RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 880
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 31 2013, 09:59 AM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Sisko intimidates Worf

Dream wrote: View Post
Picard can be very intimidating if he wants. Witness the scene in "Lower Decks" when he gives Ensign Sito a very stern dressing down down for something she did in her past. Also as the Klingon Arbiter of Succession he can curse with the best of them.

Picard lets Riker and Troi handle whatever issues his crew might have, since he might look a little unapproachable to the regular crew. He is certainly the most "serious" of the five captains we have gotten to know over the years.
Picard's intimidating because he's the wise, cultured man teething with moral superiority and who's disappointment really is hard to bear.

Sisko's intimidating because he may punch you in the face at any moment. Different command styles.
Old March 31 2013, 06:50 PM   #17
bluepicard27
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Location: the village of glenfinnan on the shores of loch shiel

i think its because sisko had done alot of action-y in his career the tzenkethi war,wolf 359 ,punching Q hes a proven warrior.
picard gets his respect in a sort "dont lip me off ive been doing this a very long time" sort of way.
so in worf's eyes sisko probably gets alot respect in that way.
bluepicard27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Worf'sParmach
Commander

I think it makes perfect sense that Worf is so "subserviant" to authority and therefore is intimidated by a superior. He thrives under strong leadership and kind of falters when left to his own devices. As a Klingon, I'm sure its a great honor to serve loyally under a worthy leader. I thought it was a nice little character nugget that Worf is intimidated hy sisko and there is definitely evidence that he probably feels the same way about Picard and even Martok.
Old April 22 2013, 03:46 AM   #19
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
I think it makes perfect sense that Worf is so "subserviant" to authority and therefore is intimidated by a superior. He thrives under strong leadership and kind of falters when left to his own devices. As a Klingon, I'm sure its a great honor to serve loyally under a worthy leader. I thought it was a nice little character nugget that Worf is intimidated hy sisko and there is definitely evidence that he probably feels the same way about Picard and even Martok.
I'm not sure Worf is intimidated by Picard. He flat got right in Picard's face in First Contact when Picard called him a coward. I can't see Worf doing that with Sisko.
Old April 22 2013, 03:49 AM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Of course the possibility exists that Dax, who's known for her mischievous nature, did just make that up to yank Sisko's chain.
Old April 22 2013, 04:31 AM   #21
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
It's the goatee and shaved head. If only Picard had known...
One of Sisko's ancestors must of been Hawk
Old April 22 2013, 05:04 AM   #22
commanderkai
Lieutenant

I'd attribute it to a few things.

1) Sisko punched Q. I'm sure once news of that hit the Enterprise, and the lack of any following visits from Q anytime after that incident, the Enterprise crew (not Voyager, though, since Q was nowhere near as much of a pain in the butt in that show) never, ever imagined punching Q, ever.

2) Sisko just seemed more...disciplinarian, than Picard. Rules of Engagement, The Ship, Sons of Mogh, and any incident where Sisko was unhappy with Worf (any anybody else), he was more than happy to...voice his displeasure.

3) Sisko was, as a few other people put it, more of a general compared to Picard. His plans during Apocalypse Rising, and other incidents where there was the expectation of heavy combat, Sisko was always there with his men and women. Those sorts of things garner respect, especially to Worf and his Klingon cultural heritage.
commanderkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 06:33 AM   #23
Paper Moon
Commander

Infern0 wrote: View Post
Sisko is more liable to go crazy at any moment, he gets his hands dirty with his crew.

Picard generally let Riker deal with the disciplinary issues, Riker his Picard's "muscle"

Sisko didn't have a real first officer like Picard had, well he had Kira but she was her own woman and worked "alongside" rather than "with" or "for" Sisko. And Jadzia wasn't the one to deal with that kind of thing.

The dynamic aboard enterprise was different, notice in First Contact Riker had to be not on the bridge when Worf kicked off because otherwise the writers would have had to have him do something.

Notice the symbolism a lot of Riker standing just behind picard, staring. Also note that while Picard is a small, older man Riker is a lot younger and a big brutish looking man.

He's his henchman
I really like this analysis! I think it becomes less true as the show goes on, but you're right, Kira does not work "for" Sisko in the same way Riker worked for Picard. Riker and Picard definitely were a "yin-and-yang" combo in a way that Sisko and Kira never were.

R. Star wrote: View Post
Of course the possibility exists that Dax, who's known for her mischievous nature, did just make that up to yank Sisko's chain.
Haha, this seems very plausible to me.

I think the whole Q thing is more a symptom than a cause. I doubt Worf heard about Sisko punching Q through the grapevine 3-and-a-half years after it happened and then, all of a sudden, said, "Hmm. Captain Sisko intimidates me." (Nor do I think the story would've spread across the fleet.)
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 07:03 AM   #24
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Worf is intimidated by Sisko because he knows that is Sisko doesn't punch him the he'll set Kira on him instead
Old April 22 2013, 11:27 AM   #25
Shaka Zulu
Captain

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Sadara wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
It probably came from when he learned Sisko punched Q. Even deep down Worf didn't have the brass to hit Q as much as he disliked him.
Even Q couldn't believe it. "You hit me! Picard never hit me!
Let's also remember Q went on state that Picard was not as easily provoked to rash action. I say that even though I greatly liked the Sisko character far more than Picard.
Let's also not forget another person that intimidated Q-Janeway. Janeway wouldn't stand for any shit from Q or his wife, and also was able to make his son come to heel when she had to 'tutor' him because his father couldn't.

commanderkai wrote: View Post
1) Sisko punched Q. I'm sure once news of that hit the Enterprise, and the lack of any following visits from Q anytime after that incident, the Enterprise crew (not Voyager, though, since Q was nowhere near as much of a pain in the butt in that show) never, ever imagined punching Q, ever.
As I implied previously when mentioning Janeway, the knowledge of Q passed to all Starfleet commanders meant that he could be dealt with by future ones like Sisko & Janeway.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 10:11 PM   #26
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

At least in part it has to do with Sisko not giving a damn that Worf is this big, mean Klingon. I'd bet almost all of Worf's acquaintances were at least a little intimidated by him, including his commanders, but Sisko treats him exactly the same as everyone else - including dressing him down just as hard as anyone when he screws up.

Of course, there's also the fact that Sisko just isn't at all scared of Klingons in general. Probably not very many humans that can say that.