MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 25 2013, 02:16 AM   #1
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Is Kirk a Well-Defined Character?

I have trouble figuring out who Kirk is sometimes. I'm not writing a story, but if I were I'd have to think hard about what Kirk is all about.

The other characters are pretty easy to define:

Spock was based on clearly stated traits, being logical and unemotional, and then Nimoy added some schtick (neck pinch, mind meld, hand salute). If you're writing STAR TREK, you know who Spock is.

McCoy is a slightly-Southern country doctor, has some old-fashioned sentiments and gripes that serve to highlight the futuristic trappings, and he also comes in as Spock's comic foil, harboring opposite personality traits.

Scotty and Chekov are heavily accented speakers and sometimes quite excitable. Scotty can fix anything and he drinks; Chekov thinks Russia is the greatest and he's still in need of lessons from his superiors. If Scotty tries to defend a girl, a powerful entity sends him flying (Who Mourns, Changeling, Zetar). Chekov doesn't do much better when the gloves come off (Tribbles, Spectre).

Sulu and Uhura get some traits started, in Man Trap and Tribbles, respectively. It doesn't really go anywhere for them, but they play such functionary roles that it doesn't matter much.

But Kirk? Apart from always having the best wild hunches and the best luck with longshot strategies, who is he? He seems to be defined by what he does in a given episode rather than a fixed personality.

Who is this guy, as a fictional character? When the movies got started, it seemed that Shatner had changed, and Kirk along with him. And Chris Pine of course is nothing like either of Shatner's Kirks. The character seems very open to interpretation.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 03:21 AM   #2
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: Is Kirk a Well-Defined Character?

Archetype of a whole, centered human. He sits at the center of a circle with fourness to it (the stairs around the bridge) with animus (Spock, rationality, on one side) and anima (passion, caring, McCoy) on t'other.

But yeah, specifics change from early S1 (nuanced, more military in bearing, but more self-doubt) to later in the show, not real introspective, the shat-kicking, Shana-kissing hero with yes, good instincts at command.
Old March 25 2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Metryq
Captain

Kirk is Everyman with a "devil" (Spock) and an "angel" (McCoy) each giving him counsel. That's a wide open formula for writing any story.
Old March 25 2013, 12:57 PM   #4
mos6507
Captain

Kirk's portrayal definitely has shifted all over the place. I think the more serious Kirk is how the writers wanted him, and the more whimsical Kirk is more of Shatner's influence. The best image of him, IMHO, is what you see in Khan, who is someone who is generally by-the-book but not cold.
Old March 25 2013, 02:02 PM   #5
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

All the characters in TOS are pretty inconsistent early on but by S2 I'd say Kirk, Spock and McCoy are very well-defined characters.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

plynch wrote: View Post
Archetype of a whole, centered human. He sits at the center of a circle with fourness to it (the stairs around the bridge) with animus (Spock, rationality, on one side) and anima (passion, caring, McCoy) on t'other.
I was going to use Ego, relative to the Superego and Id, but it's all the same thing...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I agree w/ all the above. I'm wondering if the hero character is also left slightly vague to allow the audience to empathize. They can fill in their own traits when viewing the hero.

Strangely, I never empathized w/ Kirk as much as w/ Spock, and others I've talked to had the same experience.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 09:30 PM   #8
plynch
Commodore

It was due to having many, many writers write for that character.

Spock is sympathetic as an outsider, with which role many of us can empathize.
Old March 25 2013, 11:38 PM   #9
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

There are some excellent essays in the Best of Trek books on writing Star Trek characters.

For me, it's also a matter of "I'm not 100% sure of what Kirk IS, but I can tell when somebody writes him how he ISN'T."

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 03:00 AM   #10
mach7
Commander

I think Kirk in the 1st and 2nd season is very well defined. He is the classic human hero leader. A strong, ethical, decisive and impartial(mostly) man who is outwardly confident with a well controlled sense of self questioning.

In season 3 I feel the writing for Kirk (and the rest) was not up to the first 2 and I think we saw more of Shatner's personality to compensate.

For those who have read the Patrick O'Brien Aubrey/Maturin books, I think Jack Aubrey and James Kirk are almost the same character.

BTW
I asked my wife, a very casual TOS watcher, to describe Kirk in 3 words.

She chose Cool, Confident, and Horny.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 04:46 AM   #11
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

mach7 wrote: View Post
I asked my wife, a very casual TOS watcher, to describe Kirk in 3 words.

She chose Cool, Confident, and Horny.
"Why not all three?"

Last edited by ZapBrannigan; March 26 2013 at 05:11 AM.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 05:53 AM   #12
golddragon71
Lieutenant

The thing about kirk is you almost have to go by how he's described from outside sources
Gary Mitchell recalled that Kirk at Starfleet Academy was a "stack of Books with legs...In his class you either think!...or SINK!!!" (Not the image Chris Pine instills at all so far imho)

Also the Shatner Kirk is classically read. He knows Milton (recognizes Khan's reference to Paradise Lost without any specific quotes)Pine's Kirk is no illiterate but his character does not strike one that has spent a great deal reading

Finally, Kirk Prime was a student of great commanders (not just Starfleet either)
He studied the work of Garth of Izar (His hero) General koor of the Klingon Empire, John Gill, etc...
Old March 27 2013, 02:57 AM   #13
plynch
Commodore

Thinking about Kirk (and the gang) is making me wistful. I was a 70s Star Trek kid, and these were my heroes who really did a pretty good job of teaching a person how to be. Hm.

It seems protagonists are more complicated/angsty now. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't watch a lot of pop culture.
Old March 27 2013, 03:22 AM   #14
Dale Sams
Captain

Given:

The events of Conscience of the King
He doesn't seem too broken up over his brother's death
*No* mention of parents until ST 11
Says he lost a brother once, then slyly says he meant Spock (ST:V)

I always thought of Kirk as being a self-made man with no real parental figures. Extremely driven.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 04:06 AM   #15
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Given:
The events of Conscience of the King
He doesn't seem too broken up over his brother's death
Exqueeze me?

"The Conscience of the King":

Begins on Stardate 2817.6.
Production date: Late September 1966.
Original broadcast date: Dec 8, 1966.

"Operation: Annihilate":

Begins on Stardate 3287.2.
Production date: Mid-February 1967.
Original broadcast date: April 13,1967.

Whichever way you figure it, the events of "Operation: Annihilate"-- the episode in which Kirk's brother Sam was killed -- take place after "Conscience of the King." The only other Trek TOS episode in which Kirk's brother is mentioned is "What are Little Girls Made Of?"

TMOST has a long, detailed description of Kirk's character and personality, but I don't have a scanner available at the moment.