Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old March 27 2013, 12:21 PM   #16
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Trek Keyboards

Timo wrote: View Post
I've cited a very convincing example just two posts above yours.
You misunderstand - I wanted to postulate a hypothetical situation where voice recognition (or, say, telepathic recognition) works with absolute perfection, come hell or high water or the noises of a newsroom. It now perfectly takes your dictation. What then?
Then we have fifteen people talking at the same time in the same tiny room, while trying to concentrate just enough to write complex articles, which by the way is not easy to do when you have to dictate them. It's not a matter of technology. It's a matter of being able to think.
Old March 27 2013, 12:27 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral

And still the point stands - no matter whether the clearing of those hurdles is possible or not, it's simply not going to produce the result the OP wanted.

Designing a machine capable of taking your dictation is possible one way or another, make no mistake, but yeah, it may be somewhat difficult. Yet when it finally happens, the one thing it won't result in is a fancy new type of keyboard.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 01:01 PM   #18
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
In "The Cage" / "The Menagerie" Spock was doing his "power point" presentation of the Talos star group by the move of his right hand without touching a panel or a button.

And in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" Gary Mitchell just activated a component on his console by letting his hand pass over the console without ever touching it.
I can see why they went back to traditional button-pushing when the show went into production. The hand-waving made Spock and Gary Mitchell look like stage magicians.
Old March 27 2013, 02:11 PM   #19
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I have to add that the voice recognition software of the Google app on my Surface is freakishly efficient.
Old March 27 2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Timo
Admiral

To be sure, neither of the sleighs-of-hand may necessarily have been intended to be interpreted that way.

It's well-known that Spock in that scene is gesturing next to an observant seated underling who probably was intended to be pushing the buttons of the slide projector, but very fortunate framing of the shot leaves the gal out of the picture and creates this far more futuristic impression.

Gary in turn simply seems to prefer punching the buttons with the edge of his hand, rather than his fingers, as this appears more laid-back in keeping with his character.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 02:29 PM   #21
Mytran
Fleet Captain

For those who don't know about Spock waving, see http://startrekhistory.com/cagepage.html and cycle through the "Additional Scenes And Film Elements" about halfway down the page.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 03:18 PM   #22
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ I see, he was signalling the female bridge officer to change the picture but I can't help the feeling she should be visible in this screencap.

It would appear to be some kind of misunderstanding, that inspired Gary Mitchell's similar action in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" - probably nobody told the director of the second pilot how to correctly interpret Spock's gesture in "The Cage".

After that they fixed it - unfortunately...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 11:26 PM   #23
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

For what it's worth, QWERTY lives on in the alternate reality!
Old March 27 2013, 11:34 PM   #24
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, they split the keys in the wrong place!
Old March 28 2013, 02:54 AM   #25
Johnny
Commander

I think for a specific set of commands, such as showing a list of local starbases; in the same way you would select a menu option in word to create a mail merge then the idea of a console with a set of function buttons becomes useful. As soon as you're in a program with a specific function, then toolbar shortcuts can become your new keyboard.

Current computers serve more than one purpose, where a star trek terminal has a specific requirement. Also, the data on this planet isn't organised in a well enough fashion that we can provide a single form of interacting with it with what amounts to shortcuts.

As soon as information becomes uniformly organised (and the extremely unlikely concept that a computer has a requirement for a single set of tasks ) then we'll start seeing changes on a commercial scale.

But I still dain't think it'll happen...
Old March 28 2013, 07:33 AM   #26
scotpens
Vice Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
For what it's worth, QWERTY lives on in the alternate reality!
And that's a picture of . . . WHAT, exactly?
Old March 28 2013, 12:05 PM   #27
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The centre part of a bridge perimeter station on the Enterprise.
Old April 7 2013, 02:36 AM   #28
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I've cited a very convincing example just two posts above yours.
You misunderstand - I wanted to postulate a hypothetical situation where voice recognition (or, say, telepathic recognition) works with absolute perfection, come hell or high water or the noises of a newsroom. It now perfectly takes your dictation. What then?
Then we have fifteen people talking at the same time in the same tiny room, while trying to concentrate just enough to write complex articles, which by the way is not easy to do when you have to dictate them. It's not a matter of technology. It's a matter of being able to think.
I don't want the girl sitting next to me to know that I'm googling her. Or that I'm looking at pr0n. Or that I want to input to the computer while talking to someone else.

Im sure I can think of other instances when I'd want to type as opposed to voice input.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 03:44 AM   #29
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I don't want the girl sitting next to me to know that I'm googling her. Or that I'm looking at pr0n. Or that I want to input to the computer while talking to someone else.

Im sure I can think of other instances when I'd want to type as opposed to voice input.
"Computer, Google that hot girl sitting three feet from me!"
*slap*
"Computer, Google remedies for cheek pain from slapping."
Old April 8 2013, 03:14 PM   #30
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Just noticed a detail about a supposedly advanced alien civilization (by TOS standards):

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x...arthhd1282.jpg

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote