RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 611
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 16 34.78%
Above average 25 54.35%
Average 4 8.70%
Below average 1 2.17%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Game of Thrones 3.1 - "Valar Dohaeris" - Rate and discuss

Rate and discuss (with spoilers for the episode, but not for forthcoming episodes) "Valar Dohaeris", airing on the 31st March on HBO and on the 1st April on Sky Atlantic.

Old April 1 2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Re: Game of Thrones 3.1 - "Valar Dohaeris" - Rate and discuss

Solid start to the season! I was impressed by how many scenes just leapt off the pages of the book. My favorite scene was Tywin and Tyrion. Yeah, Tywin's a royal bastard, but you can totally understand why he feels the way he does about Tyrion. The guy could out-hard-ass Stannis any day. The Unsullied scene was spot on as well. Was a little surprised to see Salladhor Saan again, considering he appeared in all of one scene last season. No "Arstan Whitebeard" here, but I can understand why the did it, since while you can easily keep Barristan's identity a secret on the page, you can't really do that on TV. No Strong Belwas, though. Can't wait for the return of Arya and the Wacky Adventures of Jaime and Brienne next week!
Old April 1 2013, 03:58 AM   #3
Alex1939
Captain

This show is so damn good. Really liked the translation from book to TV and was worried about some details. They make it all work really well.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 04:43 AM   #4
degra
Fleet Captain

I tried GoT but it did nothing for me. Its too busy,,,there are way too many characters, way too many plotlines, scenes are so hurried in order to service the ten thousand threads. I can appreciate developing a large expansive cast but this is ridiculous. I guess tv writers suffer from ADD but it makes for a very unsatisfying viewing experience.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 05:01 AM   #5
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

^^There are even more characters in the book lol...

I liked it a lot, a good setup for most of the storylines going forward. I also wondered how they were going to keep Selmy's identity secret, this does seem the best way to go. The bit about Cersei hearing that he'd lost his nose was a nice nod to the readers.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 06:01 AM   #6
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Did anyone catch what Tywin was writing when Tyrion went to see him?
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 06:43 AM   #7
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander

Good first ep to set up the rest of the season. The giants are not how i pictured them (what with wearing clothes and all) but i am not that disappointed. I am interested to see how they use the cast of characters they have as opposed to the huge cast of charters in the book. Also I am sad not to see Strong Belwas.
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Hyperspace05
Commodore

degra wrote: View Post
I tried GoT but it did nothing for me. Its too busy,,,there are way too many characters, way too many plotlines, scenes are so hurried in order to service the ten thousand threads. I can appreciate developing a large expansive cast but this is ridiculous. I guess tv writers suffer from ADD but it makes for a very unsatisfying viewing experience.
Now who suffers from ADD? Just kidding. Yeah, it can be daunting.

I rated the episode 'Above Average', but very close to 'Excellent'.

It may not seem like it, but the pacing was FAR superior compared to the season 2 opener. They really dig give each scene time to breathe, and they avoided showing every character.

Favourite moments:
- Giant!
- The Tyrion/Cersei and Tyrion/Tywin scenes
- Kraznys(?), the slave trader... Great job of making him an unlike-able jerk. And an amusing one. Loved the mis-translations.
- Barristan Selmy!
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 07:47 AM   #9
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Found it to be Above Average. Looking forward to more next week.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 10:38 AM   #10
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Awesome.. Game of Thrones is back and it's firing on all cylinders.

Once again scenes involving Tyrion Lannister are the best.. i don't know if it's the writing of him itself or the portrayal by Dinklage (or a combination of both) but they are usually the best amongst all the scenes.

It felt really organic picking up from last season's finale and showing us the aftermath of the big battle.. the wheel keeps on turning and all players move about and it's just so fun to see how it all develops.

The next 10 weeks or so will be brilliant!
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 12:00 PM   #11
SiddFinch1
Commander

Good job. To echo others tyrion and tywin was awesome. Understand the selmy shortcut. Nice insidenreference.to tyrions nose.
Old April 1 2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

I loved the dragon cooking its own fish in midair.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I gave it an "average." I was wary of being too excited about the return and gushing too much.

It was a very solid opener.

Dany's story is off to a strong start, and I was stupidly excited to see Selmy again. (I felt her story was too watered down and changed last year, but SoS has a lot of great Dany moments.)

Jon's story also suffered last year, but seeing Mance and Tormund in the opener gives me high hopes. I thought that Ghost being with the survivors of the Fist of the First Men was a bit of a head scratcher but...

Like another poster mentioned, I enjoyed the inclusion of the giant. I figured they would be a casualty of the budget, but was excited to see one on screen, even if they did not appear as I imagined.

I can only echo what was said above. The Tywin/Tyrion interaction was so spot on. (I loved the nod to what Tywin was writing.) Charles Dance and Peter Dinklage are dynamite together.

I like how they are cutting things while pulling some things in. For example, I thought the intro of Qyburn in that manner was an interesting choice.
Old April 1 2013, 02:06 PM   #14
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Solid start to the season! I was impressed by how many scenes just leapt off the pages of the book. My favorite scene was Tywin and Tyrion. Yeah, Tywin's a royal bastard, but you can totally understand why he feels the way he does about Tyrion. The guy could out-hard-ass Stannis any day. The Unsullied scene was spot on as well. Was a little surprised to see Salladhor Saan again, considering he appeared in all of one scene last season. No "Arstan Whitebeard" here, but I can understand why the did it, since while you can easily keep Barristan's identity a secret on the page, you can't really do that on TV. No Strong Belwas, though. Can't wait for the return of Arya and the Wacky Adventures of Jaime and Brienne next week!
I, too, was initially very surprised about Barristan's early reveal, but as you say, he would be too easily recognizable on-screen to make prolonging the mystery of his identity for any length of time. And, yes, where is Strong Belwas?!? He's one of my favorite characters from SoS! Has there even been a casting announcement for that character?

Interesting how they've very quietly introduced Maester Qyburn. I don't recall him being discovered quite in that way in the books, then it's been a long time since I read them.

Nice to see Tywin moving closer to his true form, moving away from the more patronly figure that was protecting Arya. His scene with Tyrion was pretty much dead-on. Lots of good and relatively accurate adaptations of scenes this episode - the scene with the Unsullied and the fun with Astapori translations was pretty close, too.

I understand how some of the critical comments mentioned that the season didn't really quite start off with a bang that many have expected, but I thought it was an excellent establishment and build-up to many major events in the very near future.

Other great things:
- The smoking hole that is Winterfell in the intro credits - nice touch
- The addition of Astapor in the intro - also nice touch. I'm thinking we'll see all of the cities on Slaver's Bay being rendered eventually
- Mance Rayder and Tormund Giantsbane
- Giants!
Old April 1 2013, 02:29 PM   #15
superdeluxe
Captain

As expected as a 'table setter' for the rest of the season. Great visual effects, Dany didn't come off as whiny, tywin vs tyrion, Giants!

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote