RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 425
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old October 28 2013, 04:54 AM   #871
Scout101
Admiral

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

And there you go, tied series. Lester's been great, still alive here...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old October 28 2013, 04:56 AM   #872
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Red Sox are not playing their best, not even close, and the Cards' pitching is so much better than the Sox, and their hitting is better / more consistent.

What a weird, and yet again, stupid way to end a game. Why steal the base? Let the guy hit a home run and tie it.

David Ortiz is the nicest coolest guy, so glad he is still with the team.
Old October 28 2013, 02:51 PM   #873
Scout101
Admiral

Ortiz is a friggin' machine out there right now. Batting .727 so far in the World Series, 2 HRs, 2.115 OPS And all those numbers are considering that he was robbed of a Grand Slam in Game 1, so would be even higher otherwise...

Would be nice if they could get a few other guys going to go with him, though!

Lester's been big so far in the postseason, hoping he goes all-in tonight and they can come back to Fenway up 3-2. After feeling pretty crushed at the end of Game 3 (due to 2 nights in a row of sucking out loud at the end of games), starting to feel better here. Long way to go, but have 2 strong pitchers coming up and feels like a little momentum again.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old October 28 2013, 04:24 PM   #874
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Why would you throw a Fastball to Ortiz at this point is beyond me.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old October 28 2013, 06:37 PM   #875
Scout101
Admiral

With the stats he's putting up, why would you throw to him at all? He's seeing the ball about as big as a beach ball, really just not missing anything right now. 3 for 3 with a walk last night, just on fire.

Getting pretty close to the 'automatic walk' territory at this point. If you had bases-loaded, gotta take a hard look at whether you pitch to him even then. At this point, conceding the run may be the least painful thing you can do

This can't be doing anything but help his HOF chances. Just on sheer moments and presence, Ortiz should always have been a contender (you can take the PED argument however you like it). Guy's definitely been one of the more feared hitters in the league for a decade, face of a big franchise, good numbers, and is filling his resume with the big clutch moments. The more of these sorts of things he can pile in, the stronger the case to be made. If he can will them into a World Series ring by hitting .750 with HRs everywhere in full Beast Mode, might be time to start talking about DH being a valid HOF spot. Plus, he's not looked too shabby out at 1B the past couple days...
Old October 29 2013, 01:22 AM   #876
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

It;s to the point if the Red Sox win the seres they should really only award Ortiz, rename the damn team after him.

He's pretty much the only one on the team doing anything, which is why I don't believe the Sox can win it all.

I think the Red Sox blew it in the 7th. They could have had bases loaded two outs with Ortiz coming up. He could have scored 1+ with his eyes closed and his legs missing.

Last edited by bigdaddy; October 29 2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old October 29 2013, 03:54 AM   #877
Scout101
Admiral

He's having the kind of series where he's gotta have a decent chance at winning MVP even if the Sox don't end up winning! And yes, it has happened once (1960) where the MVP was from the losing team. Anyone else on either team even in the running so far? Holiday seems like the only guy that hasn't completely turtled here...

And while Ortiz is by far leading it for the Sox, Pedroia is doing just fine as well (.300 for the series, give or take?). After that, it starts to drop off pretty fast. Only reason that's not killing them is that the Cards aren't really doing any better. Pitching-wise, this has been a pretty special series to watch.
Old October 29 2013, 04:18 AM   #878
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The pitching tonight was amazing. A joy to watch. And the red Sox got on base a little more, which is nice.

And if they win on Wednesday it will be on my birthday.
Old October 29 2013, 08:23 PM   #879
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ortiz has always been a real streaky hitter, but always seems to have a knack of getting hot when it matters. Three, four years ago people were saying he was done too.

Still think he's the poster boy on what's wrong with the DH considering how poorly he fields first the few times a year he has to.
Old October 29 2013, 08:35 PM   #880
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

When he's batting .733 in the world series, how he fields doesn't really matter, does it?
Old October 29 2013, 09:01 PM   #881
Scout101
Admiral

Not really seeing what his problems at first base are at the moment. Seems like he's played it just fine whenever asked. Not flashing crazy range, but not doing anything to hurt you. He doesn't HAVE to play 1B most of the time, so not really an issue, but when we go to NL parks, not like anyone's afraid to put him out there. Is he really that much worse than the 'superior' NL sluggers playing 1B? Or any of the other statues out playing LF (or 3B for ARod or Miggy) in the field? The narrative seems to be that Ortiz can't play the field (because he hasn't really had to), but seems whenever he does, he's fine. Went back and looked, he played more than I remembered in '03 and '04. Wasn't awful. Not gonna get a gold glove, but not why they're paying him the big bucks.

And for the argument about how he has time to go down and take swings or study film in between at bats and that's why he's so good? He played all 3 games in the WS at 1B and didn't seem to slow down his batting at all...

Plus, just don't want to see the pitcher bat, it looks like a Little Leaguer up at the plate, just pathetic. Kinda the opposite of how Ortiz looks at the plate, where he looks like he's taking pitches from LL'ers at the moment

And yeah, when he's 11 for 15 or whatever (again, that factors in a grand slam that was taken away over the wall by Beltran), he can do whatever he wants. Guy's on FIRE right now.
Old October 29 2013, 11:14 PM   #882
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I don't see the issue with him at first. He did a fine job, catch the balls when needed. In the later innings they replace him so they can pick people off of first. I never saw a moment when I went "Oh boy he really can't play first".

And he is the only reason why the Sox are ahead and haven't already lost. There was talk of him only playing 2 of the 3 games but the way he was hitting screw that. Now we can go back to Fenway, he can bring life to the end of the hitting order and either win at Fenway for the first time in 100 years or lose at Fenway for the first time since 1986. Should be fun to watch.
Old October 30 2013, 06:16 AM   #883
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

In 1986 they lost Game 7 at Shea. I was too young to follow the Mets then but have seen the replay ad nauseum.
Old October 30 2013, 02:03 PM   #884
Tom
Rear Admiral

The Red Sox have 2 chances to win it all in front of there home fans. There hitting lineup back to full strength! Got to love there chances!
Old October 30 2013, 02:07 PM   #885
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
In 1986 they lost Game 7 at Shea. I was too young to follow the Mets then but have seen the replay ad nauseum.
Really? My bad.

So the Sox will either win or lose at home for the first time in a long time.

The Sox have hitting? When did that happen?