RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,713
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 878
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 14 2013, 05:30 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Space Seed Lost Scenes

Going through the papers of Star Trek Writer/Director Nicholas Meyer, college professors John and Maria Jose Tenuto uncovered plenty of behind-the-scenes information from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan that has not been released to the public. A further search through UCLA archival materials uncovered information about lost scenes, both filmed and unfilmed, for the [...]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:33 PM   #2
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Re: Space Seed Lost Scenes

I always wondered how the silly rumor got started that Montalban wore a plastic chest for TWOK. Was it so hard to believe a man of his age stayed in shape?
Old March 14 2013, 10:59 PM   #3
James T. Vader
Lieutenant

Didn't see anything about an attack on London, trips to Kronos, or Enterprise under the ocean...
James T. Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 11:11 PM   #4
M
Vice Admiral

Is this stuff legit? How and where exactly would the "McCoy teaches Kirk how to use glasses" scene fit into "Space Seed"? And is it really confirmed that Carey Wilber wrote the original story only two weeks after the premiere of the show?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

M wrote: View Post
Is this stuff legit? How and where exactly would the "McCoy teaches Kirk how to use glasses" scene fit into "Space Seed"? And is it really confirmed that Carey Wilber wrote the original story only two weeks after the premiere of the show?
There are two drafts of the story outline in the Roddenberry files at UCLA. One is dated 8/29/66; the other is dated 9/1/66. Those were both finished before the show premeired in the United States.

The story linked to in the original post, however, references the first draft of the script. The one in the Roddenberry files is dated 12/7/66, a couple of months -- not weeks -- after the show premiered. There's also a final draft (credited to Coon and Roddenberry) in the Bob Justman files, dated 12/13/66, at least according to the finding aid.

I have no doubt that their findings are legitimate. They're not trying to prove an argument as far as I can tell, so there really isn't any reason for the two academics to falsify their research.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
M
Vice Admiral

^ Oh, okay, many thanks for the info! I was unsure about the timetable there. I'm still baffled about the fact that glasses scene was written for "Space Seed", though.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 11:49 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

M wrote: View Post
How and where exactly would the "McCoy teaches Kirk how to use glasses" scene fit into "Space Seed"?
My guess would be that the glasses are a 20th-century artifact found aboard the sleeper ship, and McCoy explains what they were used for.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 11:50 PM   #8
Nightowl1701
Commander

The "McCoy teaches Kirk to use glasses" scene," if it would fit anywhere, would be early in the episode when Khan's recuperating in Sickbay. What would a bunch of genetically enhanced "supermen" need with glasses, anyway? Kind of defeats the whole purpose...

But I'm having a hard time believing it - Kirk certainly wasn't middle-aged in that episode, nor would Roddenberry portray him as such even in a story outline. James Blish was clearly working from an earlier version of the screenplay (probably the 12/7/66 draft), and he didn't include it in his novelization. And if this page is any clue, it's certainly not in the 12/13/66 draft.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 12:25 AM   #9
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

The eyeglasses scene doesn't make sense.

I can buy Kirk questioning their presence in his 23rd century (where vision problems don't require mechanical eyewear).
I can buy the fact that eyeglasses are a rare sight in everyday life in Kirk's time.

But I don't buy Kirk needing McCoy to explain how they function. Certainly Kirk is vaguely familiar with photos of people from history, and there are millions of such photos of people wearing eyeglasses. Kirk should know what those things are, how they were worn. It shouldn't be a mindboggler for Kirk.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 12:28 AM   #10
Harvey
Admiral

No doubt why the scene was cut.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 12:44 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
I can buy Kirk questioning their presence in his 23rd century (where vision problems don't require mechanical eyewear).
I can buy the fact that eyeglasses are a rare sight in everyday life in Kirk's time.

But I don't buy Kirk needing McCoy to explain how they function. Certainly Kirk is vaguely familiar with photos of people from history, and there are millions of such photos of people wearing eyeglasses. Kirk should know what those things are, how they were worn. It shouldn't be a mindboggler for Kirk.
Remember, this was from an early draft of the script written before the characters as we know them were well established. Sure, the Kirk we know today is a history buff and knows what glasses were, but the Kirk Carey Wilber knew when he wrote the draft was still much more vaguely defined.

And as Harvey suggests, there are a lot of things in first-draft scripts that don't work or don't make sense, which is why they're called "first-draft" instead of "only-draft."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 01:13 AM   #12
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Harvey wrote: View Post
No doubt why the scene was cut.
Well, my hunch is that Mr. Bruce Ingram from the Lake County New-Sun just got some facts mixed up. I see that in The Wrath of Khan script, there was the following conversation betwen Kirk and McCoy:

They drink. The package is opened: a pair of gold
"Ben Franklin" half-glasses. (N.B.: Romulan Ale is
an INSTANT DRUNK: both men react.)

KIRK
Cheers. Bones, these are... charming.

BONES

Four hundred years old. You don't
find many with the loens still
intact.

KIRK
Uh -- what are they?

BONES
For your eyes. For most patients
of your age, I generally administer
Retlax Five to restore flexibility
of the lens.

KIRK
But I'm allergic to Retlax.

BONES
Exactly. Happy birthday.

He toasts. Kirk is unsure how they work.

BONES
(continung)
Slide them down your nose. Now look
at me over the top. And you read
printed matter through the bottom.

KIRK
(reacts)
Amazing! I don't know what to say.

BONES
Say thank you.

KIRK
Thank you.

An awkward silence.

(etc. etc etc.)

So when the article says "But the real finds involved lost scenes that were filmed but never released," I'm thinking that this "filmed but not released" scene was from The Wrath of Khan, not from "Space Seed." I think someone simply misunderstood--either Mr. Ingram or T'Bonz. (Maybe the unused scene was unused in both productions--but I think it's probably referring to just TWOK.)
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 01:26 AM   #13
Nightowl1701
Commander

But it was filmed, and it is in the movie.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 01:32 AM   #14
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
But it was filmed, and it is in the movie.
Well. not really. It cuts from Bones' "Exactly. Happy Birthday," to Kirk's "I don't know what to say." The "teaching Kirk how to use the glasses" line wasn't used. It's this line that's missing in TWOK. But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old March 15 2013, 01:47 AM   #15
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Oops. Double post. Sorry.