME! IT WAS BAD ENNOUGTH WHEN HE MADE THE DALEKS INTO THE RAINBOW SQUAD, GAVE US A BORING SIXTH SERIES WITH TOO MANY COMPLICATED PLOT TWISTS, GAVE US THE BORING POND FAMILY, AND MADE A SILURIAN AND SONTARAN ONE OF THE DOCTORS ALLIES, BUT ACTUALY CHANGING AN ICON? FUCK YOU MOFFAT!

This show is definitely going to hell on a handcart. Luckily, I doubt this will last long, this is going to be one of those gimmicks like when the fifth doctor lost his sonic screwdriver, and he and the sixth doctor used that sonic dragger or something. But the big question is how long is this lasting? And couldn't they at least wait until the end of the fifteenth anniversary? Now one of the biggest events in doctor who history will have one of it's main icons destroyed.

One thing I can happily say though is with bad choices like these, Moffatt hopefully won't last much longer round here. Personally, I wish the BBC would kick Moffatt out right now, and he'd never go near doctor who again.

BTW Chris3123, the fourth doctor in Logopilis also attempted to repair the chameleon circuit, but failed.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote