Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 19 2013, 06:01 PM   #421
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: When did voyager go wrong?

I think you are missing my point, you said the British and the Scottish had been at odds since the 1300's, which isn't true. What I think you meant is that the English and Scottish have had some differences since the 1300's.

You said America sided with the English during WWII, which is true to a certain extend. But it wasn't England specifcially, but the United Kingdom of which England is a part that Ameriuca sided with as part of the Allied Powers.

Don't refer to England when you actually mean the United Kingdom.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:35 PM   #422
Brit
Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I think you are missing my point, you said the British and the Scottish had been at odds since the 1300's, which isn't true. What I think you meant is that the English and Scottish have had some differences since the 1300's.

You said America sided with the English during WWII, which is true to a certain extend. But it wasn't England specifcially, but the United Kingdom of which England is a part that Ameriuca sided with as part of the Allied Powers.

No I didn't, I completely understood that you saw what I said as wrong because I used British instead of English. I accept that you see these designations in a different way than what I meant. It apparently confused you. What you are seeming to miss is my explanation that I didn't mean "political states" at all, I meant "regional" or "cultural" differences that can occur within "political states".

Are you as careful in designating the difference between the United States, Canada, and Mexico when you use the word American?

Brit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:48 PM   #423
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

MacLeod wasn't talking about America. That lad was talking about Ameriuca. I'm not certain where Ameriuca is in the world, but it probably deserves our respect for some reason.

What I find interesting is that since the Union Jack Flag is a Voltronning of the English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish Flags, if one of these countries was to retire from the United Kingdom, that the Union Jack would have to be abandoned or changed to reflect some smaller Coalition... But would all the other countries in the world with a Union Jack on their Flag, like Australia, then change their tiny Union Jack or is keeping Britain happy trivial compared to the cost of altering that much stationery?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 10:59 PM   #424
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Someone will eventually drop the union jack out of the Australian flag amidst great pomp and ceremony, most likely a newly elected government that has been out of office for a few terms and wants to make a fashion statement. Flag will look awesome with just the southern cross on it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:30 AM   #425
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

By then the ambient smog will be so bad, you can't see any star fields from ground level, so you might as well nix the Southern Cross too.

Old May 21 2013, 01:44 AM   #426
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

There should have been more dissent between Starfleet and Maquis but I don't think it was a bad idea to have the Maquis quickly become Starfleet.

It was clear at the time it was in their best interest to get along with the Starfleet crew. Also, even if they disagreed with Janeway's decision I can see some of the Maquis respecting it. The Maquis rebelled to fight against Cardassians stealing their homes. Janeway destroyed the array to stop the Kazon from stealing the Ocampan homes.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 02:23 AM   #427
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

When Tuvok started serial killing Maquis in Repression... He had to select an order in which to kill the Maquis he killed didn't he? Janeway would have noticed if crew was being knocked off alphabetically, but since Vulcans are Vulcans, there must still have been a clearly logical pattern to his assasinations? Killing in order of height seems arbitary but what if he was killing the Maquis in an order of competency as reflected from 7 years worth of crew evaluations? Obviously since he didn't kill B'Elanna and Chakotay, the Vulcan machurian candidate must have been picking off the dead wood first.

Old May 22 2013, 11:10 PM   #428
MacLeod
Admiral

Brit wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post

No I didn't, I completely understood that you saw what I said as wrong because I used British instead of English. I accept that you see these designations in a different way than what I meant. It apparently confused you. What you are seeming to miss is my explanation that I didn't mean "political states" at all, I meant "regional" or "cultural" differences that can occur within "political states".

Are you as careful in designating the difference between the United States, Canada, and Mexico when you use the word American?
But rightly or wrongly the term American is given to people from the USA, The term N. American would encompass Canada, Mexico and the USA.

You forgot to mention places like Brazil, Peru, Chile etc.. after all aren't they in America as well (S. America that is)?

But Scots, Welsh etc.. do not like it when people refer incorrectly to the UK as England, or use terms like British when they mean English or Scottish etc...
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 01:01 AM   #429
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

She already that admitted that she understood all that, but had a temporary brain fart.

These things happen.

I have a wonderful bit, which pisses people off endlessly, where I claim that "America" as we understand it conceptually, doesn't really have a name of it's own, or at all, for some of the reasons your suggested before I get obtuse and tie the truth in a big fucking bow, that if it doesn't have a name then it might not exist.

"The United states of America is just a description of a 50 regions on the greater continent of America, just like I could say that you are a bag of meat."

And so on.

Old May 23 2013, 03:10 AM   #430
stj
Rear Admiral

Proper names for "America?"

El Norte?

Or as William Shatner, star of Incubus, might say, Usono?
Old May 23 2013, 03:41 AM   #431
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

They should have named it Vespucci, then it might have had some Italian styling.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 04:54 AM   #432
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You know that Amerigo was a big liar.

Why humour his ghost?

Old May 25 2013, 03:37 PM   #433
Brit
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
"The United states of America is just a description of a 50 regions on the greater continent of America, just like I could say that you are a bag of meat."

And so on.
LOL and you are mostly right. Now there is all these parts of the US that want to promote "state's rights" over "federal jurisdiction", they seem to have forgotten that we fought a civil war over that one almost one hundred and fifty years ago and they lost. Only then some states wanted to right to sanction slavery while it was prohibited on the federal level. The division was so bad for a while before the civil war that you couldn't bring in a new state without bringing in one on the opposite side.

A lot of states are mostly alike, Louisiana and Mississippi for example. I'm from Texas and as we say here, "Texas is like a whole nother country." (FYI that isn't a typo). Oklahoma with it's multiple Native American cultures has a lot of diversity culture wise. Although if Mother Nature doesn't stop wiping it out with EF5 Tornados, everyone just might pack up and leave.

Old May 25 2013, 11:46 PM   #434
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And you perfectly understand that you belong to a conquered and beaten slave race yourself my Texan friend?

Texas was an independent country in it's own right for nine years until the capitalist pig US forces invaded, ate your women, raped your cattle, and planted their flag.

How can you look at your face in the mirror every morning without the contempt of accepting that you let your evil overlords live?

What an odd new thought...

If Mexico had claimed your wide open planes instead of the US in 1845, and held on to those fresh and vital oilfields until some bastard knew what to do with them, would that have completely changed the shape of World War One? You can't tell me that Texas, Mexico and Germany wouldn't have sucked Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana in after a ridiculous show of force, situating a Greater Germanic Republic on the American continent, all but castrating the US as a superpower in the 20th century?

Oh, and if Kaiser Willy had won the first one, then Hitler wouldn't have had the political disporia to draw upon creating his own disgruntled powerbase, and stuck to house painting.

Oh. Did I just blame Texas for the hallocaust?

Sorry, these things really do get away from me sometimes.

Old May 26 2013, 04:45 AM   #435
Brit
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
If Mexico had claimed your wide open planes instead of the US in 1845, and held on to those fresh and vital oilfields until some bastard knew what to do with them, would that have completely changed the shape of World War One? You can't tell me that Texas, Mexico and Germany wouldn't have sucked Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana in after a ridiculous show of force, situating a Greater Germanic Republic on the American continent, all but castrating the US as a superpower in the 20th century?
Probably not Guy, you do know that when Texas was petitioning for statehood they were putting pressure on the US by threating to claim all the territory from the edge of the Louisiana Purchase to the Pacific Ocean. Oh and Mexico did try to reclaim the Texas territories which is why the US had to fight a war with them in the 1840's after Texas was declared a state.

I don't think that there was any kind of conspiracy to take Texas by the Germans because the second wave of immigrants came over to escape the First World War, but that was after Napoleon tried to set up his puppet Emperor in Mexico in the 1860's. He was probably pretty pissed at the deal the US got to purchase the Louisiana Territory and saw this as a chance to get a foothold in the Americas. That worked just about as well as his idea to invade Russia in the winter.

You can say a lot of things about Texas but it has never been dull. LOL Did you know we have a state lizard - A Texas Horned Lizard otherwise known as a Horned Frog and (ok don't laugh) or a Horney Toad.

Kind of an ugly little thing, but you know it can shoot blood out of its eyes. A fact used by Texas Christian University whose mascot is a Horned Frog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-dW6EAmc4