Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 4 2013, 01:11 PM   #16
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week: 2x09 "The Measure Of A Man"

I think this is a good episode, but not great. The Offspring took a second bite at this apple and overall hung together more solidly.

The main problem with TMOAM, as I saw it, was that it raised more issues than it could possibly answer. The resolution was therefore anticlimactic due to its triteness and banality; the fundamental questions were all left unanswered. Data was never in any real jeopardy, because he was a main cast member. Maintaining the status quo was an inevitability, and ultimately the extent of the judicial decision.

Raising the questions was a good—albeit obvious—thing to do. The episode just bit off more than it could chew. Even so, in the context of the surrounding episodes, it maintained the upward trend already underway in the second season.

The Offspring dealt with the issue of dodging the fundamental questions by having the luxury of killing off Lal to resolve the dramatic tension; TMOAM was not in a position to take that out.
Old April 4 2013, 01:18 PM   #17
MikeS
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Data was never in any real jeopardy, because he was a main cast member. Maintaining the status quo was an inevitability...
I thought that about Tasha Yar in Skin of Evil.
Old April 4 2013, 01:29 PM   #18
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
Data was never in any real jeopardy, because he was a main cast member. Maintaining the status quo was an inevitability...
Yeah, I saw that episode, too.
Old April 4 2013, 01:48 PM   #19
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Huh?
Old April 4 2013, 06:31 PM   #20
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
yousirname wrote: View Post
I do like to argue, and a huge part of arguing is thinking ahead. So every time I see Riker turn Data off, I think to myself that if I'm Picard, that's when I get up and knock Riker out with a hypospray, then wake him up with another and be like, the defence rests, yo.
No need to assault the advocate. One could make the point that the 21st century survivors in The Neutral Zone were turned off, placed in storage, and turned back on in a manner very similar to what we've seen with Data and Lore.
yousirname wrote: View Post
Well, yeah. But my way's more dramatic.
If it is drama you seek, forgo the hypospray and put his lights out with a right cross.

If you're a Trek traditionalist, a judo chop is also acceptable:

Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 09:33 PM   #21
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Huh?
After Skin of Evil, there wasn't a single moment in the entire series when I thought that any of the main cast were ever in any peril.

Maybe you can look over http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Skin...ode)#Reception, and tell me why the producers would have pulled a stunt like that again. Start with:

Most involved with The Next Generation felt that "Skin of Evil" was an unmitigated disaster
Old April 4 2013, 09:46 PM   #22
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I just read Snodgrass's original script for Ensigns of Command. Very good, but I liked the episode as aired better. The romantic part didn't feel like it fit. Hrathans were changed to Sheliak, a change I liked.

Interestingly, the coolest parts of that episode were not explicitly in the script:

"That was the stun setting.....this is not." and Picard checking the Enterprise plaque for dust. The conclusion with Data and the aqueduct was much better in the episode I thought.

Snodgrass's legal background lent itself to some good episodes involving laws and treaties. As good as The Drumhead was, I bet she could have made it better.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 12:19 AM   #23
Mojochi
Commodore

Danny99 wrote: View Post
It's a pretty weak episode until the Picard/Guinan Ten Forward scene and the court room scene that follows. The rest of it is just sort of flat.
Really? I didn't think that at all, quite the opposite. The only real minor flaw in the episode is the Picard/Guinan scene imo, because it's somewhat heavy handed & a little hard to swallow that he'd be fighting for someone's liberties & not have thought of what taking someone's liberties would ultimately mean, second class citizenship & possibly slavery

Granted though, it's a futuristic sci-fi, so you can buy into him being evolved enough to have let that slip by him... I guess. Plus, it was wonderfully performed by Stewart & Goldberg, so that kind of makes up for it being the "Hard sell" of the script

Certainly doesn't diminish it's brilliance as an episode on the whole though. It's the 1st truly great episode they made
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote