Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 1 2013, 03:08 PM   #31
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Into Darkness ties to Star Trek XIII?

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I just don't agree with the common opinion on this board that nuTrek has to have as little connection to Star Trek as possible because they think that the general audience is too stupid to understand some references.
As always it will be a delicate balance.

And avid ST fans make up less than 10% of the audience of a Star Trek movie. Less than 2% buy the tie-in books and comics.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 03:33 PM   #32
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Do you really want it to just die and there be no more "Star Trek"? It looked pretty ragged after "Nemesis" and "These Are the Voyages".
Of course not, and I think that Bad Robot did a decent job with the last movie. And from what I saw in the trailes for the next one, it's gonna be spectacular.

I just don't agree with the common opinion on this board that nuTrek has to have as little connection to Star Trek as possible because they think that the general audience is too stupid to understand some references. And even if Joe Average doesn't get every reference, so what? I'm sure there are lots of references in other franchises that I don't get, but that doesn't spoil my enjoyment in any way.

Gaining a new audience is important and it helps the franchise to survive, but if we are going to reduce Star Trek to the lowest common denominator then it will become meaningless.
It's "the common opinion on this board" that nuTrek must have "as little connection to Star Trek as possible"? Really? Literally?

Just who was the Easter egg of tribbles on Delta Vega aimed at, anyway?
Old April 1 2013, 04:02 PM   #33
Oso Blanco
Commodore

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Now THAT was completely pointless, as well as naming that planet Delta Vega in the first place.
Old April 1 2013, 04:15 PM   #34
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Trek should have as little back story as possible, in order to avoid boring people's asses to tears.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 04:19 PM   #35
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I loved all the references to Trek lore in STXI. It was brilliantly done - there for the fans to pick up on, but not done in a way that befuddled newbies.
Old April 1 2013, 04:53 PM   #36
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Do you really want it to just die and there be no more "Star Trek"? It looked pretty ragged after "Nemesis" and "These Are the Voyages".
Of course not, and I think that Bad Robot did a decent job with the last movie. And from what I saw in the trailes for the next one, it's gonna be spectacular.

I just don't agree with the common opinion on this board that nuTrek has to have as little connection to Star Trek as possible because they think that the general audience is too stupid to understand some references. And even if Joe Average doesn't get every reference, so what? I'm sure there are lots of references in other franchises that I don't get, but that doesn't spoil my enjoyment in any way.

Gaining a new audience is important and it helps the franchise to survive, but if we are going to reduce Star Trek to the lowest common denominator then it will become meaningless.
To whom? Certainly not the new arrival to Trek. And let's face it, the vast bulk of the long-time fans will watch the new stuff anyway.

The tribble, Delta Vega, the reference to Adm. Archer's beagle, along with a number of other nods and winks to prior Trek, were fine. They didn't confuse the story in any way to someone for whom the 09 movie was the first Trek they'd ever watched and they were familiar to any "old-timer". But they were completely superfluous and I would not have missed any one of them if they'd been edited from the final cut of the film.

Starship Enterprise? Check.
Kirk, Spock and co. are there? Check.
Starfleet? Check.

That's all the "backstory" anyone needs for it to be Star Trek. Anything else should be in service of the story being told and NOT in service of "connecting to the rest of the franchise". If it happens to do so, fine. If not, no big deal.

It's entertainment. So let it be entertaining. If it is anything more, that's a bonus. It's not a requirement.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 09:22 PM   #37
Dukhat
Commodore

Dukhat wrote: View Post
I'm glad that didn't happen, because it would have been fanwankingly stupid. None of the casual moviegoing audience would have known that it was Khan's ship (and if they did, they probably wouldn't have cared)
I don't see the problem there. None of the casual moviegoing audience knew who that guy in the final scene of The Avengers was, so what? By that logic you would have to drop all Star Trek references whatsoever and make it a standalone movie with no backstory at all. But that wouldn't be Star Trek, would it?
It has nothing to do with it being a Star Trek reference. It has to do with the audience seeing some old ship shaped like a submarine with some prongs at the end, and are supposed to make some kind of connection to it. Now if the scene shifted to the inside of the ship and to one of the cryobeds, where a CGI Khan could be seen, that might be different. But again, all that would mean is that it's a lead up to the next movie, and having it simply be TWOK Mk. 2 isn't necessary.
Old April 1 2013, 09:25 PM   #38
Franklin
Rear Admiral

TOS wasn't a serial. Each episode stood alone. Spock had the most developed backstory, Kirk kind of had one, but the other characters had no backstories at all. We knew hardly anything about McCoy, Scotty, or the rest. Yet everything was fine.

The TOS movies had a sort of trilogy in TWOK, TSFS, and TVH but it wasn't a forced trilogy (as in one movie foreshadowed the next, or seeing all of them is required to make sense of things).

Given what precious little we're going to see of these characters right now (one more movie and that may be it), I'd really like to see the third movie be a totally independent story with fully bloomed characters comfortable in their duties and already earning a reputation as a special crew doing special things.

That said, by title alone, "Into Darkness" portends an ending that may require the loose ends to be tied up in the next movie.

In any case, I'll take what comes and hope to enjoy it.
Old April 1 2013, 10:17 PM   #39
Jack Frost
Commodore

We always sit though the credits anyway so if they wanna tack some tidbit of a clue to the next one onto the end of STID I ain't going to complain. Usually we're the only ones left in the theater by credits end unless the general public knows there is something to see.
Old April 2 2013, 12:02 AM   #40
WarpFactorZ
Captain

The Keeper wrote: View Post
We always sit though the credits anyway so if they wanna tack some tidbit of a clue to the next one onto the end of STID I ain't going to complain. Usually we're the only ones left in the theater by credits end unless the general public knows there is something to see.
Exactly. The post-credits "bonus scene" is almost always intended for those who know it's there going into the movie (i.e. the diehard fans). So, once the credits are done, having a obscure shot of the Botany Bay being discovered would be akin to what was seen in Avengers.

Claiming it's the same as the scene at the end of the Dark Knight, however, is wrong. First, that was pre-credits, so everyone saw it. Secondly, EVERYONE knows the Joker is the arch-enemy of Batman, and EVERYONE was expecting it (probably most had no clue who/what the League of Shadows was, actually). You can't make the same comparison with Khan and Kirk.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 03:11 AM   #41
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Now THAT was completely pointless, as well as naming that planet Delta Vega in the first place.
The point was for longtime fans to go "A-ha".
Old April 2 2013, 03:32 AM   #42
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Uummm...

Have we already forgotten the 'several' references to TWoK that have already appeared in some of the trailers...?
(and other places)

Hand-to-hand against the glass...
Dr. Carol Marcus...
and
Apparently, some kind of Fancy Torpedo (Genesis???)...
(I'm sure there's a few more that I've forgotten at the moment)

...and all this before the end credits even begin.

Kinda silly to be arguing that past obscure references shouldn't be included at this point, I think.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.

Last edited by DaveyNY; April 2 2013 at 03:54 AM.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 03:43 AM   #43
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Actually, the reallly longtime fans said "Why is Delta Vega next to Vulcan?"
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 03:51 AM   #44
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
It just scared the living daylights out of me.
Old April 2 2013, 05:09 AM   #45
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Clearly, some really long-time Trek fans—who knows how many, but including fans of over forty years, such as me—really don't care if a planet named Delta Vega exists near or next to Vulcan in the nu-timeline.