Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old April 1 2013, 05:05 AM   #211
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous

teacake wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Testicles come in so many flavours, I mean sizes.
Wrong, they all taste like chicken. Kind of off chicken.
See? With morbid thinking like that I know you buy into my Janeway castrating Chakotay after Caretaker theory!
Old April 1 2013, 05:06 AM   #212
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I prefer the term gelded.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 1 2013, 05:06 AM   #213
exodus
Fleet Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
I always disliked the silver suit after hearing how it almost made her pass out.

The later suits with the lower neckline were better.
It made her almost pass out? The high neckline choked off circulation or something?
No, the silver suit caused glare in the camera due to the studio lighting. It was the Borg suit that was too tight and restricted her breathing.
Old April 1 2013, 05:07 AM   #214
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Testicles come in so many flavours, I mean sizes.
Wrong, they all taste like chicken. Kind of off chicken.
Bollocks!
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old April 1 2013, 05:08 AM   #215
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

shh.. we've put monty python in the cupboard with hitler.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old April 1 2013, 05:14 AM   #216
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Best Spock haircut ever belongs to Dwayne Dibbley.
Old April 1 2013, 05:59 AM   #217
StarTrekSlut
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Captain kathryn, I know this is going to sound mean when i say this but:

WHY THE BLOODY HELL WOULD YOU WATCH TNG and THEN VOYAGER???

Even in real time, DS9 Comes AFTER TNG.. Voyager is an afterthought.. You've screwed up your palate (like drinking too much Synthol)

DS9 is the culmination of the stellar maturity and story writing that CAME from TNG...

This is Star Trek 101 luv. None of my rants (or anyones rants for that matter) will be in context if you are doing things bass ackwards!

id say "crikey" but someone would slap me down for not using more american slang.. So i'll go with "Oh Schnap!"

-crim

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
StarTrekSlut wrote: View Post
Ok then.. Lets see if a brief recap is useful:

Since I started rewatching Voyager. I am in TEARS because while I appreciate Tim Russ's acting ability, the fact that he was not given a traditional vulcan look (he has what im told is his (Tim Russ) natural curdled/curled hair.. TAKES AWAY from his portrayal of a Vulcan..

This is inappropriate!!!... Based on the mythos established by TNG and DS9 .. Add to that the fact that the ACTOR Tim Russ has some sort of receeding hairline or haircut or whatever that looks totally abnormal.... FOR A VULCAN...

Why couldnt the traditional Vulcan wig simply have been used? Tuvok would have been a solid character. .. Instead we have this nickel and dime nonsense (read my rant on Janeways Bun of Death)...

After the success of TNG and DS9 we should have learned our lessons by now and had something that was at least MEDIOCRE star trek.. .. instead what ive seen (so far.. im just finished season 1 and 2) is just IRRITATING as all get out mate..

-crim
I've seen TNG nearly in its entirety and VOY I have watched in its entirety a couple times over now. I am still on Season 1 of DS9 and they have not really featured any Vulcans yet, so I can't really reference any Vulcans from the show, but as of now Tuvok has to be my favorite Vulcan so far. He is logical, as Vulcans of course are. He is a good advisor, tactical officer, and security officer to Janeway. He has the ability to be funny without meaning to be. He is witty, cunning, intelligent, and not bad looking for a 100+ year old Vulcan. What is the issue? That he isn't a spitting image of Spock?

Just like humans come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and looks...why can't Vulcans? I see no reason why Vulcan physiology cannot be as diverse as humans are.

Just found this in the Memory Alpha on Vulcan phisiology:

Genetically, Vulcans and Humans were similar enough that they could produce offspring without any problems. (ENT: "Terra Prime")
Externally, Vulcans were generally similar to Humans, the chief exceptions being the Vulcans' notably arched and up-swept eyebrows and distinguished external ear structure, the top of which tapered into a clearly defined point.

Most Vulcans had straight, glossy dark brown or, more commonly, black hair and pale skin with a very subtle greenish tinge, much as the skin of Humans of European descent had a very subtle reddish or pinkish tinge. However, some Vulcans, including Tuvok, had brown skin, tightly coiled black hair, and physiognomic features similar to those found in Humans of African descent.

Others shared physiognomic features similar to those found in Humans of East Asian descent. However, most Vulcans had a vaguely Eurasian appearance. (Star Trek: The Original Series; Star Trek III: The Search for Spock; Star Trek: Voyager).
Old April 1 2013, 06:10 AM   #218
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Captain kathryn, I know this is going to sound mean when i say this but:

WHY THE BLOODY HELL WOULD YOU WATCH TNG and THEN VOYAGER???

Even in real time, DS9 Comes AFTER TNG.. Voyager is an afterthought.. You've screwed up your palate (like drinking too much Synthol)

DS9 is the culmination of the stellar maturity and story writing that CAME from TNG...

This is Star Trek 101 luv. None of my rants (or anyones rants for that matter) will be in context if you are doing things bass ackwards!

id say "crikey" but someone would slap me down for not using more american slang.. So i'll go with "Oh Schnap!"

-crim

Since I started rewatching Voyager. I am in TEARS because while I appreciate Tim Russ's acting ability, the fact that he was not given a traditional vulcan look (he has what im told is his (Tim Russ) natural curdled/curled hair.. TAKES AWAY from his portrayal of a Vulcan..

This is inappropriate!!!... Based on the mythos established by TNG and DS9 .. Add to that the fact that the ACTOR Tim Russ has some sort of receeding hairline or haircut or whatever that looks totally abnormal.... FOR A VULCAN...

Why couldnt the traditional Vulcan wig simply have been used? Tuvok would have been a solid character. .. Instead we have this nickel and dime nonsense (read my rant on Janeways Bun of Death)...

After the success of TNG and DS9 we should have learned our lessons by now and had something that was at least MEDIOCRE star trek.. .. instead what ive seen (so far.. im just finished season 1 and 2) is just IRRITATING as all get out mate..

-crim
I've seen TNG nearly in its entirety and VOY I have watched in its entirety a couple times over now. I am still on Season 1 of DS9 and they have not really featured any Vulcans yet, so I can't really reference any Vulcans from the show, but as of now Tuvok has to be my favorite Vulcan so far. He is logical, as Vulcans of course are. He is a good advisor, tactical officer, and security officer to Janeway. He has the ability to be funny without meaning to be. He is witty, cunning, intelligent, and not bad looking for a 100+ year old Vulcan. What is the issue? That he isn't a spitting image of Spock?

Just like humans come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and looks...why can't Vulcans? I see no reason why Vulcan physiology cannot be as diverse as humans are.

Just found this in the Memory Alpha on Vulcan phisiology:

Genetically, Vulcans and Humans were similar enough that they could produce offspring without any problems. (ENT: "Terra Prime")
Externally, Vulcans were generally similar to Humans, the chief exceptions being the Vulcans' notably arched and up-swept eyebrows and distinguished external ear structure, the top of which tapered into a clearly defined point.

Most Vulcans had straight, glossy dark brown or, more commonly, black hair and pale skin with a very subtle greenish tinge, much as the skin of Humans of European descent had a very subtle reddish or pinkish tinge. However, some Vulcans, including Tuvok, had brown skin, tightly coiled black hair, and physiognomic features similar to those found in Humans of African descent.

Others shared physiognomic features similar to those found in Humans of East Asian descent. However, most Vulcans had a vaguely Eurasian appearance. (Star Trek: The Original Series; Star Trek III: The Search for Spock; Star Trek: Voyager).
I didn't say I watched TNG and then Voyager. I watched Voyager for the first time because 1) I grew up in the 90s and 2) I had a boyfriend when I was a senior in high school who was a self-entitled trekkie and at that time I was not a Star Trek fan. He thought, at the time, that he could get me into Star Trek by introducing me to Voyager. I wasn't aware of anything to do with Star Trek at the time. We watched a few episodes of Voyager when I was like 18 years old while we dated, me not even knowing anything about Star Trek. So in essence, it was an accident. Really not my fault.

I watched TNG afterwards because I heard from heresay that it was supposedly the "best Trek series" and then rewatched Voyager when I joined Netflix later on because I remembered from a while ago that I had enjoyed it the first time I watched it. I am now fully aware of the storyline that connects TOS to TNG to DS9 and finally to VOY. There is such a thing known as research and the internet where you can find out information... I do realize I am watching them out of order (which occurred by accident) but I did enough research that I am pretty sure I get it...

It's really nobody's business what order I watch it in. I'm pretty sure my brain can handle putting the pieces together once I have watched them all... -_-

And...WTF...Trek purity? Are you the Adolf Hitler of Star Trek and Voyager is a Jew?

