Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old August 18 2013, 04:11 AM   #556
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

News: Starlin Castro pulled from yet another game for being a lazy mental midget, sky blue, water wet.

Views: Six more years.
Old August 18 2013, 04:56 AM   #557
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Moral of the story: Let the players go through arbitration negotiations even after a good year. There's a good reason it takes a player six years before they can become a free agent. Consistency is good before offering a long term contract.
Old August 18 2013, 03:20 PM   #558
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

R. Star wrote: View Post
Moral of the story: Let the players go through arbitration negotiations even after a good year.
This really isn't true in many cases. When a player is absolutely lights-out, like Giancarlo Stanton or Albert Pujols, then, yes, you absolutely get a long-term deal in place, because otherwise you're going to get taken to the cleaners as soon as the player is arb-eligible.

The problem with the Castro deal was that a ten-second look at his peripherals would have told you that his offense is entirely BABIP-dependent, and that combined with his allergy to walks means that he's barely league-average. Now that his BABIP has fallen back down to a reasonable level (.292, last I checked), he's been exposed. That 71 OPS+ makes me physically ill every time I compare that to his contract.

I said it years ago and I'll say it again: Hendry was a goddamned moron for not selling high on him. It's not like every other previously "untouchable" Cubs prospect (Vitters, Stewart, Patterson, Pie) didn't flame out into total dogshit.
Old August 18 2013, 05:19 PM   #559
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

The steaming mess my dog just made takes exception to that.
Old August 18 2013, 06:22 PM   #560
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Timby wrote: View Post
SmoothieX wrote: View Post
The Phillies are the NL Yankees - aging players with bloated, long term contracts and a depleted farm system.

I don't see the rationale for canning Manuel with weeks left in a lost season. The guy has had a bunch of good years there with a title thrown in. Unless this is an on the job audition for Sandberg, they could have just waited until the day after the season to wack him.
The difference between the Yankees and the Phillies is that the Yankees' woes are largely due to the business guys like Levine running the show, and Hal Steinbrenner's Project 189 madness. The Phillies' problem is that a certifiable lunatic who once said "I don't care about walks" is in charge of their front office.

Manuel wasn't even under contract after this season, which makes the firing all the more bizarre.
All absolutely true. However, I do think it's more than Amaro. I think the entire organization has problems that are symbolized by that hiring and it isn't as simple as replacing him.

Organization, not Manual, is the reason the reason the Phillies were a bad team

The easy course of action is to call for the ouster of Amaro, who effectively painted himself with a well-deserved bull's-eye by dispatching Manuel. But firing the GM won't do a thing if the philosophy that resulted in his hiring remains the same. When the Phillies traded Lee before acquiring Roy Halladay, it was a panicky move indicative of a franchise not yet comfortable with life as a big-revenue power player. Four years later, that sensibility remains in an environment where contracts sometimes seem as if they are awarded as much for patronage as for merit, where players' past performances are valued more than their future projections, where exhaustive data and proven trends are ignored because of an unwillingness to do things in way that is different from the way they have always been done.

Ever since the Phillies said goodbye to Pat Gillick and the significant power bequeathed to him, the organization's trajectory has looked suspiciously like those often produced by that hideous beast we call bureaucracy, where progressive mindsets and the will to challenge status quos are steamrolled by the slow plod of inertia along the path of least resistance. The Phillies are a fossilized dinosaur inside a glacier, content to watch the rest of civilization drift away, convinced that the space between is growing at a manageable pace. Except the pace is not manageable, because progress is exponential. As the Phillies wait for the next great thaw, an organization such as the Rays busies itself making decisions that, while difficult, are necessary to engender new growth. They rebuild their bullpen every season at a fraction of the amount the Phillies spend on theirs. They buy at the bottom of the market and sell at the top. They do not express bewilderment at the declining performance and injuries typical of veterans. They make the changes that allow them to field a team that comes as close to reaching their model of success as their resources afford.

Yesterday, Charlie Manuel exited his office for the last time, disappearing down a tunnel that spilled out into the fading August light and the world that lies beyond Citizens Bank Park.

He was the lucky one.
Old August 18 2013, 10:45 PM   #561
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

I really just want to know what the hell the Cubs management team is smoking to justify giving Castro anything at all.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Old August 19 2013, 01:48 AM   #562
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
SmoothieX wrote: View Post
The Phillies are the NL Yankees - aging players with bloated, long term contracts and a depleted farm system.

I don't see the rationale for canning Manuel with weeks left in a lost season. The guy has had a bunch of good years there with a title thrown in. Unless this is an on the job audition for Sandberg, they could have just waited until the day after the season to wack him.
The difference between the Yankees and the Phillies is that the Yankees' woes are largely due to the business guys like Levine running the show, and Hal Steinbrenner's Project 189 madness. The Phillies' problem is that a certifiable lunatic who once said "I don't care about walks" is in charge of their front office.

Manuel wasn't even under contract after this season, which makes the firing all the more bizarre.
All absolutely true. However, I do think it's more than Amaro. I think the entire organization has problems that are symbolized by that hiring and it isn't as simple as replacing him.
That article is kind of silly, though. Rube is the senior vice president and general manager of the Phillies -- he sets the tone. It's as simple as that.

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
I really just want to know what the hell the Cubs management team is smoking to justify giving Castro anything at all.
My hunch has always been that Epstein and Hoyer felt they were locking down a cost-controlled young shortstop who hadn't yet been totally exposed as a knucklehead with no sense for the strike zone, with the hopes of flipping him for genuine assets (to a moron like Rube, for example). The move has clearly backfired, however.
Old August 19 2013, 03:21 PM   #563
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

In good organizations, that's true. However, the Phillies have been known in the past to have key decisions made by box office people or marketing people as well. Chase Utley bobbleheads attract crowds, so it makes sense to give him an extension. Things like that.

Certainly, Amaro has been terrible for us. I'm just not convinced we would do better with a replacement without a change in organizational thinking unless the replacement is something with such a strong track record that he could command the influence to overrule the other players making these decisions.
Old August 20 2013, 01:17 AM   #564
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The Angels have shut down Albert Pujols for the remainder of the season, because his plantar fasciitis is getting out of control.

Oh, what's that I said about signing Pujols to a long-term contract?

Anyone with half a brain knew that Pujols' contract demands were insane, and this is why I am so very glad that the Cubs only gave him a half-hearted short-term contract offer. Pujols was 32, had a well-documented history of elbow issues, and the little issue of his long-term plantar fasciitis, which is by itself a massive red flag due to its degenerative nature, and the Angels signed him into his 40s. It won't even be five years until that contract is an albatross; I fully expect him to have a pretty big decline as soon as next year. He could have an even more calamitous drop than A-Rod, who can at least put up the defense that both his hips appear to be grinding to dust.
However: As I pointed out in my earlier post, not only will Pujols be 32 at the time that he signs a free-agent contract, he's going to do so with a history of elbow problems and, more importantly, plantar fasciitis, which isn't a condition that gets better. Quite the opposite: It's degenerative. Granted, the foot issue hasn't been a huge problem for the last few years, but it's there. Any team that wants to sign Pujols next winter will essentially be asked to sign him to a retirement contract. There are so many red flags with his health, though, that it's incredibly risky to do so. I'd be hesitant to sign him for even seven years, to say nothing about a ten-year deal.
Whatup.
Old August 20 2013, 01:43 PM   #565
Use of Time
Commodore

You nailed it. This contract will easily surpass A-Rod's as one of the worst decisions of all time. At least the Yankees got some production out of A-Rod in the early years of his contract. Pujols is in his second year and has come nowhere near his productivity from St. Louis.

I'm interested to see how the Joey Votto contract plays out. I'm also curious about the kind of deal that Robinson Cano is going to try to get.
Old August 21 2013, 05:04 AM   #566
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Whatever team ponies up $30M/year for 8-10 years for Cano is out of their mind.

His numbers are solid but not earth shattering, he dogs it out there too often, and do you really want a 39 year old 2B whose range is shot. I will give him credit for being durable though.

This screams Dodgers or Angels to me. Maybe back to NY if they go full blown panic mode this offseason.
Old August 21 2013, 03:36 PM   #567
Use of Time
Commodore

Baseball still can't get fines and suspensions right. Apparently Girardi had a higher fine than Dempster because you know...arguing about the deed is somehow worse than commiting the deed. That and Dempster may not even miss a start during his "5 game suspension."
Old August 21 2013, 08:03 PM   #568
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well Girardi did go nuts during that game. I like Dempster a lot, and think A-Rod is a jerk, but yeah... he made his point with that first pitch. Throwing three more inside until he finally hits him is excessive. I think the Umps did the right thing by warning both benches though, because sure enough they Yanks would've been throwing at them next inning. A ten game suspension for Dempster would've been in order. At least he would've missed a start. He's just going to get his next start pushed back a day now.
Old August 21 2013, 11:31 PM   #569
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't think I've ever seen any human being as angry as Girardi was (and, IMHO, it was completely justified). This put George Brett (the Pine Tar Game) to shame.

As for Dempster: The suspension has absolutely no teeth. He won't suffer any kind of penalty. He gets paid, he won't miss a start, and the team will surely pay the fine. @#(%* him. (FWIW, as much as I love the Yankees, I don't particularly like A-Rod either.)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old August 22 2013, 02:19 AM   #570
Use of Time
Commodore

And Heyward will most 4-6 weeks with a broken jaw after eating a Jon Niese fastball this afternoon. Shit. I know they will have him back for the playoffs but he was finally on a role after being moved to the leadoff role. The Braves are dropping like flies. Pastornicky went down for the season last week. Looks like Jordan Schafer is going to get some playing time.