IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old March 29 2013, 05:27 PM   #76
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

Re: The Dashcam Chronicles

ok whats the point in giving a green light to both cars and pedestrians? if thats how it is you have to expect minor shit like this happening

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 29 2013, 05:30 PM   #77
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I don't want to be overly critical of FC here, but one thing that annoyed me was, yes, what some of the other drivers did was dumb, giving very short notice about changing lanes and squeezing into tight spots, but if you see an idiot do that, why not slow down and give him a little more space?
Old March 29 2013, 05:31 PM   #78
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

junxon wrote: View Post
ok whats the point in giving a green light to both cars and pedestrians? if thats how it is you have to expect minor shit like this happening
When would you suggest the pedestrians be given the opportunity to cross? When traffic is traveling perpendicular to them from the main road? The green light here is for those either going straight or turning left or right. If there are pedestrians, they yield to them. If not, they proceed through the intersection. It's not all that complicated.

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I don't want to be overly critical of FC here, but one thing that annoyed me was, yes, what some of the other drivers did was dumb, giving very short notice about changing lanes and squeezing into tight spots, but if you see an idiot do that, why not slow down and give him a little more space?
How much more space am I supposed to give them? The space they're taking up is what was once my buffer area between the car in front of me. So because they're an impatient douchebag who for whatever reason couldn't just slide over behind me (in every instance I wish I also had a rear facing camera because there was never *anyone* behind me) I should slow down even further and just let them on in? I see what you're saying but I'm not going to go out of my way to make it easier for them to be a jerk. I'm not going to speed up and make it impossible for them to get over or nearly cause an accident but I won't make the feel comfortable about the dick move they just made. It's people like the that cause traffic jams by making the driver they just cut off have to slow down to make room for them.
Old March 29 2013, 05:37 PM   #79
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

make them cross when all the traffic has a red light. simple.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 29 2013, 05:44 PM   #80
Roger Wilco
Admiral

^^
Make the pedestrians wait you mean.
Old March 29 2013, 05:44 PM   #81
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

So *all* traffic has to come to a complete stop to allow pedestrians to cross instead of allowing traffic to proceed when it is clear and simply yielding for a brief moment while pedestrians cross?

I've seen some pretty poorly designed intersections here in California but I'm afraid this isn't one of them.
Old March 29 2013, 05:45 PM   #82
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

make all the cars stop for a few seconds. easy enough. seems to work in a lot of countries. no wonder americans can't handle roundabouts if this is a hard concept :P

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 29 2013, 05:52 PM   #83
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

It's not a hard concept, it just seems like it would disrupt the flow of traffic much more than a green light and yielding to the occasional pedestrian. It happens many times (I make that turn about 7 times a week if not more) where a ped is crossing and I have a green to turn right. I just stop for a few short seconds and then I'm on my way. Besides, we can turn right on a red light unless otherwise noted so I'd likely still be able to proceed after yielding to the peds anyway.
Old March 29 2013, 05:56 PM   #84
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

i'm going to blow your mind now: the pedestrians press a button when they want to cross that then makes it all go red for a few seconds. if there are no pedestrians it carries on as normal.

but anyway, this mild excursion into traffic flow solutions isn't really the point of this thread.

at the start of this thread i was vaguely on board with your video idea, but expecting everyone to agree with you has caused a reversal of my original position.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 29 2013, 05:57 PM   #85
Roger Wilco
Admiral

i'm going to blow your mind now: the pedestrians press a button when they want to cross that then makes it all go red for a few seconds. if there are no pedestrians it carries on as normal.
And I'm going to blow your mind: Almost always those buttons are actually not functional and the only purpose is to make pedestrians feel better about waiting.
Old March 29 2013, 06:01 PM   #86
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

hey they work where i am. not my fault your local traffic authority or whatever are lying to you

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Old March 29 2013, 06:04 PM   #87
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

hey they work where i am. not my fault your local traffic authority or whatever are lying to you
That's what you think...
Old March 29 2013, 06:06 PM   #88
Rusty Nova
Fleet Captain

i press the button it goes red.

i don't press the button, it doesn't go red.

where's the conspiracy?

actually, if you're meant to wait for pedestrians to cross even if it's green, doesn't that mean the 'green light get out of the way' video is pointless then?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

Last edited by Rusty Nova; March 29 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old March 29 2013, 07:01 PM   #89
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

i press the button it goes red.

i don't press the button, it doesn't go red.

where's the conspiracy?

actually, if you're meant to wait for pedestrians to cross even if it's green, doesn't that mean the 'green light get out of the way' video is pointless then?
*sigh* Notice which crosswalk the guy is in? That's not the side that gets to cross when my light is green. He had the solid red Do Not Walk when I had my green. It's the crosswalks going parallel to me that have the green.
Old March 29 2013, 07:03 PM   #90
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I don't know about you guys, but I for one am thrilled and relieved - yes, thrilled and relieved - that Flux has the free time, the resources, the ingenuity and the wherewithal to be out surreptitiously policing the streets for us, more concerned with capturing almost-accidents than with actual safe, defensive driving. Onward, good Christian soldier!
Closed Thread