One more thing...I couldn't possibly give less of a that you think Tuvok looks more black than Vulcan. Get over it.

Last edited by Captain Kathryn; April 1 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old April 1 2013, 06:44 AM   #219
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You sound like Roe vs Wade.

Imagine if Stormtroopers were knocking doors down to make sure that we all watched TV in the right order. If we had to have papers to ascribe and testify to our lawful viewing patterns... And that you could be locked up without a key if you were to breack with covenant.

Oh.

I forgot.

That's what's happened to torrents in the last 5 years.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Old April 1 2013, 06:55 AM   #220
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Imagine if Stormtroopers were knocking doors down to make sure that we all watched TV in the right order.
And that we were watching only The Clone Wars.
Old April 1 2013, 09:56 AM   #221
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

No, it add much-needed variety to the Vulcans.
If that were true (and it's not, see the pics others have posted), it would be a weakness of TNG and DS9, which presented Trek aliens as monocultures. Look at the variety on Earth, the way we look and act. Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans and others should all have as much variation as we do. But instead those in charge dumbed down the aliens to look and act the same way. EVERY Romulan was sneaky. EVERY Klingon was obsessed by honour and loved bloodwine. They even added ridges to Romulan foreheads so that idiots wouldn't "confuse" them with Vulcans. It was pathetic.
Tuvok was a solid character. If you let such insignificant nonsense bother you, you're watching it wrong. There are very real inconsistencies in Trek to get worked up about. You don't need to invent new ones.
Old April 1 2013, 01:30 PM   #222
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Tuvok was a solid character. If you let such insignificant nonsense bother you, you're watching it wrong. There are very real inconsistencies in Trek to get worked up about. You don't need to invent new ones.
Maybe StarTrekSlut is unfortunately bald and Rogaine isn't working so he feels the need to pick on fictional characters' hairstyles.

I am in TEARS because while I appreciate Tim Russ's acting ability, the fact that he was not given a traditional vulcan look (he has what im told is his (Tim Russ) natural curdled/curled hair.. TAKES AWAY from his portrayal of a Vulcan..
The bun rant I can deal with...but picking on Tuvok because he doesn't look "Vulcan enough" for you just seems wrong. Really? Do you want every alien race to look and act the same all the time, even though clearly humans do not? Do you walk around telling light-skinned black guys that they don't look "black enough" for you? Or how about Asian people who wear their hair blonde and get eyelid surgery? Do you want to call them out too for not looking enough like their own race? Seriously...

Last edited by Captain Kathryn; April 1 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old April 1 2013, 01:41 PM   #223
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I hate the Vulcan bowl cut. It looked good on Nimoy but just looks like a bad wig on everyone else. The fewer Vulcans sporting that particular hairstyle the better if you ask me.

Also, IDIC anyone?
Old April 1 2013, 01:45 PM   #224
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Also, IDIC anyone?
Old April 1 2013, 01:47 PM   #225
StarTrekSlut_
Ensign

No mates im not bald.. And I cannot believe how out of control you blokes have gotten. I was trying to point out a semantic issue and you've all turned this into a racial one.

Do you not see a problem here? This is why cinema has gone down hill, this is why we dont get high quality goods in the states anymore because the likes of you want to quibble. Sure some of you might call this minutia but the DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS mates.

I want HIGH quality Star Trek back. The JJ Abrahms Movies are close and I have high hopes... (on another rant, heres hoping he wont go and rape my Jedi religion with blasphemy and something
ridiculous like making Lando Calrissian asian.)

-crim

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Maybe StarTrekSlut is unfortunately bald and Rogaine isn't working so he feels the need to pick on fictional characters' hairstyles.

I am in TEARS because while I appreciate Tim Russ's acting ability, the fact that he was not given a traditional vulcan look (he has what im told is his (Tim Russ) natural curdled/curled hair.. TAKES AWAY from his portrayal of a Vulcan..
The bun rant I can deal with...but picking on Tuvok because he doesn't look "Vulcan enough" for you just seems wrong. Really? Do you want every alien race to look and act the same all the time, even though clearly humans do not? Do you walk around telling light-skinned black guys that they don't look "black enough" for you? Or how about Asian people who wear their hair blonde and get eyelid surgery? Do you want to call them out too for not looking enough like their own race? Seriously...
Closed Thread