Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old October 11 2013, 09:27 PM   #766
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Scout101 wrote: View Post
And honestly, they don't sound any different calling the As/Tigers game than they have calling the Red Sox games, so they come across pretty well and not so much a couple of homers. No John Stirling, anyway
I was talking about the Detroit radio team. I don't know who they are, but they were definitely homers, and insulting ones at that.

(I don't have cable, so I don't get TBS)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 12 2013, 12:02 AM   #767
Scout101
Admiral

Ah, disregard then

I was obviously talking about the TBS tv announcers, which are the duo that does the Red Sox NESN broadcast during the regular season...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old October 12 2013, 12:17 AM   #768
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Eh? I thought the Red Sox TV guys were Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy. Have they changed things around?

Me, I'm hoping for a Tigers win in this world series. The city could sure use the boost.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old October 12 2013, 12:19 AM   #769
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Heard the same about Kuroda, possible. If you throw another 16M at him, maybe he stays one more year.

Think you're *overly optimistic* about the rotation. Maybe CC bounces back, but do you really expect him to go right back to being an ace? Lot of miles on that flabby arm. 16-18 wins for Pineda seems a tad high, seeing as how he's not thrown a single pitch for you in the two years you've had him. Big jump from 0 to 18. Nova has that potential, I suppose, but isn't exactly trending up over the last 3 years (the opposite). Robertson might be the area that's of least concern, at least he's healthy and can play. Rivera aside, "Official team closer" doesn't have to be as big a deal as it's made out to be. Check out the Sox this year, who took 4 tries before finding one that stuck this year...

As for Jeter? Come on. All the respect in the world for him, but he IS a liability in the field. Always used to be (spare me the gold glove talk, not exactly an advanced metric, and rewards flash over substance), and he's slowed down a LOT over the past couple years. This one has been beat to death on sports websites, no need to rehash. Other than to say Jeter's little jump and throw move looks flashy, but takes longer and gets less on the ball than a real throw every time. Seen that broken down on tape a lot

Here you go, with pictures, video, and gif files to show the proof. The metrics show Jeter costing something around 230-260 runs over his career...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-jeter-defense

Glad you liked the TBS coverage of the As/Tigers game: thats' the Red Sox announcing crew. With Eckersley filling in for Remy. Hope that part stays permanent, Eck is a fantastic addition to the booth.
Yeah, I'm a fan...

But I watch no less that 145 games a year. Been doin that for about 7 years.

The numbers can say one thing, but I haven't seen us lose a game because Derek's defense yet.
Old October 12 2013, 04:05 AM   #770
Skywalker
Admiral

George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
^ Eh? I thought the Red Sox TV guys were Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy. Have they changed things around?
Jerry Remy missed most of the latter portion of the season because his son is in some serious legal trouble, so he stepped away from the booth to focus on that. Eckersley has been NESN's primary replacement (he usually works as an in-studio analyst on their pre- and post-game shows), and I agree with Scout that Eck's been excellent in the booth. I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him become Remy's permanent replacement, but I don't see that happening.
Old October 12 2013, 06:34 PM   #771
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
George Steinbrenner wrote: View Post
Jerry Remy missed most of the latter portion of the season because his son is in some serious legal trouble, so he stepped away from the booth to focus on that. Eckersley has been NESN's primary replacement (he usually works as an in-studio analyst on their pre- and post-game shows), and I agree with Scout that Eck's been excellent in the booth. I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him become Remy's permanent replacement, but I don't see that happening.
Agreed; I like Eck. I've enjoyed them bringing in other pitchers from the past, like Timlin, too.
Old October 13 2013, 04:54 AM   #772
Use of Time
Commodore

I love the way playoff baseball is managed. When is the last time you saw a guy get pulled after six with a no hitter in progress?
Old October 13 2013, 05:08 AM   #773
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

...and the Tigers take game 1.
Old October 13 2013, 02:32 PM   #774
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

No offense to Red Sox fans, but SUCK IT RED SOX!
SUCK IT DODGERS! (true offense meant to Dodgers fans - I hate you.)

That said, I still think we'll see a Dodgers/Sox series.
Old October 13 2013, 03:10 PM   #775
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I predict it will be a rematch of the '06 series: Tigers/Cardinals.
Old October 13 2013, 04:05 PM   #776
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Are we witnessing some damn GREAT pitching or what!!!
Old October 13 2013, 07:50 PM   #777
Scout101
Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I love the way playoff baseball is managed. When is the last time you saw a guy get pulled after six with a no hitter in progress?
What's that have to do with playoff baseball? Pretty sure that would have happened in regular season as well. The guy was at 116 pitches after 6. Is there ANY realistic expectation that he goes 3 more innings without ruining his career? It's because it was only 6 innings that it made it EASY to pull him, not harder. It was pretty much a no-brainer from a managing standpoint.

He wasn't going to go the distance, so what was the 'ballsy' way that was managed? Would have been stupid to let him go back out there, he's at 140 after 7 (he was pretty much doing 20ish an inning), was he going to stay in for all 9 and run up 180 pitches? Come on. Maybe you can squeeze one more inning out of him, but it took him too many pitches to get there, he was never going to finish. Would have only been a ballsy move for the manager if he does that when the pitcher's only got 80 or so pitches. Then there's something to talk about.
That said, it was one hell of a performance last night. Ended up a 1-hitter, and even on the Sox side, 1 run on what, 5-6 hits? Pretty tight game all around.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old October 13 2013, 08:13 PM   #778
Use of Time
Commodore

What's that have to do with playoff baseball? Pretty sure that would have happened in regular season as well. The guy was at 116 pitches after 6. Is there ANY realistic expectation that he goes 3 more innings without ruining his career? It's because it was only 6 innings that it made it EASY to pull him, not harder. It was pretty much a no-brainer from a managing standpoint.

He wasn't going to go the distance, so what was the 'ballsy' way that was managed? Would have been stupid to let him go back out there, he's at 140 after 7 (he was pretty much doing 20ish an inning), was he going to stay in for all 9 and run up 180 pitches? Come on. Maybe you can squeeze one more inning out of him, but it took him too many pitches to get there, he was never going to finish. Would have only been a ballsy move for the manager if he does that when the pitcher's only got 80 or so pitches. Then there's something to talk about.
That said, it was one hell of a performance last night. Ended up a 1-hitter, and even on the Sox side, 1 run on what, 5-6 hits? Pretty tight game all around.
I know. I was watching college football pretty much most of the day so I had no idea what his pitch count was. The only reason I flipped over was because of the little banner at the bottom of the screen tipping me off that the Sox were on the verge of getting no-hit in the eighth. It's not surprising that his pitch count ended up high. I caught the first two innings and it seemed like every batter he faced was seeing a full count. Didn't he walk a ton of people too?

Last edited by Use of Time; October 13 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old October 13 2013, 09:21 PM   #779
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Didn't CC Sabathia get pulled after 8 no-hit innings a year or so ago? It wasn't even in the playoffs.
Old October 14 2013, 03:02 PM   #780
Scout101
Admiral

Well, not too shabby a day to be a Boston fan! Brady gets a last-second TD for the win in the Pats game, and then after getting held down AGAIN by Detroit pitching all day, Ortiz does, well, what Ortiz does, and tied it in the 8th with a grand slam, and the Sox follow it up with a walkoff hit in the 9th. Great come from behind win, something this team has been doing all year, just refuses to admit they lose...
Closed Thread