Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 29 2013, 09:27 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Dafydd ab Hugh

I recently picked up a copy of the first novel by Sarah Zettel, Reclamation -- and I noticed that the copyright page says "Copyright 1996 by Sarah Zettle." At least it's not on the cover, but I wonder about the legal ramifications of a copyright notice misspelling your name.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 10:08 PM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I recall at least one ghastly incident in which the usual copyright page boilerplate about how "This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to real people or events is entirely coincidental, etc." was accidentally included in a non-fiction book.

The author was not amused . . . .
Old March 29 2013, 10:31 PM   #33
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I recently picked up a copy of the first novel by Sarah Zettel, Reclamation -- and I noticed that the copyright page says "Copyright 1996 by Sarah Zettle."
That false rumor that Alan Dean Foster ghost-wrote Roddenberry's ST:TMP novelization was instigated by a French translation that left out the middle chunk of credits for the screenplay.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 11:15 PM   #34
Lonemagpie
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I remember that, based on Fallen Heroes and his non-Star Trek novel Arthur War Lord, people believed that Dafydd ab Hugh was a pseudonym for Peter David.
Pocket also misspelled Dafydd ab Hugh - as ""Daffyd ab Hugh" - on the three covers of the "Rebels" trilogy, and he once admitted that he didn't notice when he was acknowledging the advance cover slicks.

True story: Many years ago, I signed off on the cover mechanicals for a Damon Knight novel--without noticing that we had forgotten to put the author's name on the book.

Thankfully, I was able to get Knight on the phone before he received the cover flats in the mail!

"It was a mistake! We're going to fix it! And it will never happen again!"

He was actually very good-natured about it . . . .

I once got cover flats for one of my BBC books that had someone else's name on... (Steve Cole, IIRC)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 11:22 PM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

Pocket also misspelled Dafydd ab Hugh - as ""Daffyd ab Hugh" - on the three covers of the "Rebels" trilogy, and he once admitted that he didn't notice when he was acknowledging the advance cover slicks.

True story: Many years ago, I signed off on the cover mechanicals for a Damon Knight novel--without noticing that we had forgotten to put the author's name on the book.

Thankfully, I was able to get Knight on the phone before he received the cover flats in the mail!

"It was a mistake! We're going to fix it! And it will never happen again!"

He was actually very good-natured about it . . . .

I once got cover flats for one of my BBC books that had someone else's name on... (Steve Cole, IIRC)
I can top that. I once got a very nice royalty check . . . for a book written by another author.

And, yes, I did the decent thing and returned it!
Old March 29 2013, 11:46 PM   #36
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I've only read The Final Fury, and that was years ago, but I seem to remember being a nerdy teenager upset at the judicious use of photon torpedoes in the book. That was back when I thought Trek would be concerned with continuity and that even the novels would respect that and not use up a limited resource. Silly me!

I do want to add that I loved the "Invasion!" story-line. And Hugh had a Hell of a job following up L.A. Graf's Time's Enemy, which, at that point in time might have been my favorite Trek novel.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 12:52 AM   #37
Lonemagpie
Writer

I can top that. I once got a very nice royalty check . . . for a book written by another author.

And, yes, I did the decent thing and returned it!
Curse that inability to replicate signatures accurately...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 01:40 AM   #38
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

That false rumor that Alan Dean Foster ghost-wrote Roddenberry's ST:TMP novelization was instigated by a French translation that left out the middle chunk of credits for the screenplay.
I thought it would be because he also ghostwrote the Star Wars movie novelization, which was credited to George Lucas, and wrote pretty much every sci-fi movie novelization in the 1970s and 80s.

Now that I think about it...yeah, he was credited with the TMP story.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 03:35 AM   #39
Christopher
Writer

Dantheman wrote: View Post
I thought it would be because he also ghostwrote the Star Wars movie novelization, which was credited to George Lucas, and wrote pretty much every sci-fi movie novelization in the 1970s and 80s.
They're both factors in the origin of the rumor. I've also heard Foster wrongly attributed with ghostwriting the Close Encounters of the Third Kind novelization, which was actually ghostwritten by Leslie Waller.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 06:29 AM   #40
iarann
Lieutenant

Christopher wrote: View Post
I recently picked up a copy of the first novel by Sarah Zettel, Reclamation -- and I noticed that the copyright page says "Copyright 1996 by Sarah Zettle." At least it's not on the cover, but I wonder about the legal ramifications of a copyright notice misspelling your name.
I might be mistaken, I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I'm fairly certain the Copyright Act of 1976 fixed the law so mistakes like that don't cause the legal issues they used to.
Old March 30 2013, 08:02 AM   #41
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Dantheman wrote: View Post

Now that I think about it...yeah, he was credited with the TMP story.
Yes, the news was never supposed to break that he ghostwrote "Star Wars" for Lucas. But the incorrect attribution to the first French edition of the TMP novelization had people connecting the dots.
Old March 30 2013, 05:13 PM   #42
Daddy Todd
Captain

Yes, the news was never supposed to break that (ADF) ghostwrote "Star Wars" for Lucas. But the incorrect attribution to the first French edition of the TMP novelization had people connecting the dots.
And yet, I seem to remember that ADF's ghost-authorship of the Star Wars novelization was alluded to pretty heavily back around the time Splinter of the Mind's Eye was published. I could get up off my butt and go look through the relevant issues of Starlog, but...

Anyhow, I was aware at least by February of 1986, when I had ADF autograph my first-printing copy (the one with the RMcQ cover and no photo insert) of Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker (as it was originally titled.)
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2013, 07:29 PM   #43
shanejayell
Captain

Getting back on topic...

What's the 'window' for writing a trillogy like Rebels anyway? Was it approved and mostly written before the final season showed how bad Kai Wynn was?
Old March 30 2013, 07:45 PM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

shanejayell wrote: View Post
Getting back on topic...

What's the 'window' for writing a trillogy like Rebels anyway? Was it approved and mostly written before the final season showed how bad Kai Wynn was?
There's usually a considerable lead time, except for "rush" projects like movie novelizations.

Just for example, I wrote The Weight of Worlds (which went on sale this week) last summer during a heat wave . . . and the outline had been approved weeks or months before I started writing the book. (I had a few other projects I needed to finish up first.)
Old March 30 2013, 09:39 PM   #45
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
And yet, I seem to remember that ADF's ghost-authorship of the Star Wars novelization was alluded to pretty heavily back around the time Splinter of the Mind's Eye was published. I could get up off my butt and go look through the relevant issues of Starlog, but...
Who's disagreeing? I said, "the news was never supposed to break".