Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 11 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The Netflix Thread

I think there may be enough Netflix news to just have our own thread? Let's see how it goes.

Netflix Broadband Speeds

This is sure to irk some broadband providers: The streaming video company unveiled today the “Netflix ISP Speed Index,” a Web site designed to help people see “which Internet Service Providers (ISPs) provide the best Netflix streaming experience.”
Here's the site.

No Canada on the list? After all the complaints I've seen about their speeds, it is really so bad?

How much Netflix original episodes cost.

...the cheapest show is $3.8 million an episode and House of Cards started at $4.5 million with executive producer David Fincher taking it ”way above that”. According to Micelli, the next series Hemlock Grove is costing $4 million an episode, while Orange Is The New Black is just under $4 million as well.
You could do a decent looking sci fi series for 4M an episode. Just sayin'...

Sharp growth in households without TV's.

Turns out there are more than 5M so-called “zero TV” homes now, up from from more than 2M in 2007. Nielsen’s term for the group is a little deceptive: 75% have at least one TV set. But 37% watch video content on computers, 8% on smartphones, and 6% on tablets. A little less than half (48%) watch TV content through subscription services, which Nielsen doesn’t identify but I’d assume includes a lot of Netflix customers. As you might imagine, people in these “zero TV” homes tend to be a lot younger than others in traditional TV households, and 41.2% live alone (vs. 26.2% of people in TV households). Some 36% of “zero TV” people say that cost is the main reason why they opt out of the traditional system, while 31% say that they simply lack interest. But 18% say that they’d consider subscribing to pay TV.
They'd consider subscribing until they see the vast difference in cost. $100/month is a bit much when you've gotten used to $8.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 07:56 PM   #2
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: The Netflix Thread

Mine is what you'd call a "zero TV" home. I have two TVs, but they are used only for video games, DVDs, and Netflix. No cable/satellite subscription, no OTA hookup.
Old March 11 2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Ditto - no cable, no OTA. Use my TV for Netflix and Pandora. Also have an iPad and laptop, but never got in the habit of using either for streaming. YouTube videos, games and ebooks, yeah.
Old March 11 2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Another reason to cut the cord: TV advertising is losing revenue to online advertising, which will push up cable rates.

Yes, advertisers love their ELECTRICAL SUPERSTORMS!!! How can TV advertising compete long-term with the perfect accountability of online ads?

Online ads are more efficient, which means less money to content producers, which puts more pressure on any ad-based business vs subscription, which is immune from all this. In fact, it works out to Netflix and Amazon's advantage, since they are online ad buyers, not sellers.

The analysis today from Nomura Equity Research’s Michael Nathanson could dampen the mood at TV networks as we head into the big upfront ad sales season. The most startling discovery: total ad revenues didn’t grow at all in 2012 at the Big Media companies he tracks.

Meanwhile Internet-based media are taking market share, and driving ad rates down. “In effect, online advertising — specifically online display advertising — is enabling advertisers to reach their ‘eye-ball targets’ with less (and sometimes even no) ad dollar budget growth.” For example, last year media and entertainment companies cut their ad spending 4.2% — even as box office sales hit a record high.

With ad growth slowing, Big Media likely will feel more pressure to raise the prices they charge pay TV distributors — putting pressure on them to raise subscribers’ monthly bills.
As if greedy sports franchises driving up cable costs weren't bad enough.
Old March 12 2013, 03:52 AM   #5
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Hemlock Grove trailer and poster.

PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 05:00 AM   #6
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

How can House of Cards cost much more than 4.5 million dollars?!
Old March 12 2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Mine is what you'd call a "zero TV" home. I have two TVs, but they are used only for video games, DVDs, and Netflix. No cable/satellite subscription, no OTA hookup.
Same here. One computer, high-speed Internet and all the online streaming I could ask for. I neither need nor want a TV and cable/satellite.
Old March 12 2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Yoda
Rear Admiral

If it weren't for live sports, my cable package would be a goner. I'm a god damned Trekkie, why the hell do I even like sports anyway
Old March 12 2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

They've got AT&T DSL way down on the list at 15, but I easily get enough speed to watch HD quality movies on my Roku box.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 05:46 PM   #10
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The less people with cable TV the more the same cable TV provides will charge fr high speed internet. It's a lovely monopoly they have.
Old March 12 2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Government takeover 10Gb fiber to all Americans plz. *dons Che Guevara t-shirt*
Old March 12 2013, 08:14 PM   #12
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
Yeah that will happen right after free health care for all and a NASA built moon base.
Old March 12 2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
OBAMANET!

Hemlock Grove doesn't look nearly as gory as I expected from Eli Roth, but it definitely looks more binge-worthy than House of Cards - scary and crazy (hopefully).

PS, does anyone have Arrested Development (old episodes) on their streaming queue? Netflix did something cute with the stars...
Old March 12 2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The less people with cable TV the more the same cable TV provides will charge fr high speed internet. It's a lovely monopoly they have.
That's why I made sure to get Sonic as my internet/landline provider here in the SF area. I want nothing further to do with Comcast or AT&T ever again as long as I shall live.
Old March 14 2013, 12:32 AM   #15
jayceee
Commander

Wonder how soon dvds (and blurays) will also disappear from the market, whether retail or rental.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote