Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old June 15 2013, 03:29 AM   #316
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

I saw those suspensions and found them laughable. I guess they couldn't suspend their hot asset right now, which if that was the case makes the whole suspension thing a joke. They should take a lesson from the NHL Department of Player Safety, where if you hit someone in the shoulder, they can be suspended for the remainder of a playoff series.

As for the Giants game tonight, good win for the Giants and nice to see Madbum get a good start. Giants pitching this year has been suspect at best, so to see two good solid starts back to back from Cain and Bumgarner is a good thing.

sjsharksfan39
Old June 15 2013, 04:30 AM   #317
Use of Time
Commodore

What is even worse is it took them three days with multiple camera angles to sort it all out and they were still dead wrong. Take a look at Skip Schumaker. He did absolutely nothing and got two games. Puig took a blatant cheap shot at Hinske in the scrum as well.
Old June 15 2013, 09:37 PM   #318
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Eh, sometimes I think they just randomly hand out suspension sentences... because there's no consistency to how they're handed out as is.
Old June 15 2013, 11:20 PM   #319
Sran
Commodore

Use of Time wrote: View Post
The suspensions are in from the Dodgers/D-Backs Royal Rumble. Man, who the hell did Hinske piss off. 5 games? Even the Dodgers said he was part peacemaker part punching bag trying to keep people away from each other. Puig got nothing? I know he is the golden child right now but he was punching people over their shoulder. MLB is really bad at this.
I had the same thought. I didn't even realize Hinske was out there until I read the suspension list. That Puig didn't get even a single game is ridiculous. He was the primary instigator of the second part of the melee. MLB needs an overhaul.

--Sran
Old June 16 2013, 02:30 AM   #320
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Mark Teixeira is hurt again
Old June 16 2013, 09:23 PM   #321
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Fucking Marmol !
Old June 16 2013, 11:13 PM   #322
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

The Mets damn well needed that win, as did Nieuwenhuis.
Old June 17 2013, 03:00 AM   #323
Use of Time
Commodore

Tim Lincecum is never going to be ace material again. I think he knows he has to live off his offspeed stuff to survive as a starter but he doesn't seem to be mentally able to let go of being a fastball power pitcher. He has missed constantly tonight about two feet overhead with a four seam fastball that clocked in at 94. Thats decent velocity but he is wrenching his arm out of his socket to get there. He's kept the Giants in it tonight but he was sitting at 75 pitches after three innings. He needs to reinvent himself. Even if that means he is no longer the number one guy. He no longer has the ability to put guys away with two strikes.
Old June 17 2013, 03:15 AM   #324
Sran
Commodore

^Agreed. He's at a crossroads. Can he find another "out" pitch and allow his fastball to become more of decoy used to set up hitters, or will he go the way of Dwight Gooden, who never accepted that he wasn't a power pitcher after shoulder surgery took away so much of his velocity. Time will tell.

--Sran
Old June 17 2013, 03:36 AM   #325
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The Mets damn well needed that win, as did Nieuwenhuis.
I want to F'ing explode, the Mess throwing the ball around like 7 year old little league. Give up two runs on three, count them three throwing errors. So many players playing out of position. Put Lucas Duda at First Base. Move Daniel Murphy back to second and put Valdespin in Left Field.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old June 17 2013, 03:59 AM   #326
Sran
Commodore

^The constant tinkering with the Mets lineup makes me think Jerry Manuel is still running the team.

--Sran
Old June 17 2013, 05:18 AM   #327
Use of Time
Commodore

I'm a believer in Teheran now. He is finally showing us why he was a top prospect. He had a fantastic May and he showed that he can battle when he gets into jams. At 22 years old I think he is going to end up being the ace of this Braves staff very soon.
Old June 17 2013, 06:45 AM   #328
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I'm a believer in Teheran now. He is finally showing us why he was a top prospect. He had a fantastic May and he showed that he can battle when he gets into jams. At 22 years old I think he is going to end up being the ace of this Braves staff very soon.
Teheran's young and he's still got time to continue refining his stuff, but his HR/9 is a little bothersome. Right now, a similar analogue would be Juan Cruz, and the Cubs wrecked him by expecting him to be their ace when he was 23. I wouldn't slap the "future ace" label on him just yet, especially when he got hammered at AAA last year, so he's really only got one good month against major league batters to make his case. In any event, he's got a good to very good fastball, but that's the pitch that hitters tee off on for dingers, and while his slider is great when it's on, if he hangs it, he hangs it, and that thing gets blown to the moon.
Old June 17 2013, 07:02 AM   #329
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Fucking Marmol !
Yeah... this. We were winning and I doze off for ONE inning... and it's enough for him to blow the game.
Old June 17 2013, 12:49 PM   #330
Use of Time
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
Teheran's young and he's still got time to continue refining his stuff, but his HR/9 is a little bothersome. Right now, a similar analogue would be Juan Cruz, and the Cubs wrecked him by expecting him to be their ace when he was 23. I wouldn't slap the "future ace" label on him just yet, especially when he got hammered at AAA last year, so he's really only got one good month against major league batters to make his case. In any event, he's got a good to very good fastball, but that's the pitch that hitters tee off on for dingers, and while his slider is great when it's on, if he hangs it, he hangs it, and that thing gets blown to the moon.
Yep. The HR/9 isn't all that great but most of that was attributed to his April starts. AAA numbers from last year are useless at this point as he is not even using the same pitches. He was retrained to live off the two-seamer and it has made a world of difference. When you see him dial it up to 94 or 95 you know he is using the four seamer again and that ball has a tendency to get hit if its flat. He needs to live around 91 or 92 with the two seamer and mix in that nasty hook. He's got putaway stuff for sure. That and just getting him big league innings has been a big help. He can still give up a bomb with the best of them but power pitchers will always be prone to that.

I'm not saying he has to be the ace now. The Braves know that and have labeled him their five starter. I'm saying Ace when Hudson and Maholm move on in about three years or so. Hudson will probably be gone sooner. He is declining rapidly.

I'm just wondering what happens when Beachy gets back which should be pretty soon.