Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: How do you rate 7x06 "The Bells of St John"?
Poor 2 1.43%
Okay 18 12.86%
Good 21 15.00%
Great 39 27.86%
Outstanding 42 30.00%
Geronimo!! 18 12.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 31 2013, 02:39 PM   #91
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: 7x06 The Bells of St John - review/ discussion

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
As an American I found it kind of tough to make out at first, it's said a lot quicker than we usually do almost a 'twittuh' where we have a more drawn out 'twi-terr'.
Not in Boston...
Fair enough.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 03:16 PM   #92
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
My eagle eye spotted the author of the book the boy was reading that Clara praised was none other than Amelia Williams. So I guess Amy had quite a successful career as an author in her post-TARDIS life.
We'll get to see just how successful, since the BBC is releasing an ebook of that title, Summer Falls: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/03...313000008.html.
Old March 31 2013, 03:36 PM   #93
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

oh with the motorbike, i didn't mean to say 'where did he keep it?' (but getting a bike up stairs in the tardis must be tricky), but the sudden 'it also drives up walls because the plot needs it to' ability that just came out of no where seemed like a random jump too far. and i couldn't think of a quick way to say it properly

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 03:38 PM   #94
RoJoHen
Awesome

junxon wrote: View Post
oh with the motorbike, i didn't mean to say 'where did he keep it?' (but getting a bike up stairs in the tardis must be tricky), but the sudden 'it also drives up walls because the plot needs it to' ability that just came out of no where seemed like a random jump too far.
I mean, even if the motorbike didn't already possess the ability, he probably would have just shot it with his sonic screwdriver to make it anti-grav abilities anyway.
Old March 31 2013, 03:47 PM   #95
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

it just seemed lazy

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Rusty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 03:56 PM   #96
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
oh with the motorbike, i didn't mean to say 'where did he keep it?' (but getting a bike up stairs in the tardis must be tricky), but the sudden 'it also drives up walls because the plot needs it to' ability that just came out of no where seemed like a random jump too far.
I mean, even if the motorbike didn't already possess the ability, he probably would have just shot it with his sonic screwdriver to make it anti-grav abilities anyway.
He uses the sonic so much anyway he could've pointed it at the tires with an FX shot showing them starting to get goopy then drive the newly sticky tires up the building. Don't know how well that'd work or if it'd be better but it'd show him thinking on the spot instead of having it already there.
Old March 31 2013, 04:17 PM   #97
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

For a second I expected them to show the antigrav clamps from the PotD bus on the wheels.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 04:19 PM   #98
Captain_Amasov
Captain

oh with the motorbike, i didn't mean to say 'where did he keep it?' (but getting a bike up stairs in the tardis must be tricky), but the sudden 'it also drives up walls because the plot needs it to' ability that just came out of no where seemed like a random jump too far. and i couldn't think of a quick way to say it properly
He should have used the Whomobile!
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 04:22 PM   #99
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
For a second I expected them to show the antigrav clamps from the PotD bus on the wheels.
Does Moff ever use RTD stuff?

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
He should have used the Whomobile!
I loved that thing.
Old March 31 2013, 04:30 PM   #100
sonak
Vice Admiral

I liked that it was a pretty low-key story, and I think the new companion is good. I also liked the little in-jokes(the TARDIS is made of wood so it doesn't go into battle, he loves the sound of "doctor who," etc.)
Old March 31 2013, 05:59 PM   #101
davejames
Vice Admiral

I thought it was really clever and fun. And perfectly in keeping with Moffat's sillier, more fairy tale style.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 06:57 PM   #102
Ghost Bones
Captain

Wereghost wrote: View Post
^ Yes, Kazran Szardick sounds exactly like Sally Sparrow.
...who was that, the old man out of A Christmas Rip-off? Either way, you know exactly what I'm saying. The Steven Moffat guide to writing a likeable female character is just thinking "she's supposed to be sassy" and then making her sound what he imagines hip young people are like. Which means post-modern "urrhurr, it's all SOOO ironic" interchangeability with all his other female characters that makes even Ace look reasonable by comparison. It's only that Carey Mulligan is demonstrably a good actress that she wasn't exactly the same and found a bit more about her character, whereas Gillan and Jenna are clearly just glad to be there and playing it as written. Alex Kingston's performance screams someone delighted to pretend to be young. All his female characters are essentially Dexter Fletcher in Press Gang plus pretending Matt Smith is shaggable in every other sentence.
Old March 31 2013, 07:07 PM   #103
shivkala
Rear Admiral

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
So - the woman in the shop who gave Clara the Tardis phone number - presumably this was River Song right?

Moffat does not put stuff like that in for no reason, so we can safely assume it is River I guess!
Cutter John wrote: View Post
* I like the refernce to the "girl in the shop", though it was rather a throwaway line. Blink and you might miss it.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought Sally Sparrow when Clara said that line. Not sure why Sally would have the Doctor's number or why she'd be giving it out to Clara (assuming she knew who Clara is and isn't handing out his number to anyone who needs Help Desk).

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Is RTD's back? because this episode sure felt like one of his. It even had a cautionary warning about the dangers of our modern society. This time it was wifi and last time it was ATMOS(pollution)
As far as RTD, I got an RTD-vibe from the opening. The vibe got less as the episode went on. Though things like the Anti-Grav bike did seem more RTD than Moffett.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
You gotta love a boss who lets their underlings take their vacation time before killing them, at least.
It seemed a very British thing to do. From what I've heard, they really value taking vacation time there, versus here in America. In America, I think we would have done it right before he went on vacation!

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
All this "clever boy" rubbish. Everyone talks the same in Moffat's universe. All quick and smug and not taking anything seriously. Pond and Song could have said the exactly the same and it wouldn't be out of place. The man's not got a sense of character voice, or else it's so dulled by his attempts to sound hip and neo-Buffy.
Doesn't bother me that much, but I get what you're saying. While I loved James Robinson's Starman series, I got very tired of everyone talking like Jack. Even the supervillains seemed to have Jack's love of collecting kitsch from the past.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
He keeps the motor bike in the TARDIS.
"Idiot's Lantern" had him and Rose pop out of the TARDIS on a scooter. With the similarities to "Idiot's Lantern" in-terms of an alien intelligence sucking people through a TV/computer it seemed intentional.

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
How is a woman in her early 20s not computer savvy?

The only possible answer is a hashpipe.
There are some people who are woefully dumb about computers, but Clara was a special level of dumb. Especially the Doctor's comment about her going from not knowing anything to making a Twitter joke. I find it odd that she was too dumb, computer-wise, to make a Twitter joke before getting her upgrade.

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I liked how Clara figured out where they were, btw. That was a nice commentary on social media.
Did anyone else guess where they were by what you could see out of the office window? Or was that just me?!!
It reminded me of "Rose" where they showed the skyline and had the Doctor clueless as to where the bad guys could be. I've never been to London, but it was obvious to me it was one of the buildings they kept showing in the background of that cafe scene.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 07:31 PM   #104
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Oh, Bones, Moffat's "A Christmas Carol" wasn't a rip-off, it was an homage. It deliberately used settings and archetypes familiar to Dicken's A Christmas Carol to tell a time-travel story. Despite the happy ending, though, there's something darker at play in the Who version, where our care-free Timelord uses time travel not to educate Kazran, but to rewrite his history. By the end, Sardick isn't a changed man because he's seen the errors of his ways, but because he's literally a changed man. The ends the Doctor achieved are definitely positive, but the means by which he got there? Well, just imagine his reaction to a villain who tries to rewrite Amy's history to achieve a noble outcome.

Anyway, I found "The Bells of St. John" to be a fun, fast-moving episode. The only trouble I actually had with it was the execution of the antagonist's plan, which felt a little half-baked, but in the rubbery-super-science-which-can't-be-distinguished-from-magic way that's typical of Doctor Who new and old. Aside from that, the it was a tight screenplay that made great use of foreshadowing and formally introduced the Doctor's latest companion in a solid, enjoyable fashion. And I loved that bit about taking the short cut to breakfast, leaving the bad guys tired after a night of searching. Moffat proves again he really does get time travel.

Two thumbs up, Geronimo, five stars, etc., this was more like the kind of show I was expecting in the Smith Era.
Old March 31 2013, 07:41 PM   #105
Worf2DS9
Writer

Enjoyed the episode. JLC is adorable and I'm happy to have her aboard the TARDIS. Not overly thrilled that there needs to be some BIG MYSTERY surrounding who she is though. Can't the Doctor just pick up a regular clever girl? Hopefully the payoff will be worth the ride.

The motorbike up the building was goofy, and the "doctor who?" gag was cute initially, but went on too long and, over all, is getting stale quick.

As someone else mentioned earlier, I too got a Judi Dench vibe from the evil wi-fi woman.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote