Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 25 2013, 01:18 PM   #1
indolover
Fleet Captain

Picard's speeches

People often deride this aspect of the character, but I always liked it. IMO, the strength of Picard is his wisdom and intellect, which to me makes him a good leader. Some may think it makes him preachy, but I believe it's just an offshoot of this facet of the character. My favourite is in his hearing in The Drumhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_t2fFF3B0 - this is an example lol..
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 01:36 PM   #2
yousirname
Commander

Re: Picard's speeches

Doing Shakespeare probably trains you up to do speechifying really well. Stewart always manages to sell even the weaker-written soliloquies.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Use of Time
Commodore

I agree. I loved his interactions with Armus in Skin of Evil. Leadership styles are different but I would find his presence calming when things are going badly.
Old March 25 2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

Too funny...

http://youtu.be/45VAelC_QsI
Old March 25 2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Well Picard was the diplomat, so he'd need to be good at the big speeches (plus Patrick Stewart has a great voice, I could listen to him all day long).

Not everyone can manage to be so eloquent, you just have to listen to one of Archer's to see how badly speeches can be given.
Old March 26 2013, 12:13 AM   #6
Gojira
Commodore

I grew up on TOS in the 70s. It is still my favorite Trek series but TNG is close behind. As I have grown older I find that Kirk was a bit of jerk at times with his hard headed attitude. Now Picard could be tough but he also was a polished professional and that came across in his dealing with people.
Old March 26 2013, 01:21 AM   #7
RAMA
Vice Admiral

indolover wrote: View Post
People often deride this aspect of the character, but I always liked it. IMO, the strength of Picard is his wisdom and intellect, which to me makes him a good leader. Some may think it makes him preachy, but I believe it's just an offshoot of this facet of the character. My favourite is in his hearing in The Drumhead.

They do? I've seen Picard derided for delegating command by the old fogies, but I'm not sure I ever heard Picard derided for his speeches...which actually are shorter, fewer, and far between compared to Kirk's speeches.
Old March 26 2013, 03:58 AM   #8
JessDD
Lieutenant

Picard delivered the best speeches out of all the Captains, at least so far. The British thing definitely gives him an edge in that area.
Old March 28 2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Mojochi
Commodore

The one at the end of The Wounded was like a cool breeze blew in the room. I expected to see the steam from his breath by the end. I'd have to take issue with anybody who criticized that man's ability to give a speech
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I still find it hard to believe that the producers actually debated whether to include this line or not:
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 03:27 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Picard was definitely the best captain in regards to speaking ability. He had a calming presence that just projects confidence. It really was a shame and silly that they started trying to turn the character into an action hero later on in TNG and especially the movies.
Old April 10 2013, 06:31 PM   #12
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

My favourite is in his hearing in The Drumhead.
Hearings.

One of the few places NuBSG exceeds TNG is the comparison of the hearing of Picard and the hearing of Adama. After a relatively short period of time, Adama said "enough of this" and started to leave the room. When the proscuter told him to stop, he had her thrown into the brig.

It was never made clear over the next few years if Adama ever let her out.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 05:43 AM   #13
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

With a voice like Stewart's, well, you have to write long speeches for him. I swear to God the way that man speaks is pure music.
Old April 11 2013, 04:39 PM   #14
sonak
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
My favourite is in his hearing in The Drumhead.
Hearings.

One of the few places NuBSG exceeds TNG is the comparison of the hearing of Picard and the hearing of Adama. After a relatively short period of time, Adama said "enough of this" and started to leave the room. When the proscuter told him to stop, he had her thrown into the brig.

It was never made clear over the next few years if Adama ever let her out.

having Picard act more like a tyrant would have improved TNG? No thanks. Adama could be a despot, and I didn't like the character all that much. Also, Satie outranked Picard, he couldn't have thrown her in the brig.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 06:21 PM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Also, Satie outranked Picard, he couldn't have thrown her in the brig.
If Starfleet is similar to the US Navy (as I and others believe), Captain Picard actually could have placed Admiral Satie in confinement. Her being of superior rank wouldn't have stopped that all by itself. If her offense warrented the brig, then she would have been placed there.

True, more likely her confinement would have been in her quarters with communications and computer access restricted. But if she refused to co-operate, then throwing Satie into the brig wouldn't have been out of the question.

RHIP only goes so far.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote