Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 28 2013, 05:49 PM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

All You Need is Kill..Tom Cruise does scifi again

Like him or not, Is Cruise our biggest scifi star these days???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1631867/
Old March 28 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: All You Need is Kill..Tom Cruise does scifi again

RAMA wrote: View Post
Like him or not, Is Cruise our biggest scifi star these days???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1631867/
He's not really the "biggest" anything...

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

He's not really the "biggest" anything...
No wonder women leave his ass after a couple of years of marriage.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I'm not really interested in his personal life, but he didn't even make scifi for the first 75% of his career, now he has made Minority Report(in my top 5 best scifi movies of the 2000s), War of the Worlds, Mission Impossible (ok not scifi really but a tech thriller) Oblivion(which LOOKS terrific) and now this movie based on an alien war. MIGP made the msot money of ANY MI movie and had great reviews.

Yeah yeah he's short but so is a Hobbit!
Old March 28 2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Saul
Rear Admiral

He makes good movies. Action, sci-fi. I will watch em all. This one looks interesting already.
Old March 28 2013, 06:26 PM   #6
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

I'm not really interested in his personal life,
In all seriousness, perhaps Cruise's interest in sci-fi is related to his beliefs in Scientology and that -sci fi plays much into their belief system related to Xenu and the end of civilization?

Just a guess.

Regarding his stature in modern sci-fi - I'm not sure he's any bigger than Zoe Saldana, Harrison Ford, or Bruce Willis. And with SW coming up - and if Fisher, Hamill and Ford possibly showing up again - that will eclipse everything else out there.
Old March 28 2013, 06:34 PM   #7
RAMA
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I'm not really interested in his personal life,
In all seriousness, perhaps Cruise's interest in sci-fi is related to his beliefs in Scientology and that -sci fi plays much into their belief system related to Xenu and the end of civilization?

Just a guess.

Regarding his stature in modern sci-fi - I'm not sure he's any bigger than Zoe Saldana, Harrison Ford, or Bruce Willis. And with SW coming up - and if Fisher, Hamill and Ford possibly showing up again - that will eclipse everything else out there.
Cruise makes better choices, his BO grosses may be comparable with some of those (Ford hasn't had a hit in years) but the quality is better. Zoe's two scifi projects(ST09 and Avatar) make up $3.1 billion of her popularity.

Well Scientology itself is science fiction yes, but he never seemed to have interest in converting it to his films. Minority Report came out in 2002. Over 20 years of stardom later.

RAMA
Old March 28 2013, 06:47 PM   #8
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Zoe's two scifi projects(ST09 and Avatar) make up $3.1 billion of her popularity.
Soon to be three.

Last edited by DarthTom; March 28 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old March 28 2013, 07:07 PM   #9
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Zoe's two scifi projects(ST09 and Avatar) make up $3.1 billion of her popularity.
Soon to be three.

But of course!
Old March 28 2013, 07:09 PM   #10
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Probably not. I don't know if he has an interest in scifi per se, or if he simply realizes scifi/action films make money.

I don't care for either Minority Report, or War of the Worlds, but love Vanilla Sky, probably the only non-action scifi film he has ever been involved in. Probably why it didn't do so well too.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 07:15 PM   #11
RAMA
Vice Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
Probably not. I don't know if he has an interest in scifi per se, or if he simply realizes scifi/action films make money.

I don't care for either Minority Report, or War of the Worlds, but love Vanilla Sky, probably the only non-action scifi film he has ever been involved in. Probably why it didn't do so well too.

I watched the original movie Vanilla Sky was based on and preferred it(didn't know Vanilla Sky was a remake till the story seemed familiar), but I did forget that one, a year earlier than Minority Report.
Old March 29 2013, 01:04 AM   #12
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

I watched the original movie Vanilla Sky was based on and preferred it(didn't know Vanilla Sky was a remake till the story seemed familiar), but I did forget that one, a year earlier than Minority Report.
Yes. I have both Vanilla Sky and Open Your Eyes on DVD. I have only watched the original once, however.

Cruise has also been in at least two fantasy films, Legend, and Interview with a Vampire. Haven't seen either, though.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 01:07 AM   #13
Snaploud
Admiral

I enjoyed the book. I'll probably watch the movie.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 01:40 AM   #14
Aragorn
Admiral

Zoe Saldana? Are you crediting the box office grosses of Avatar and Star Trek to her? By that same standard, Jeff Goldblum was the No. 1 actor in the world after Independence Day and Jurassic Park.

Columbiana is more reflective of Saldana's draw.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 03:19 AM   #15
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I don't like Tom Cruise but I can't stop myself from watching his films. Guy picks good movies to be in.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote